PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Want to give us your opinion? Complete our annual survey.

PIP Descriptor Going Out - Prompting

Trev121Trev121 Member Posts: 32 Listener
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hello,
I already posted the following question, but have not got a reply, yet. I asked a similar question last year, but gather some PIP regulations have changed.

I'm trying to understand PIP properly to get ready to fill in an application form, so would be grateful for any advice - as it's an important issue for me.

I gather there have been some changes in PIP rules lately, so could do with some updated clarity on Prompting.

PIP Descriptor

Going Out

b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant.  4 points

Can anyone please clarify what exactly is meant by Prompting for the above descriptor, "Going Out". 

That is, does the person doing the prompting need to be present, or can it be acceptable to prompt the person in need by phone and/or text?

Thanks

Replies

• susan48susan48 Member Posts: 2,229 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2018
    @Trev121, I’m not sure myself, sorry maybe @mikehughescq can help
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,833 Disability Gamechanger
    If you’re struggling to complete a PIP form then get sometime else to do it. That’s what face to face advice is for. In terms of completing the form then understanding each and every term is unnecessary. The only concern is getting down the examples and stories which illustrate the functional impact of your condition. 

At present there’s no definitive answer. It’s certainly arguable and remote supervision was accepted in DLA cases. I think by phone is a winnable argument. Text may, and I emphasise “may” as in this is a personal view, be a harder case to make. A phone call implies that you have engaged with a person trying to encourage etc. It’s clear that what’s taking place involves one person prompting. The other person could acquiesce or resist but they’re at least engaged in being prompted. However, texts, like alarm reminders, are one way. Someone could send you a text that you simply ignore. 

Bottom line? Don’t worry about it until there’s something to worry about. Better to concentrate on form filling accurately with detail.
  • Trev121Trev121 Member Posts: 32 Listener
    Thanks Mike and Sue for your replies and very constructive advice.

The reason I wanted to check is because any people who prompt me will do so from a distance, most likely by phone. So I do not want to get into a complications/trouble by be given the award and then being told someone actually needs to be present with me to do the prompting.
    thanks
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,833 Disability Gamechanger
    You cannot get into trouble if you are absolutely clear about the nature of prompting from the off.
  • Trev121Trev121 Member Posts: 32 Listener
    Point taken , Mike, thanks
Sign in or join us to comment.