Research on Mental health and financial difficulties — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Research on Mental health and financial difficulties

Char
Char Community member Posts: 2 Listener

How does financial hardship affect mental health?

A new research study looking at the effect of financial hardship on mental health is recruiting participants who are claiming any UK welfare benefit. Participants must be over 18 and under 65, and reside in the UK.

The link between poverty and poor mental health is well established. People within low socio-economic status (SES) groups are more likely to experience a range of mental health problems, and the mental health of people claiming welfare payments is poorer than those who do not.

While there is evidence of a link between hardship and mental health, it is much less clear what it is about these experiences that leads to poorer mental health.

This research study is therefore looking at the relationship between financial hardship and mental health; what effect being in financial hardship has over time; and what it is about hardship that increases the risk of developing mental health problems.

Participation in the research will require the completion of measures of the experience of financial difficulties and various aspects of their mental health. The measures will be completed at four time points, every three months starting in April, May or June, then August, November 2016 and February 2017 and you will be sent an email reminding you to complete them. This will take approximately 45 minutes at each time point.

This study is online and can be accessed https://www.isurvey.soton.ac.uk/19795. Further information can be found on the study website at www.welfareresearch.co.uk. On accessing the link participants will be given information about the study and asked to consent to participate, after which they will complete the first set of measures.

If you have any questions about the study, please contact the researcher at cf5g14@soton.ac.uk

Comments

• Char
    Char Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    This is study is now also open to people who aren't claiming benefits. Please consider participating in this important work. Participants will be entered into a prize draw to win one of ten prizes of £50.
  • lisabrazil80
    lisabrazil80 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
    I git turn down take oration is how long does it take
  • lisabrazil80
    lisabrazil80 Community member Posts: 94 Courageous
    A  I got turned down and didn't get any points on mental health now pencil recidivation how long does it take 
  • peterpete
    peterpete Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    I suffered horrendous abuse as a child I mean abuse that would make Charles Branson cry. I suffer ptsd and gave horrible flashbacks yet I get zero points on pip what a joke I did not ask to be abused I did not deserve it I now I'm forced in to jsa but after a lost appeal for pip I have a medical on Thursday but this time I'm going prepared. Atos can no longer lie about people who were used and abused as children even though we're adults it still haunts me I still see him I smell him my demon is dead I wish sometimes I was too. I can't have a relationship I can't have kids because I scream when the nightmares come I cry like a baby pip will help me financial and emotional to at least feel like someone cares.i honestly feel every disabled persons pain our illnesses effect us totally differently whether mental or physically but we need a voice take care with pip they will try every trick to get you zero points. How can these people sleep at night
  • peterpete
    We are the weak in society we are the ones who need the most help a druggie on jeremy kyle gets rehabilitation they put that drug in them. The alcoholics choose to drink yet they too get rehabilitation gamblers too. How can us sexual abuse victims get rehabilitation beg yes beg with every bit of energy
  • peterpete
    They say it happened get over it move on... My first sexual experience should of been special not with a man old enough to be my grandad and nit as violent it should if been a good memory but no
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing your experiences with us @peterpete, and I'm so sorry to hear about what you've been through.

The above discussion was posted a couple of years ago and so the study may not longer be active, but if you feel that you would like to talk to somebody about your experiences, here are some national helplines with trained advisors who may be able to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.