Home assessment - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Home assessment

2»

Comments

• theresa73
    theresa73 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    My assesor asked me if I had been sectioned or been in any mental health hospiral. So I do think questions were random I had everything from do you wipe yourself when you go toilet  to being sectioned and physical   he might as well of put a bright light to my face the way he seemed like he was interrogating me..  I will be getting a health professional next time   I don't want to go there that again.. last time i went through that  the court took all my money off me and I successfully replied.. it's mental draining. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @theresa73 Please have you seen the posts on PIP on the forum. Understand there is some information and advice on doing PIP plus other helpful stuff.

Consider have a look and see if any of it helps.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • dee4848
    dee4848 Community member Posts: 256 Pioneering
    theresa73 said:
    My assesor asked me if I had been sectioned or been in any mental health hospiral. So I do think questions were random I had everything from do you wipe yourself when you go toilet  to being sectioned and physical   he might as well of put a bright light to my face the way he seemed like he was interrogating me..  I will be getting a health professional next time   I don't want to go there that again.. last time i went through that  the court took all my money off me and I successfully replied.. it's mental draining. 
    Yes i was asked about my toilet needs also but thats just based on what you say on your claim form
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    theresa73 said:
    I was stupid enough to give him drivers license for id.. I don't know why I opened my big trap about driving.. I did say that I only drive twice a week  with my cusion in the car with me..   I noticed he was asking the same question differently to see if he could catch me out.. now im going over it all im realising I could of trripped myself up a few times..  they are bloody clever x

Not clever enough in my opinion. They wouldn't get through a simple first interview if they were employed by either the police of the DWP fraud department. They think that they are clever. 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    @Yadnad Agreed! News story: https://www.buzzfeed.com/emilydugan/most-dwp-benefits-cases-which-reach-court-are-based-on-bad?utm_term=.da2bXYBeE#.ufYmpb41n

"Britain’s most senior tribunal judge says most of the benefits cases that reach court are based on bad decisions where the Department for Work and Pensions has no case at all.

Sir Ernest Ryder, senior president of tribunals, also said the quality of evidence provided by the DWP is so poor it would be “wholly inadmissible” in any other court...

Commenting on the poor quality of the DWP’s evidence, he said that after sitting in on one tribunal for a day, not one of the cases he saw had an assessment that was dated, named, or signed.

Ryder said the court typically did not “even know what the professional qualification or registration number was of the author”. He said this meant “in expert evidence terms in any other organisation you and I know of, it would be wholly inadmissible."

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Driving question a la ATOS:

At assessment
    Assessor: Do you drive?
    Me: No
    A: Do you have a license?
    Me: No. I used to have one from the US, but it expired years ago.

Has license from US, but DVLA has not been informed that she is medically unfit to drive.

(I got a clear sense of, "Ha! Caught you!" from that sentence.)

My MR submission
    The assessor states that I have a driver's license. I do not. I used to have one from the US, as I lived there before moving to the UK, but it expired two or three years after I moved here. As I'm neither a US citizen nor a US resident, I couldn't renew it. Regardless, in the UK one can only drive on a foreign license for 12 months, and I've lived here for 12 years.

The assessor states that the DVLA hasn't been informed that I'm medically unfit to drive. As I don't have a license, it isn't necessary to inform the DVLA of anything. If I did have a license (I DO NOT), I would not feel safe driving, as some of the medications I take on a regular basis make me unsteady on my feet, drowsy, and lacking in concentration. The gov.uk website states (sections which are not relevant have been elided):
    --------------------------------------------------------

Prescription medicines

It’s illegal in England and Wales to drive with legal drugs in your body if it impairs your driving... Talk to your doctor about whether you should drive if you’ve been prescribed any of the following drugs:

• amphetamine, eg dexamphetamine or selegiline
    • clonazepam

• diazepam

• flunitrazepam
    • lorazepam
    • methadone
    • morphine or opiate and opioid-based drugs, eg codeine, tramadol or fentanyl

• oxazepam
    • temazepam

You can drive after taking these drugs if:

• you’ve been prescribed them and followed advice on how to take them by a healthcare professional
    • they aren’t causing you to be unfit to drive even if you’re above the specified limits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I take tramadol almost every day (multiple times), morphine 1-3 times a month, and diazepam or clonazepam approximately 3 times a week.

Wow, assessor, you got me good.

Grades for this section of the report:
    Listening - F
    General knowledge - F
    Research - F

Needs work.

• theresa73
    theresa73 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Morning.   I know I would of failed my assessment straight away because i said u drive 2 days a week. I don't have a choice but to.  I have to put my pain aside for the sake of my child.. the days I pick her up I inly have paracetamol and in the evening tramadol when there is another adult in the house..  my blood clotting disorder has turned my life upside down. .. but atos arnt concerned with that  they would just rather catch you out..  it's seems to me like disabled people can't be parents or disabled people can't drive  or any any slight sense of normality in their lives because if they do  then they are not intitelled to PIP..  The fight and scrutinizing for it doesn't seem worth it..
  • lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    Done that to me said because i drive it takes great powers of thought and strength. I done MR and said there thousands of disabled people it this country that drive modern day power assisted cars.
    My question for them is why do you have Motability schemes for disabled people if they cant drive.
    Contradicting and very one sided.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.