Pip Trubunal was today — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip Trubunal was today

amy798
amy798 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
My mum and I have just come back from her PIP tribunal today and to say the least we are disgusted. 
They are sending their decision in the post but the judge was awful to my mum as soon as she walked through the door. The way she spoke to my mum let alone went about her conditions was not right. We are anticipating that my mum will lose her standard care component and therefore lose PIP altogether. Thank you for all of your support 

Comments

• amy798
    Has anybody else had a decision through the post? Does it mean bad news if they decide to post it? 
  • kevin52
    kevin52 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Did you Not Have Anyone Fighting Your Corner ? Like Money Matters Or CAB ?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Decision sent through the post can just mean they didn't have time to make a decision on the day.

Tribunal panels are supposed to be inquisitorial and ask challenging questions.  It's not personal.
  • amy798
    @kevin52 no my mum couldn’t get anyone to represent other than family member (me). 
    @Matilda it wasn’t that they were challenging, it’s that they wouldn’t allow my mum to explain herself. She has APD and struggles with her memory and wording let alone her hearing and the judge said that they weren’t interested in her memory or weren’t interested in the fact that I had to do things for her. Does that mean that they don’t believe that my mum needs help or something? Just very confused in all honesty and very upset. 
  • kevin52
    kevin52 Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Its Shocking They Way they Treated your Mum and You , I Realy hope She wins It amy :)  ,
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @amy798, @Matilda is correct, my tribunal decision came via the mail, I did call the tribunal office a few days after the hearing and asked if the could tell me the decision over the phone.
    They did but your Mum or you needs to ask for the decision or they won’t tell you.

• Matilda
    @amy798

The judge does sound very unreasonable.
  • amy798
    @susan48 the judge was very adamant she had made her decision within 5 minutes of us entering the room. We were in there an hour. 
    So you’re allowed to get your decision over the phone? Are the panel usually harsh or come across insensitive? Sorry about all the questions 
  • amy798
    She also kept saying my mum was contradicting herself in regards to her walking because she couldn’t explain how far she walks/can walk 
  • susan48
    @amy798.
    Sounds like the judge wasn’t very compassionate or understanding. 
    I did ask specifically over the phone if they could tell me the decision and the man said yes and told me. Very long winded, he read the exact words from the letter, I won. I didn’t actually get the letter for about 10 days, the snow had hit.
    The panel I had were ok except the professor. He was very stand-offish and blunt.
    I struggle to talk when in anxious and he said he didn’t care how long it took but I had to talk not my friend I took with me. 
    That actually made me worse, it was an experience I never go through again, I’d rather starve and lose everything as go through that again.
    I know that sounds drastic but I’m still 4 months on suffering the effects on my mental health.
    Don’t apologise for asking questions, ask away but I will be honest  :)
  • susan48
    @amy798, p.s
    the reason mine was sent out was they were running late and by the sounds of it, if you were in an hour then the hearing times would probably have been running late too.

just a guess though
  • amy798
    @susan48 I appreciate your honesty. I think that is the reason that they are sending it out in the post. I’m glad you won your tribunal. 
    My mum and I believe they have taken her pip off her altogether, so are dreading the realisation with a letter. We are not expecting any good news. 
    Its a drastic comment you made but one I understand and can empathise with as I would never go through that again. 
  • susan48
    @amy798
    If your mums not had the letter by Monday I would phone the tribunal office. They have the decision very quickly.
    I thought the worst too but I’m sure I read on this site that if there’s a chance you will lose the original award they tell you before hand so you can decide if you still want to proceed with the tribunal.
    Thats whativ read but for your peace of mind I would call Monday if you’v not heard. It will be a long weekend waiting but you’v done the hardest part.
    I do hope your mums ok, it’s so emotional I understand totally.
    please let me know when you find out. 
    I know the DWP need to make sure that your actually getting the award because you need it but it’s dreadful the way the system with tribunals is, 69% win at tribunal so the system is clearly not working.

Iv got my fingers crossed for your Mum, and you x
  • amy798
    Thank you @susan48 for your advice, honesty and support x
  • Matilda
    Yes, it's true.  If the tribunal want to remove the original award, almost certainly they will ask if you wish to withdraw your appeal.  If you accept their offer to withdraw, then you will keep your original award.
  • amy798
    @Matilda I don’t recall them saying anything like that so maybe we are just stressing. I hope we are. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Matilda said:
    Tribunal panels are supposed to be inquisitorial and ask challenging questions.  It's not personal.
    It is for some. I went to one for AA when my wife was 65 (2008). She was unable to go due to poor health so I went in her place.

I won't go through what happened as it still angers me .But when she got her decision in the post - talk about destroying my character and credibility - the decision was more about what they thought about me than my wife. I was said to be arrogant, bombastic, argumentative and as a witness, I had no credibility.

• amy798
    @Yadnad that sounds horrible. What happened in the end? 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    amy798 said:
    @Yadnad that sounds horrible. What happened in the end? 

It was but I must admit that I wasn't on form in any way - just been released from under section.
    Anyhow, I did another claim for her which was accepted with no problem. However today is not like it was then, you have to have a face to face assessment for AA generally at home so I am informed. She was awarded the day and night element indefinitely which she still has.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.