My life — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My life

Smile4Dan
Smile4Dan Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hi,
My name is Dan, I'm 24 and this is being written on behalf of my sisters Mollie and Isabelle. 
When I was 3 days old I suffered from neonatal meningitis, this caused hydrocephalus and cerebalpaulsy. I had to have a VNS pacemaker inserted and a shunt to manage my hydrocephalus. I also have severe epilepsy. 
When i was 6 years old i was left unattended in a wheelchair and suffered a severe cervical spinal injury and a broken neck. I was in a halo for 9 months but this entire time i still smiled. My sisters and other carers have taken care of me since I was very young. Although i have episodic severe agitation, I am a very happy man. I spend lots of time outside in my wheelchair, I go swimming and love sensory items such as disco lights.
My sisters are currently trying to raise awareness for me as I cannot speak for myself but I want people to know how special and amazing I am. I've attatched some photos so you can see a bit of my life.

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Pippa_Scope

Good Morning I hope that you are ok????

I have just come across this post.

It has a number of photos attached.

Can you please let me know what we need to do with them????

Many thanks.
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @Smile4Dan

Thank you for sharing your story and lovely smile with us! It's great to have you here on the community.

In regards to raising awareness, have the fundraising ideas that Richard previously mentioned been helpful?

Good morning @steve51, thank you for checking up about the photos - they're fine to stay in the post :)
  • Smile4Dan
    Smile4Dan Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Hi @Smile4Dan

Thank you for sharing your story and lovely smile with us! It's great to have you here on the community.

In regards to raising awareness, have the fundraising ideas that Richard previously mentioned been helpful?

Good morning @steve51, thank you for checking up about the photos - they're fine to stay in the post :)
    Hi, I have taken a look, although that was a while ago. I'll take another look. His instagram seems to be doing the best so far. I was thinking of making some apparel, but unsure on how to start this approach

Brightness