Opinions please folks? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Opinions please folks?

oldngrumpy
oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 215 Pioneering

I am still awaiting a decision on my P.I.P., claim from the assessor I had a few weeks ago.
I am genuinely disabled, although I can walk at times with relative ease. 
But when Gout strikes in my left big toe joint.
I am virtually immobile (even around the house)

I also have a spastic right leg, resulting from a Brain Injury I sustained in my childhood..
Right to the question...

Because of the Spastic Leg, it has a lot of muscle waste.
To try and build this up I go cycling. This does help with my right leg.
Plus also it elevates my mood. I also have depression.

Would me cycling affect any future or indeed present entitlement to P.I.P. award?

Thank you

Comments

• justg72
    justg72 Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Hi oldngrumpy
    People can claim PIP when working, however if you have stated that you find it very difficult to walk on a daily basis but you can go cycling, they would probably question this. They only need a slightest excuse to throw you off. Have you read any of the PIP horror stories on this site,there's loads of us been thrown off.I have  lost mine and are having to appeal my decision with an MR and I am genuine I have uncontrolled epilepsy and they scored me 0 for both daily tasks and mobility. I was on enhanced for both before. My advice would be to be careful. I can see where you are coming from, by building up your muscles by improving your legs and depression. Could you get some advice from CAB?
    Good luck with your PIP.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Victoriad said:
    Why would cycling prevent entitlement as the form does not ask anywhere what hobbies you have.

The assessor normally does - it would indicate to them a whole host of abilities. 
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • Yadnad
    Victoriad said:
    I have never been asked about hobbies....and I enjoy a heap of hobbies

Then you have been extremely lucky in your face to face assessments. They even ask if you drive a car (which also isn't on the form) answering that you do then beware, they will conclude again that you have more abilities in other descriptors.
  • peterpete
    peterpete Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    Please please have a back up plan just in case apply for j s s pip will not effect it
  • peterpete
    peterpete Community member Posts: 37 Courageous
    Jsa not jss I'm sorry 
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @oldngrumpy, it would only become a problem if it conflicts with what you tell them. As you have said that you are not mobile only when the gout flares up and assumedly you do not cycle during these periods it should not be an issue.

I don't know for certain, but would think that how often your gout problem happens and for how long would have more to do with whether you are entitled to PIP or not and what level - based on what you have said.

I am with @Victoriad 100% on this. Your health, physical and mental, are far more important than worrying about not getting or losing PIP, but as long as it doesn't directly contradict what you are saying is wrong and how it affects you then it should not be an issue.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• Yadnad
    Victoriad said:
    Also was reading a post somewhere on the forum where someone complaining that they are losing around £200 per week in benefit........This surprised me as I don’t even clear £200 a week period and that’s including my basic PiP with my occupational pension!

It was my case:

Loss of PIP (ERM & ERC) = £145.35

Loss of Guaranteed Pension Credit due to the loss of the PIP premiums = £45.66

Total loss £191.10 per week.
  • Yadnad
    Victoriad said:
    Hayes I even drive a car now as the psychiatrist has informed DVLA that I’m now able to do so.

I don’t have a motability car and have no problems whatsoever with my mobility, and ade it quite clear on my forms that I have no problems with mobility.

Im beginning to think that the “ problems “ start with assessment process ,when applicant versus assessor, trying to prove mobility or lack of such,starts creeping into the process....it’s not a matter of luck, but perhaps where an applicant trying to prove a lack of mobility yet taking part in activities that may suggest otherwise

thats why I’ve never even gone near the mobility route and I’m quite grateful for my standard rate daily living component PiP as my only benefit.

Driving a car can be viewed by the assessor as giving rise to excellent dexterity, quick thinking, excellent judgement skills, in fact none of what they come up with has anything to do with mobility.

• [Deleted User]
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @Victoriad the current system is in my opinion set up to make you jump through hoops and beg for disability benefits and other benefits. You have been one of the lucky ones. For some of us getting these benefits, which I currently do not, its the difference between living on the breadline or not. So peoples lives can be very different with and without disability benefits. Also it is designed in my opinion to wear you down and give up. I gave up on esa. I should be getting esa. I dont have the willpower to do it. So many people like me have to perform to be able to get jobseekers alllowance. Its awful. Its torture but we do it because we have no choice.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @Victoriad like I said you are lucky, you get pip and it’s making a difference for you. I’m glad for you. It’s a really tough world dealing with this. Unfortunately pip is another time limited benefit and you will prob have to perform to continue getting it at some point. There’s no point worrying about the future though it’s bad for our health .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.