what points get Awarded for COPD? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

what points get Awarded for COPD?

Steve1960
Steve1960 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi Happy New Year to everyone . If you dont mind me asking Can Anyone tell me if what points get Awarded for  COPD . I got my PIP at the Standard Rate .But i have just been told i have   emphysema . I have Appealed but i just wont to no if there are Points Awarded  for COPD 
Regards Steve

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Steve1960, welcome to the community!

You might like to have a look at our PIP discussions, and also this information on PIP applications: the points aren't affected by the specific diagnosis you have, but by how the condition affects your life. If you have any further questions, do get involved with our different groups where our members will be happy to help!
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Steve and welcome

As has been said it depends how you are affected. I too have COPD and receive standard care and enhanced mobility as on most days I am unable to walk 20 metres without severe breathlessness and certainly can't repeat it

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Steve1960
    Steve1960 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi Thanks for Replying ,On the Mobility it is Standard i to can only walk less than 20 metres because i to cant Breath Plus the back of my calfs lock up and cant walk they go rock hard and i have to sit down which is Bad when its raining People look at me and they must think iam Mad sat there in the rain but just cant move   
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    @Steve1960 you can do the PIP self test here to see how you could possibly score.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Steve

You should receive enhanced mobility, see 12e

2. Moving around.
    12 a. Can stand and then move more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 0 points
    12 b. Can stand and then move more than 50 metres but no more than 200 metres, either aided or unaided. 4 points
    12 c. Can stand and then move unaided more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 8 points
    12 d. Can stand and then move using an aid or appliance more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres. 10 points
    12 e. Can stand and then move more than 1 metre but no more than 20 metres, either aided or unaided. 12 points
    12 f. Cannot, either aided or unaided, �(i) stand; or (ii) move more than 1 metre. 12 points

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Tinaandeddie1
    Tinaandeddie1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    If you won't your appeal why dose it take 2 months for you to get your back date money it be 42 weeks they ow me 
  • freddie1
    freddie1 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I have copd and applied for pip and was told I had no points don't understand as I can't walk that far and need help getting in and out of the bath and to put shoes and socks on 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    freddie1 said:
    I have copd and applied for pip and was told I had no points don't understand as I can't walk that far and need help getting in and out of the bath and to put shoes and socks on 
    Needing assistance to get in and out of the bath and help putting your schoes and socks on isn't going to score you enough of points for an award, even if you do ask for the MR. As for walking, telling them you can't walk far isn't enough because it doesn't mean anything.

You have 28 days to request the MR but based on the above i'd advise getting some help.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • noddysgirl
    noddysgirl Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I claim pip for fibromyalgia and have just had my renewal sent to me so have added my copd  to the claim I’ve been diagnosed with copd just over 2 years 
    im working part time and finding it hard working with the copd and fibromyalgia 
    im 62 years of age 
    and thinking of retiring and claiming my work pension but unsure weather it would  affect my pip 
    would anyone be able to advise me my pension would be about £64 a  month should I get advise from dwp 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP isn't means tested and won't be affected by any other income.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @noddysgirl

Your PIP will not be affected by your company pension.

Please note you will not get your State Pension till you reach your 66th birthday.

Therefore, you need to consider claiming ESA, if you finish work.

You should seek expert advice from a Welfare Rights Advisor, contact Age Uk, for such advice.

Let us know, if you need further guidance and keep us informed.
  • reggie511
    reggie511 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited November 2018
    Good day ladies and gentlemen, My name is Reggie Manfred, early this year i was suffering from copd i went to different doctor to seek for solution yet i was not able to succeed, I was reading about copd online, In the site forum i got to see an herbal clinic from Africa who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Emphysema, at first i doubted if it was real due to what my doctor said to me, when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email he sent me the copd herbal medicine through courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured of this diseases. Friends/Family/ can contact their email on [removed by moderator] please don't forget to say i introduce you to his clinic thanks everyone.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2018
    reggie511 said:
    Good day ladies and gentlemen, My name is Reggie Manfred, early this year i was suffering from copd i went to different doctor to seek for solution yet i was not able to succeed, I was reading about copd online, In the site forum i got to see an herbal clinic from Africa who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including Emphysema, at first i doubted if it was real due to what my doctor said to me, when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email he sent me the copd herbal medicine through courier service, when i received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured of this diseases. Friends/Family/ can contact their email on [removed by moderator] please don't forget to say i introduce you to his clinic thanks everyone.
    Honestly? I don't believe a word of this. Sounds to me that this African medicine man should be working for the DWP. They would love to have that expertise when assessing ESA or PIP - there is no disease or ailment that cannot be cured!
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    @MATINA

Reported post to admin as advertising isn't allowed on the forum. 

We also encourage members to get medical advice about any treatments 
  • Emilyb81
    Emilyb81 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    reggie511 said:
    Hi there is no cure for copd? I have it and have been told I will have it forever! It either gets worse or stays the same ? other than getting new lungs I don't know how someone would or could erase it? The symptoms can be managed with medication to a degree for some people but for me (as I can't talk about other people only my own experience) no medication helps me really? I use inhalers for my asthma I have had since childhood and I have one for the copd and it helped a little when I was first given it however since then I believe like most medicines I've become kind of immune to it ? I've been on oral steroids for multiple years too and that has helped slightly however they come with a long list of issues they are causing so the whole thing is an absolute nightmare!
    Now if you are being honest either you never had copd or its still there? If you are lying or misleading people hoping they are vulnerable and trying to make money off them is out of order! 
    I kind of take this personally because having this illness has devastated my life in so many ways! Only a person who has struggled to get oxygen knows how scary that can be! So I am sorry if you are genuinely trying to help people but I get a feeling this is a sales pitch rather than a concerned person wanting to help people? Just doesn't seem right! ?
    And in response to the original post as I've said I too have copd I can't spell emphaseema so I say copd! My life is affected massively by it I can't even get from my front door to taxi door without stopping for air it's ridiculous! I do know of another person who also has it and she doesn't take inhalers she rarely gets out of breath and for the most part seems to not suffer hardly ever? Like most people she has bad days too but what I mean is that's why it's more about how these illnesses affect our lives individually rather than a diagnosis because everyone is different? Same as someone with depression might not be affected unless going through certain situations? And others like myself again have it kicking my backside out of nowhere no trigger no warning no way to prevent it so all illnesses affect people in different ways? I hope you manage to get what you are entitled to hope we all do! ??? Someone sent me a link on here with a file explaining all the things you get points for? Breaking it all down made it easier for me to understand? Just wish I knew how to post it to you @Steve1960
  • matina2
    matina2 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited September 2021
    I started on COPD Herbal treatment from [Removed by moderator], the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. [Removed by moderator - advertising link] . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @matina2,

Welcome to the community. Just to let you know, I've removed the link from your comment as it appeared to be advertising a website that sells products. We don't allow advertising here on the community, as is stated in our house rules. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions about this.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • jamiebain89
    jamiebain89 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Morning all I've just joined as come across this post. I don't know if its ok for me to be on here at moment as I've not been diagnosed with copd yet as doctors have told me they can't do flow test cause of covid they have told me that they think I have the start of copd and are testing me with inhalers and spacer went doctors yesterday and they are sending me for chest x Ray as my breathing has gotten worse over last few weeks even to the point of trying to fix my car and use a hammer I was out of breath walking up the stairs and back down out of breath inhalers don't seem to be helping me and im so worried about it at moment to the point its affecting my mental health as I suffer with depression and anxiety have done since 2011 I just wish I could get the tests I need and have the answers I need so I know whats going on. I have a claim for pip ongoing with them due to my depression I never informed them that I'm being treated for copd as its not been confirmed as cant do peak flow test at moment so really not sure where I stand with it 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    jamiebain89 said:..I have a claim for pip ongoing with them due to my depression I never informed them that I'm being treated for copd as its not been confirmed as cant do peak flow test at moment so really not sure where I stand with it 
    You don't get awarded PIP based n a diagnosis. You get points based on the difficulties you have doing the selected activities. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Try not to worry about what you have no control over the worry won't change anything 

I had xray recently for suspected copd but it all came back clear the xray will show up any concerns without having the flow test 

Hope you do ok and get a diagnosis 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.