Won P.I.P. appeal then lost award again - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Won P.I.P. appeal then lost award again

13»

Comments

• SunshineLou
    SunshineLou Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    @Yadnad you’ve got to do what’s best for you. We’re all in the same boat though (well...I was until a few weeks ago). I know how you feel. I wish I could do something to help you though. I hate injustices!

@jtaylor they should get back to you within about 6 weeks. They do have a backlog at the moment though so it could be a little while longer (mine was actually 4 weeks though).
    They backdate the award to the day you claimed. Not sure how they deal with epilepsy. 
    If you don’t get the award you think you should, do ask for the report that they did at your face to face. That way you can see what they said. Often they don’t include important information and have even been found (in court) to have lied about claimants!
    Good luck! x
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    *rants* ARGH!!!!
  • disabledkenny1
    disabledkenny1 Community member Posts: 45 Courageous
    I had my DLA stopped in 1997 took to 2001 to get it back with help from a solicitor, they awarded me a new motablety car & a manual / electric wheelchair with a lift onto the roof & 3 days later took it away because I tried becoming self employed but had a major stroke then fractured my middle & lower vertebra bed ridden for 3 years needing care & paying for it when only getting £45 a week got in loads of debt. 
    From my experiences & my friends I advice you to contact CAB & they will allocate you a disabled advocate to help & support you through the appeal process, I agree with everyone that it happening all over the country. I was awarded PIP straight away 6 months ago.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    I had my DLA stopped in 1997 took to 2001 to get it back with help from a solicitor, they awarded me a new motablety car & a manual / electric wheelchair with a lift onto the roof & 3 days later took it away because I tried becoming self employed but had a major stroke then fractured my middle & lower vertebra bed ridden for 3 years needing care & paying for it when only getting £45 a week got in loads of debt. 
    From my experiences & my friends I advice you to contact CAB & they will allocate you a disabled advocate to help & support you through the appeal process, I agree with everyone that it happening all over the country. I was awarded PIP straight away 6 months ago.
    I lost my DLA in 2004 due to being in hospital for over four months  during which time they had issued a review application which I never received and obviously never returned. It took me until 2011 before I was fit (mentally) to deal with it.

When I advised them where I had been- half the time in HDU and what had happened they just replied saying that I should have appointed someone to deal with my affairs for me - ummm and how did they suppose I could have done that - no answer from the DWP! 
    Seems that being in hospital in a life and death struggle is no excuse when it comes to the DWP.
  • SunshineLou
    @Yadnad sad but true. They love to knock you while you’re down!
    When I was first in hospital I was in a coma for 3 weeks, HDU for another 2 and with a brain injury amongst others I couldn’t think for myself. They still stopped my benefits (I was a full time carer then for my son), they also threatened us with eviction as my Housing benefit had been stopped etc etc... My family, who had to take on my children for me couldn’t talk to them as they didn’t have my permission. It was all a huge mess!
    I had to get a charity in to see me and sort through it all. That was while I was still an inpatient and desperately trying to get my newly damaged brain around the fact that I’d never be the same again!
    All I’ve just said is actually just glazing over the facts too. If I went into more detail I’d be typing a book!
    Sickening how we can be treated! :( 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 68 Listener
    LDW said:
    i changed from dla to pip 2yrs ago I had a right old time of it, they denied my claim and took my car from me, they told terrible lies about my home consultation, I appealed and was successful and was awarded higher rates on both components, so now to my surprise here we go again ivied filled in a review form to see if my circumstances have changed, and I've got to have another home consult, I just hope they're not still using Capita as they were terrible. All of this stresses me out which is no good for my health but I don't think they care. Is anyone else having this problem again ?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 68 Listener
    Well done for winning your appeal I know all about the lies they tell when I was on incapacity benefit they stopped it 12 times went to the tribunal won 11 in a row on the 12th time I made 1 mistake took me off been on jobseekers ever since now they have stopped my DLA applied for pip 0 points as usual more lies now they have stopped my disability premium for no reason going to fight the 2 of them sent them letters they know I won't stop until I win 
  • SunshineLou
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @jim1074 You only get the premiums if you're getting PIP.
  • disabledkenny1
    SunshineLou sorry to here of your troubles, they have no consideration for people in very bad health expecially when in a coma in hospital, I hope you are on the mend now, contact CAB & they will allocate you a disabled advisor as I got one a few years ago when having problems with finacial payment for the carers with social services, I feel its this government they only intrested in those that can affod things not for the poor or bad in health & unable to work it makes me annoyed, I am on facebook if you ever want to chat as Kenny Fletcher
  • disabledkenny1
    Hi jim1074 this is happening a lot with people a group that can help you out on facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/1661571727483856/ I am a member also if you contact CAB asap to get a disabled advicate arranged to support you through the process, always think of what you are like on your very worst day & say you are like that daily, hope this helps you Jim, Kenny.
  • disabledkenny1
  • SunshineLou
    @disabledkenny1 Thanks for that, really good of you. All of my problems have finally been sorted out though. It did all take a while and I had plenty of help. 
    I was lucky enough to have a friend that worked as an outreach worker for people helping them with this kind of thing so he sorted most of my problems and told me where to get specific help. 
    I had the help of a charity and more recently advice from the benefits and work website and also FightBack for Justice.

I also have extremely supportive professionals involved in my care. My GP, Neurologist and Social Worker have all been very keen to help as much as possible.
    Great advice and thanks again x
  • disabledkenny1
    Thats good Lou you lucky my GP & consultants are rubbish here in Oldham I feel the NHS is going down hill as having problems getting appointments with pain clinic physio therapist waited 4 months between appointments & trying to get the GP to refer me to a rheumatoligist, a pressie for you a hobby of mine adding text to tags, if you want any let me what type like male female or creddy (bear)

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi jim1074  always think of what you are like on your very worst day & say you are like that daily, hope this helps you Jim, Kenny.
    No never!!! Saying that your worst day is every day is simply fraud unless it is true.
    Give the good, bad and ugly times instead

• SunshineLou
    @Yadnad that is what people used to be told to do.
    I know because I’ve been dealing with disabled assessments one way or another for the last 12 years.
    When I was first applying for DLA for my son when he was 3 years old, his own social worker told me to do that, as did his outreach worker.
    PIP was brought in to stop all that I think and the criteria for qualifying is now soooo much tighter. Basically PIP is a money saving exercise from the government. 
    Just a massive shame that because they’re assessing people wrongly it’s actually saved tax payers nothing. Or barely anything.
    You have to now say how you are on most of your days. A minimum of 4 per week qualifies as most days.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.