Disabled people and mental health - why is the support so poor? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled people and mental health - why is the support so poor?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    I personally think anything that effects our daily life,and impacts our life in a drastic way is a disability 
  • Scotropic83
    Scotropic83 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    I've suffered from neurological health disorders all my life and now have PTSD to boot as well.  I've had great success finding my own treatment via Amino Therapy. Although this does not cover all the conditions discussed here, it does and continues to help some. I'm interested in anyone else's experience using herbal supplements or amino acids? 
  • criptacular
    criptacular Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    Well, this most definitely got busy! Nice to see a discussion. Sorry I disappeared, I've had an essay due in today. I will be replying to as much as I can either tonight or tomorrow. Just dropping a message to acknowledge I'm reading your stuff!
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    My god! That first article: "Southern Health had failed to properly investigate the deaths of more than 1,000 patients with learning disabilities or mental health problems over four years." 1000 patients in 4 years?? How is that OK?

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello every body seems the end result of all this discussion is the negative impact we as a community feel. Which I understand. Add to the lack of compassion and sincerity in the care profession and may I add the behaviour.  Would I want to  have some one to care for me.

The issues are such that how and why is this happening. All about one thing . Which is money. Of course it is. Being a business not about people but a business.

I am afraid regarding the mental health system if you ring up certain organisations.  Even go onto their websites you are confronted about giving a donation.  Last mental health charity. Want help yes will help you. Cost you to meet me. My support worker exclaimed. Which I do not mind paying. Understand and be aware now. I know from a lot of my friends and former friends that they have a permanent standing order set up with the charity to pay for support workers travel expenses.

Included in that would be car park charges. So the question is that what would you do?  You are ill get nothing from Social services long waiting lists and times. Spent. Do you go to the Charities and pay for services. Yet will be possibility you might also pay for Council ones as well.

Once money comes into the equation do we as a community expect good service or it is going to get worse. My answer is the standards and ticking of form filling every time a visit.  Was becoming such a normality that I actually used to photocopy the assessment forms and keep them at home. To see my support worker come into your home. Laden with a tablet iPad, bag and then her own personal stuff. Like going on holiday I said to her joking.

Same with mileage forms.  Remember got my own car but to meet her for lunch or assessment costs me.

Are we in danger of losing the plot and regarding our selves as vulnerable people. Of course we all of us who have mental health issues long term. Strive and struggle every day with our minds our well being our thoughts.  Should we though be acutely aware of our failings and need constant support.

If it going to be costing me personally money to heal myself. Can I identify help and support and consider healing myself at my own expense without the support of others.

Understand need that support but when and how it is becoming more difficult to obtain .

Realisation is this the issue then that if have a disability and mental health issues you suffer but they see the disability not you. Yet is it also the issues then about money then.

Love to hear others comments.  

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Waylay
    edited May 2018
    @criptacular Sadly, MH treatment is really bad for everyone at the moment - we just get it a bit worse. :/ 

1. Completely ignored the effect of my chronic pain when diagnosing MH.

I've had MH problems since I was a kid/teenager. Chronic pain began 10 years ago, and it ended my PhD, my job and my career, I went broke, and my partner left me. I *may* have been feeling a little f*cked up about that, and my MH got worse. 

GP referred me to secondary MH services; they offered CBT. Yes please. Then CBT psychologist diagnosed me with Borderline PD after 1 session. 1! (Only psychiatrists are supposed to diagnose it, too.) She used a variety of ridiculous "symptoms" as justification, including two which are relevant here:
    "...says she 'doesn't know who she is anymore', and
    having 'trouble deciding what to do with her life'".

Um, yeah. Those weren't BPD symptoms, they were symptoms of the fact that I'd suddenly become physically disabled at 33 and lost my job/career/PhD/savings (including retirement)/and 6.5 year relationship. You think I might be feeling a *bit* out of sorts? Maybe uncertain of who I am because I  JUST LOST EVERYTHING I USED TO BE? Maybe I don't know what to do with my life because I'd already gotten what I wanted, and I don't have a clue how to deal with losing it. Oh yeah: I'm unemployable with my current health problems.

Nope. Definitely BPD. 
    Don't you think the situation is  important?
    Nope.
    2nd opinion please.

2nd opinion psychiatrist upheld her diagnosis without even meeting me - he just read her notes. She me that either I go into the BPD Service, or I'd be discharged and marked as a "difficult" patient. What choice did I have?  I was really ill, and this was the only help on offer.

(Today: 6 years later, and I've had *10* whole sessions of group therapy, drunk a lot of coffee, smoked way too much, done a lot of mandala colouring, etc...)

2. Used MH diagnosis to completely discount my chronic pain.

BPD staffs person tells me that my chronic pain is psychosomatic. Argh. It is not. Certainly linked to my MH, (get sad, work harder) bring in MRIs, letter from my Pain Clinic consultant, letter from physio, etc., but BPD Service psych thinks he knows better. 

Problematic. Can't get treatment from BPD Service, as they won't offer me treatment unless I agree that my chronic pain is psychosomatic, and agree to work in that in therapy. Unhelpful. But no other MH service will touch me with a 2O-foot pole because I have BPD (ooooh scary) & a "psychosomatic" pain condition (grrr).

Then I was raped. The Rape Crisis Centre paid for 6 months of therapy with a fantastic private counsellor. At the end of tge 6montgs, she said that I clearly needed more therapy and she'd be happy to continue seeing me for £10 a week. SO LUCKY. I've been seeing her for 4 years. She believes my pain is real. 

Oh, and I was re-diagnosed last week. I don't have BPD; I have Complex PTSD. CPTSD is thought to cause many cases of chronic pain, through physiological stress reactions. Hah.
  • Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    Victoriad 'agency' is when you have power, self determination or choice in your own life. 
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • greatsay
    greatsay Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    I have been on one endless Community Treatment Order since 2013 renewed every year. This means being sectioned if non-complient with my depot. I have had my bungalow door kicked in twice by the police to re-section me and being marched out in handcuffs in from of my neighbours too embarrassed to move back and forced to move into supported housing. I have been forcible restrained and injected against my will many times.

• [Deleted User]
  • greatsay
    greatsay Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Fortunately I am under learning disability services. The only experiences I have had with mental health services have been very bad and one particular psychiatrist in my town has such a bad reputation its unreal, She has had many patients she didn't care about from utter incompetence they have been found floating dead in the river Trent that flows through my town. Total indifference! Fortunately the CLDT is better.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Waylay
    CTO! I'd never heard of this before! That's Machiavellian! So you get sectioned, and then your freedom to live your life is taken away?! Yikes!

@Victoriad Thank you for your response. It's good to be believed. I do go along with them, but look what that got me. :neutral:
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Victoriad said:
    Hen typo......Then lol I thought you were callling me hen hehe

• [Deleted User]

Brightness