Can I stop work to care for my daughter? — Scope | Disability forum

Can I stop work to care for my daughter?

SkyMary7 Member Posts: 55 Connected
hi im currently off sick due to depression and compassion fatigue due the effects of adopting a 7 year old little girl 17 months ago. We receive DLA and my partner gets carers allowance. I also have a rare brain condition called chari type 1. My daughter does not sleep and wakes every hour through the night screaming due abuse and trauma. Im on the sick due to the effects this is having on myself and the effect of my condition. im wanting to give work up and devote my time to my daughter. I have been advised we could claim ESA, but there are two parts. What are the chances of me being able to claim the part wherr I won't be exoected to job b search. I have applied for PIP and have my face to face interview at my home 17th May. Which is another question I have why is at in my home and not an office based interview. thank you for any advice. x


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,703 Disability Gamechanger
    I've just answered your other post but now i see more info on here. It really does get confusing when you have to posts at  the same time.

    I see you're claiming DLA and Carers Allowance for your daughter. Does your partner claim Income Support along side the Carers Allowance? If so then you should be claiming this as a couple. You can't claim ESA and Income Support.
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,797 Disability Gamechanger
    This is a scenario where the advice is always to do nothing until you’ve sought face to face advice. 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.