Face 2 face support — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Face 2 face support

littleruthie123
littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
hi I'm still waiting after 4 months of trying too get a home visit.im pretty sure I won't get one .my question is does anyone no were I could possibly get someone too go and support me on the day?.i have no one too ask 

Comments

• littleruthie123
    I do have a social worker but she's just sorting my care plan out .also will be getting some support from mental health team but not for a few weeks either .so I'm stuck really 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, have you got a close friend or nighbour you can trust and ask? Or your church minister if you have one.Try the CAB they may know of a person or persons who could attend with you.
  • littleruthie123
    Hi wilco thank you for your advise .unfortunately my parent are elderly and everyone else works .i will try the cab thank you 
  • littleruthie123
    Advice sorry my spelling awful these days
  • littleruthie123
    Today I'm floored too the settee .perinal nurapathy after Bec treatment can barely walk .god nos how I'm going too cope 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    hi I'm still waiting after 4 months of trying too get a home visit.im pretty sure I won't get one .my question is does anyone no were I could possibly get someone too go and support me on the day?.i have no one too ask 
    I'm a little confused. Do you need someone, anyone  to sit there with you who probably doesn't know you from Adam?
    Or are you looking for someone that knows you well to support you?

If you are thinking that someone supporting you can be part of the assessment then that is wrong - the assessor will be looking to you to provide the answers as it is your assessment. That's what I was told when I asked ATOS if I needed to take my wife into the assessment room with me and was told no. So she stayed in reception.
  • littleruthie123
    Ok thanks for your advise .yes I see what you mean .i would struggle on my own , arching things etc.but yes Amy e a stranger would be awkward also .do you think it's better for me too go alone?.i only ever go too local hospital and go door 2 door .this is my town centre so around three hours altogether that's what I'm worrying about 
  • Yadnad
    Ok thanks for your advise .yes I see what you mean .i would struggle on my own , arching things etc.but yes Amy e a stranger would be awkward also .do you think it's better for me too go alone?.i only ever go too local hospital and go door 2 door .this is my town centre so around three hours altogether that's what I'm worrying about 

It's not my place to suggest that you go on your own or not. My experiences of the 3 PIP face to face assessments that I have had are that I went in alone and the reports were so damning that the DWP would not award me anything. Whether it would have been different if my wife had have been there with me I don't know.
    I followed what ATOS told me that having someone with me was not necessary or compulsory.

• littleruthie123
    Yes I had one at home she was great .then went alone for one at there centre.they lied etc was an awful experiences.personally I think being alone they tend too make up stuff!
  • littleruthie123
    Just spoke too my benefit adviser he rang too see if I can get a home visit.was told that they would ring me?.havent known this before .anyone else please?
  • dee4848
    dee4848 Community member Posts: 256 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    @Yadnad  Anyone can sit with you at an assessment  but only the claiment can answer the questions.
  • Yadnad
    edited May 2018
    dee4848 said:
    @Yadnad  Anyone can sit with you at an assessment  but only the claiment can answer the questions.

That's what I thought. But after checking with the receptionist she said that there was no need for my wife to go in with me. It was an ATOS assessment in Canterbury.
  • Kaysue10
    Kaysue10 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    My last PIP assessment was shortly after my 2nd heart attack and I could not get a home visit. So I asked a local charity if they could advise me as to anyone that could get me there and accompany me and for emotional support at my Atos assessment. They had what they called a floating social worker who does this sort of thing regularly and knew all the addresses of these Atos and Capita offices in our locality and where to park for ease of access.
    She was marvelous.  She made an appointment the week before the assessment to visit me at home for an hour or two so we could meet and get to know each other a little. The day before the assessment she phoned to say what time she would be picking me up and to check that I was all right and still able to go. The next day she arrived on time drove me there in an unhurried friendly manner. We arrived deliberately early to have time to go and get a coffee, go to the loo and relax a bit after the fairly lengthy drive and before entering the offices. Again, she knew exactly where would be good to go. She came into the appointment with me ... and as others have said is not allowed to speak on your behalf but was able to support me by just being there.
    I have trouble going out to strange places on my own so her being there was a great comfort to me. It is worth trying to find out if there is a similar charity near you. All this was for free. Although, I understand that some charities might ask a small amount towards petrol but not all do by any means. I was very thankful for this ladies help, kindness and calmness on the day.
  • littleruthie123
    Hi Kaysue thanks so much for r your reply .can you remember which charity it was pleased.im like you and wouldn't feel comfortable in my own .i will look into this .i do have a welfare adviser at my local cancer support centre x
  • Kaysue10
    Kaysue10 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Ruthie, the charity I don't know as I was given direct contact (a telephone number and person to ask for) to them via Bell view church which was a local area help and support centre when I went to them for help and advice, form filling etc. Which would probably be of little use to you. However, talk to your Social worker who should know of someone to refer you onto. Or your local council disabilities team should have a list of charities that might be able to help you out. Try your local church or Parish as there might be someone there who may be able to help if only to drive you there and back ... it all helps ... really it does! Again CAB are a good point of referal or even ask / phone your local (big town) library who may have a list too. At the time of my medical I was only a month out of hospital and major surgery on my heart so whilst up and walking it was slow, in short batches and I was still not allowed to climb or descend stairs etc.
  • littleruthie123
    Thanks very helpful x

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.