Housing benefit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing benefit

Options
david22
david22 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I got a letter this week from council asking about our son who finished college last summer. The letter asked for me to give details about his work etc, well I gave them this info last September because it was a change of circumstances, as we stopped getting child benefit. I get the daily living living component of PIP so my benefits are not reduced when having a non dependant living with me and my wife. I phoned The council and they said they didn't receive my letter, I have sent them a letter today giving them the info asked for but am worried that as they didn't receive my September letter things could get complicated, though I haven't received any benefits I am not entitled to, I have not committed any benefit fraud, it has taken 8 months for the council to write to me, for me to be aware of this, I am bipolar and disabled due to a road traffic accident 15 years ago and don't need this stress, anyone been in a similar situation?

Comments

• feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I know you only have 4 weeks to get backdated money so if you think you aren't getting enough benefits you would only be able to get 4 weeks of what they owed you.

If you have been overpaid they will likely just ask for that back and not bother taking you to court or anything unless you ignored any requests for money, you would have to arrange with them what you could afford to pay and how often you'd pay it.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning david22, and all scope members, there is a lesson to be learnt here. Having sent information in  worried if it has arrived, a phone call to check that it has been received will, and would have saved a lot of worry and stress. If sending information to DWP leave a few weeks before phoning as all mail goes to a central processing Center before the call Center can acess the information to let you know it has arrived, received.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.