Mandatory Reconsideration failed — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Mandatory Reconsideration failed

Options
MG0661
MG0661 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited May 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi everyone.

I claimed for PIP many months ago as I've been having mobility issues since around 2 years now. I've been walking with a crutch ever since. I have difficulties in walking and standing for long periods. I work, and also drive as I'm okay sat down, but once I'm up I suffer from terrible pain, along with having arthritis in my hands, but I am okay with that and it makes no difference. 

Well, moving on to PIP I was called in for an assessment, and then got my report back saying I don't qualify for PIP because I can do certain tasks i.e, talk, plan journeys, cook, clean etc. and those are tasks which I never do, they don't apply to me at all. But, what does apply to me is that I cannot walk properly, and I struggle to get out of my car. I don't have a blue disability badge so I have to park in the normal bays. I have to purposely park my car quite wide so another driver can't fit their vehicle right next to mine, because if I don't I won't be able to get out or get into my car. 

I can't park my car further away, in those empty bays, as I won't be able to walk that distance. I'd probably end up getting to the entrance and return back. 

Well moving on, when I sent a letter for a mandatory reconsideration I put these points down. On the day of the assessment and in the letter I showed full honesty. But, now I'm thinking I wish, I honestly wish I over-exaggerated. I know for a fact, there are many people, many as in hundreds and thousands out there who fake disability, who fake that they cannot work and claim allowances, claim parking badges. During the day they act as though they're suffering so much, but in the night they are running around doing all sorts! No wonder the world's a mess, the truth has very value! Many even own up to it and give others advice on how to make such false claims. My conscience won't allow me to do that. Never. I just don't know how people can do that. 

I feel sorry for myself and all those people who are genuinely unwell and are put through such difficult circumstances. 

Anyways, apologies for the rant. I'm just frustrated at the decision. I'm not well as it is and in the mandatory reconsideration letter, they stated that I seemed quite fit and fine, as in physically and my cognitive skills were fine, but hello!! My problem is my leg, not my mental health.

Ok, fair enough. I'm not so desperate about receiving money. I'm not so financially weak, but mobility wise I am. I also, wrote in the letter for mandatory reconsideration if I can qualify for a disability badge which I could at least use whilst I'm out at work, shopping etc. It would make my life easier, my family's life easier - as they are suffering with me too. But, there was no mention about this point when the letter came through from DWP. 

Lastly, so what if I don't want to go ahead with the PIP financial help, but at least claim some sort of benefit such as, the most obvious; Blue Parking Badge, is there a different procedure to that? Or do I have to go through the Tribunal re-appeal thing?? 

I'm actually going to read the letter again and see if I manage to pick out anything else. 

Finally, thank you for taking out time to read and answer this, and apologies once again. 

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @MG0661, welcome to the community.

You can apply for a blue badge without PIP, but the process is more complicated. Citizen's advice has some information on applying for a blue badge.

If you do want to go ahead with an appeal, we have a lot of useful information about appealing a DWP benefits decision on our website, including some resources on tribunals

I hope this helps!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,207 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Most MR decisions remain the same and only 20% are successful. Tribunal will give you your best chance, if you appear in person.

PIP mobility has nothing to do with getting in and out of a car, it's all about how far you can walk without pain and discomfort. For Enhanced it's 20 metres or less and for Standard it's 20-50 metres.

I'm sorry but i totally disagree with you about the fact that people claim these benefits when there's nothing wrong with them. You simply can't judge a person by how they look. Have you not ever heard of invisible disabilities??? Someone with mental health could be claiming PIP both part, yes that includes the mobility part and may well have a mobility car. Please don't judge others until you know exactly how their conditions affect them. Also people aren't just given a blue badge for no reason these days.

To claim a Blue Badge without automatically qualifying totally depends on your local councils criteria. You'll need to pop your post code into this link to see what the criteria is of your local council. They don't all have the same criteria. You would also have to attend an assessment for this and a decision will be made after that.
    https://www.gov.uk/blue-badge-scheme-information-council

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MG0661
    MG0661 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi,

Most MR decisions remain the same and only 20% are successful. Tribunal will give you your best chance, if you appear in person.

PIP mobility has nothing to do with getting in and out of a car, it's all about how far you can walk without pain and discomfort. For Enhanced it's 20 metres or less and for Standard it's 20-50 metres.

I'm sorry but i totally disagree with you about the fact that people claim these benefits when there's nothing wrong with them. You simply can't judge a person by how they look. Have you not ever heard of invisible disabilities??? Someone with mental health could be claiming PIP both part, yes that includes the mobility part and may well have a mobility car. Please don't judge others until you know exactly how their conditions affect them. Also people aren't just given a blue badge for no reason these days.

To claim a Blue Badge without automatically qualifying totally depends on your local councils criteria. You'll need to pop your post code into this link to see what the criteria is of your local council. They don't all have the same criteria. You would also have to attend an assessment for this and a decision will be made after that.
    https://www.gov.uk/blue-badge-scheme-information-council

Thank you for the reply. To that I meant. Many claim that they cannot walk properly, get help and work in private. I have come across a few who do that and also accept that they just lie. And mental health is another thing. No where have I judged a person. I have seen others who suffer more than me and they get no help either. So I feel sad for them too! 

I have mentioned that that I struggle to walk also. If you read properly! I stand for a few minutes or walk for few minutes my leg swells up and aches really badly. I have been living on pain killers since so many months because the GP’s prescribed medications haven’t made any difference!!!! 

And actual professional who knows these legalities including my own GP know what I’m going through. They are the ones who suggested me with PIP. So were they lying to me about my own health? I had even read the report they gave for my PIP claim which clearly highlighted my issue and stated that it worsened. 

I have continous appointments at GP and hospital. They send me for all sorts of tests, yet they fail to diagnose anything. So, I’ve now been booked for physio sessions, now let’s see if that helps me. 

Ive been told to walk by GP and hospital. I even try walking on a treadmill on the slowest pace, I can’t do it! Why??!!! Because of pain and discomfort! 
  • Laura99
    Laura99 Community member Posts: 62 Courageous
    Options
    I am really staggered by your post, and the suggestion that many people claim to be disabled when they are not.

If you have pain and discomfort when walking then you should put that to a panel at a tribunal.

I am so very glad that you're not claiming PIP because you need the money. That cheers me enormously.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.