I wasn't asked if I'd like DLA to be used as evidence for PIP claim! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I wasn't asked if I'd like DLA to be used as evidence for PIP claim!

Gaina
Gaina Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
I'm just reading through a few other websites about PIP and didn't realise that my initial PIP claim could be used as evidence - I was not asked this question in the initial phone call.

Should I give them permission to use my DLA claim as evidence for PIP in question 15 where it gives you the opportunity to add more information?  If so, how should I word it?

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi Gaina
    I would give them permission but still fill out the new form as thoroughly as you can.The DWP told me that they cannot always access your DLA original claim when deciding on PIP so I would just fill it out from fresh giving as much detail as you can.
    Dont forget,anything sent should be by signed for post to avoid it being mislaid at the other end and keep copies of all correspondence.
    Any doubts with the form and you could ask Citizens Advice to help bearing in mind that it can take a few weeks to get an appointment as they are really swamped with PIP and ESA forms so if in doubt ring DWP and ask for extra time they will usually oblige.Good Luck.
             Debsidoo.x

• Gaina
    debsidoo said:
    Hi Gaina
    I would give them permission but still fill out the new form as thoroughly as you can.The DWP told me that they cannot always access your DLA original claim when deciding on PIP so I would just fill it out from fresh giving as much detail as you can.
    Dont forget,anything sent should be by signed for post to avoid it being mislaid at the other end and keep copies of all correspondence.
    Any doubts with the form and you could ask Citizens Advice to help bearing in mind that it can take a few weeks to get an appointment as they are really swamped with PIP and ESA forms so if in doubt ring DWP and ask for extra time they will usually oblige.Good Luck.
             Debsidoo.x

Thank you! I'm definitely copying everything and sending the PIP2 form recorded delivery. ?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    DWP only asked me if I wanted my DLA medical reports included with my PIP claim, not my whole DLA claim.  I don't know if the whole DLA claim can be included or just the medical reports.  You could ask DWP.
  • Gaina
    Matilda said:
    DWP only asked me if I wanted my DLA medical reports included with my PIP claim, not my whole DLA claim.  I don't know if the whole DLA claim can be included or just the medical reports.  You could ask DWP.

At what point did they ask this? I wasn't asked in the phone call and there's nothing on the form.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    When I made the initial call to say I wanted to claim PIP.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    Gaina said:
    I'm just reading through a few other websites about PIP and didn't realise that my initial PIP claim could be used as evidence - I was not asked this question in the initial phone call.
    Should I give them permission to use my DLA claim as evidence for PIP in question 15 where it gives you the opportunity to add more information?  If so, how should I word it?
    When you start off a PIP claim on transfer from DLA what you are asked on the telephone is a far cry to what the PIP1 form asks. The form is very comprehensive and as you have found out it gives you the opportunity to have your DLA file as well as other benefits such as ESA used as evidence to back up your claim.. 
    This is what the PIP1 looks like:
    http://www.piduk.org/static/media/up/pip1-claim-form.pdf

Getting the DWP to send out a PIP1 instead of having the telephone call to ensure that your rights are given to you is extremely difficult. They will tell you that you MUST use the telephone as they don't have a form for you to fill in.
  • ChrisK2
    ChrisK2 Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    edited May 2018

I was never asked about my original DLA claim form (still have photo copies even now even if they don’t) and the evidenced I did have stemmed back to my claim in 2008 (short term award) and my re-claim (2013 indefinite term award).

I’ve always thought that the current PIP claim was for how your disability effects you today and not anytime in the past.

The only evidenced I put forward was from 2008 to 2011 when any help I was getting stopped because there was no way I was ever going to get any better, hence the indefinite award in 2013.

I wonder what’s change and did you apply for PIP of your own back or did you get the dreaded “Your DLA is ending” letter.

Having had to go to tribunal to win my case I just wonder if they just go blind to anything they don’t want to see and wakeup to anything that backs their agenda.

Sorry, just noticed this was a  reclaim from PIP to PIP so disregard anything I've said.

• Yadnad
    Gaina said:
    Matilda said:

At what point did they ask this? I wasn't asked in the phone call and there's nothing on the form.

It's on the PIP1 which the DWP are supposed to follow during the telephone call.
    Page 18
  • Yadnad
    ChrisK2 said:

I was never asked about my original DLA claim form (still have photo copies even now even if they don’t) and the evidenced I did have stemmed back to my claim in 2008 (short term award) and my re-claim (2013 indefinite term award).

I’ve always thought that the current PIP claim was for how your disability effects you today and not anytime in the past.

The only evidenced I put forward was from 2008 to 2011 when any help I was getting stopped because there was no way I was ever going to get any better, hence the indefinite award in 2013.

I wonder what’s change and did you apply for PIP of your own back or did you get the dreaded “Your DLA is ending” letter.

Having had to go to tribunal to win my case I just wonder if they just go blind to anything they don’t want to see and wakeup to anything that backs their agenda.

Sorry, just noticed this was a  reclaim from PIP to PIP so disregard anything I've said.

The DWP are supposed to ask you what evidence from past claims - ESA, DLA etc would you like to be used for the PIP claim. They generally and conveniently forget that offer during the phone call, you get it if you can get hold of the PIP1 form to start the claim off instead.
    Ironically I too was in that position not knowing anything other than what the DWP wanted me to know about. I found out too late by chance from a forum similar to this one. 
  • Gaina
    Yadnad said:
    ChrisK2 said:

The DWP are supposed to ask you what evidence from past claims - ESA, DLA etc would you like to be used for the PIP claim. They generally and conveniently forget that offer during the phone call, you get it if you can get hold of the PIP1 form to start the claim off instead.
    Ironically I too was in that position not knowing anything other than what the DWP wanted me to know about. I found out too late by chance from a forum similar to this one. 

The person I spoke to did reel off the standard 'blurb' and to be honest, now I think back I was so preoccupied that day I can't swear that wasn't part of it, so I think I'll just confirm my consent in the 'additional information' box.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Suspicious hat on.

There must be a postman signing a lot of forms if everyone records stuff. I cant see the dwp actually doing this to be fair  :)

Nothing from my DLA was
    relevant, up to date, applicable. Not when it comes to describing how I am affected in 2018 anyway.
    Even my life five years ago, I would hope is different.

I believe the reason they ask what benefits you are on is so they can inform that department of any changes. Esa sg has its own descriptors. Getting that doesn't mean you get pip and vice versa. So I don't know beyond that view why they even ask.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • april123
    april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    I was never asked didn't know what a surprise

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    Also to add I was never asked when I transferred from DLA  if I wanted my DLA or ESA used, I just sent everything relevant to the discripters of PIP and had no problem and No FTF ongoing enhanced.

Well I didn't realise how much was on the PIP 1 form it's shows a lot more to what I was asked on the phone.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Yadnad
    edited May 2018
    Also to add I was never asked when I transferred from DLA  if I wanted my DLA or ESA used, I just sent everything relevant to the discripters of PIP and had no problem and No FTF ongoing enhanced.

Well I didn't realise how much was on the PIP 1 form it's shows a lot more to what I was asked on the phone.

It certainly does. I was shocked when I found out that so much was not asked over the telephone. My DLA file contains relevant evidence of not being able to walk more than a few metres and the reasons why, it contains evidence of all of my conditions and how they affect my life and finally it also contains the original documentation that I sent to them in 2011 both from the psychiatrist/CPN/OT setting out my care plan along with a report as to the restrictions of the way I live because of my mental health problems. 
    I assumed that all of that evidence  would have been passed over to PIP but it wasn't.
    When I found out that it could have been it became too old (more than 2 years old in 2015( at re-assessment) Where all of that documentation is now I don't know - typical of the DWP they just don't know how to use joined up thinking. Even one of the PIP reviews carried out for the government suggested that the DWP should always look for information that may well be held on other files within their department.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    @Yadnad Sorry to hear this. I never trust them to pass information over it don't suit them only if it works against you they will.

One thing I've always done and still do is copy all or any of my paperwork and send all the stuff that is going to help however old it is 2,4,5 or even ten years plus if still relevant sent it even if you have before still send it.

Never ever ever just send originals. Just the copy's of any medical evidence however old it is, if it's all still relevant to how your affected, it does not or matter how old it is even though they say not over 2 years always send it.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Yadnad
    @Yadnad Sorry to hear this. I never trust them to pass information over it don't suit them only if it works against you they will.

One thing I've always done and still do is copy all or any of my paperwork and send all the stuff that is going to help however old it is 2,4,5 or even ten years plus if still relevant sent it even if you have before still send it.

Never ever ever just send originals. Just the copy's of any medical evidence however old it is, if it's all still relevant to how your affected, it does not or matter how old it is even though they say not over 2 years always send it.

Thanks, yes I have already been told that. Unfortunately I trusted the DWP to return the original documents (as the DVLA does when applying for a new driving licence and like the Passport Office does when applying for a new passport). In fact both of those departments insist that you send in the originals as copies will not be accepted.
    All of that info is now gone I presume and would be extremely difficult to get copies from the relevant bodies some 6/7 years later.
    Likewise I was always told that you should follow the rules when applying for anything from a government department. They say not older than 2 years as you say and that is what I have complied with. But I now know better.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.