Fat cat ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fat cat ?

Options
cripps
cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
hello folks, ok I’m looking for wise old owl ? I’ve currently got a fat cat that i saved from the street , he wasn’t fat then he was skinny and looked like he was dragged through a hedge backwards . The problem I’ve got now  is that every time i try and feed him he just sniffs his food and walks away, he also gives me a look like it’s rat poison ☠️ . I’ve tried the most expensive to the cheapest and i still i end up throwing most of it away and it’s costing me a fortune. So folks hit me with your input and save my sanity ( money including) NC

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @cripps is he an indoor cat or an outdoor cat?

From my experience they are among the best scavengers around and if food is available they will find. One of ours used to go out on the balcony, jump over the roof and got to the next block. One our neighbours from the other block stopped my wife and asked if he was ours. Her boyfriend got home late so she fed his roast chicken dinner to our cat. A few years ago we had an estate cat, with four different names it responded to and around 6 people who regularly fed it.

As he is fat he is obviously getting food from somewhere, or lots of treats. Try a mixture of dry and wet food and different flavours. Wet food we remove if it starts to dry out. Cut out any treats you may be giving him, and any food left over should be thrown away or covered/put away so he cannot get at it.

Also does he get plenty of exercise? Two very cheap toys that keep our cat active is a stick one that we swing a feather around which he enjoys stalking and catching, the other is a ball in a plastic ring which she pushes around. Favourite non toys include any money I leave lying around and the tie on my bath robe. Event though we have a variety of toys that she enjoys playing with when she can be bothered.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Sometimes cats just don't seem to want to eat and that is fine, as long as the food is available on a regular basis I don't worry about it. Also as it is going to be a warm weekend this sometimes put them off their food as well.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• cripps
    Options
    That’s great thanks, he is a out door cat really because he was a stray when i took him in and so he probably has 1 or 2 houses ? all feeding him at the same time. When i took him in i promised him he would never go without food again so maybe I’m slightly over feeding. The info you posted was great and informative, I’ll take it all in and ease up on the grub. Thank you ?. NC
  • cripps
    Options
    Really quiet a coincidences, i made a will not long back and left all my money to the RSPCA, with not having a family i thought this was the best option, on a negative side with my illness getting worse by the day insurance for him i didn’t know what to do. The last time i took him to the vet i asked them if they knew somewhere that would take him in if it got to a point where i couldn’t look after him, they came up with a charity called TAILS, this is a little upsetting but maybe it’s for the best. If you’ve heard different please don’t hold back and tell me you know of a better place he could go. 
  • dee4848
    dee4848 Community member Posts: 256 Pioneering
    Options
    He's Beautiful.
  • cripps
    Options
    He’s my pal. 
  • cripps
    Options
    Do you have any animals? 
  • dee4848
    Options
    cripps said:
    He’s my pal. 
    He will be lost without his Pall
  • dee4848
    Options
    cripps said:
    Do you have any animals? 
    Yes I have 2 Dogs my best friend passed away last year aged 15 Jack russel
  • cripps
    Options
    Thats lovely to have your dogs ? and myself with my cat it’s makes life that little more pleasant, i know sometimes they get under your feet and whine about food and walks but really to have 4 ( or in your case 8 ) little furry legs running around  it puts a smile on your face. Love them back because that’s what they give us. 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Options
    What a lovely chap! Both the cat and you! How old is he?
  • cripps
    Options
    Good morning to you you are a extremely early bird, anyway thank you for the compliment i don’t get those ever day ( well not at all really) I could say the same about you and you know what i will, you seem a very pleasant lovely person. To answer your question my little chap is round about 5 according to the vet but because i saved him from the street it’s a little hard to tell. NC
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Hi cripps
    Did you know cats can give the appearance of being fat if they are bloated with worms.I know you have probably already wormed him as you have taken him to the vets but as a cat owner myself and having had rescues in the past it can often be overlooked.
    Please don’t worry about the eating habits a cat will not starve himself it is likely that if he was a stray he may have other places he likes to eat.
    They often have several part time homes. It looks as though your handsome boy is pretty settled with you now.
    If you have a Facebook account and need any advice there is a group called Catshit+1 Most of the members there will gladly give you the benefit of any answers you require.(Apologies in advance if this part of post is not allowed)
       Debsidoo1.x
  • cripps
    Options
    Ok thanks ( not sure about the name but I’ll give it a go) i do worm ? him regular with wormer and flea treatment from the vets so really he should be worm free. I’ll take him to the vets next week after the hols have finished and let them take a look but i am pretty sure he’s good ( well hopefully). Thanks for the heads. NC

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.