DWP ASSESSMENT/ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP ASSESSMENT/ESA

Options
Georgia63
Georgia63 Community member Posts: 31 Connected
Hello I'm receiving esa and I had to go for a work capability assessment. I just got a letter for an appointment with job center. It said we looked at the information you gave us as part of your assessment and it showed that I am able to do certain things to prepare for work in the future. I don't feel ready I suffer with chronic pain I have Lupus And Fibromyalgia and extreme fatigue. Some days I can't even move it's a struggle to do everyday things. I also have depression and I am on tablets. Will they stop my ESA benefit and send me to work. Can I appeal its really stressing me out. Any info will be great thank you

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,

Have you had the decision from the assessment yet? My guess is that you've been placed into the WRAG and not Support Group. Being placed into the WRAG means that they realise that you have a limited capability for work but need to attend appointments to prepare to go back to work, sometime in the future. If you don't attend that and future appointments you'll be sanctioned.

You can ask for a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) and you have 1 month to do this. Take a look at the Support Group descriptors here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors

To see which one if any applies to you. Being placed into this group isn't about scoring points, it's about satisfying at least one of the above descriptors. There's also reg 35 special circumstances, here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/2955-regulation-35-2-b-is-now-the-main-route-into-esa-support-group

If you're planning on asking for the MR you'll need to put this request in writing stating what you disagree with and why you think you should be placed into the Support Group. Be aware that you could lose everything you already have but mostly the MR decisions remain the same. You most likely have to take it to Tribunal. Be sure to take a look at the descriptors before deciding your next step. If none of them apply to you then there would be no point in the MR then Tribunal. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gnmeads
    gnmeads Community member Posts: 187 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Georgia63 and welcome to the Scope community, sorry to hear about your problems with ESA. Unless they have said they are going to stop your ESA then it's very unlikely they will. I wouldn't worry to much about what the letter says. With a lot of these letters you just have to read between the lines, concentrate on just getting to the appointment at the job centre . Give the ESA help line a call (I've found there a bit more helpful and understanding than most) follow link:https://www.gov.uk/contact-jobcentre-plus/existing-benefit-claims

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.