Graded down on mobility, they want the car back — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Graded down on mobility, they want the car back

Eniskaya9
Eniskaya9 Community member Posts: 14 Courageous
edited June 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
hi i have been on dla before now changed to pip but ihave been graded down on my mobility and they want the car back what do i do

Comments

• Gaina
    Gaina Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    Hello @Eniskaya9

Sorry to hear about your car. Have Motability actually written to you or DWP? If its just the latter, theb the first thing I'd do is ring Motability and see what advice they can give you as I'm not sure if you can keep the car while you wait for an appeal to run it's course.

• Eniskaya9
    Thank you so much
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Gaina said:
    Hello @Eniskaya9

Sorry to hear about your car. Have Motability actually written to you or DWP? If its just the latter, theb the first thing I'd do is ring Motability and see what advice they can give you as I'm not sure if you can keep the car while you wait for an appeal to run it's course.

When I failed in the DLA to PIP transfer in 2013 my mobility car was returned the day after I received the decision notice. I was worried that it would not be insured after that time. I did receive a small back payment from them about £200 or £250.
    I never heard from Motability after that although they did send out the usual bumf about joining the scheme again.

I put in for an MR and a few weeks later received another decision notice telling me that they were putting me on Enhanced Mobility & Care - not bad from 0 points. I went back to the garage and got another Motability car.
  • Gaina
    Gaina Community member Posts: 133 Pioneering
    Eniskaya9 said:
    Thank you so much
    My pleasure. Let us know how you get on. :)
  • Lorry
    Lorry Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    I had been on motability for 20 years, I had to go before PIP in September last year, on the mobility section I only got 4 points.I am still waiting a tribunal date. Motability gave me a couple of weeks with their car, I was also awarded £2000 as I had been on the scheme so long. They did say If i was awarded the higher rate as long as it was longer than 6 months I wouldn't need to pay any of the £2000 back. 
  • WaterLily
    WaterLily Community member Posts: 55 Courageous
    Been with motability for around 15 years while in receipt of DLA. Went through the PIP process and was downgraded to lower amount. I had only had the (new) motability  car a few months at the time. 
    Phoned motability. They said I could buy the car outright for a decent sum, but I didn’t want to do that. They made a date for me to return the car. I received my £2000 bonus. 
    Then exactly a week later, I heard back from the MR that I had been successful. 
    In the meantime, I had purchased my own car. 
    I still get free tax and I have my blue badge, but I did love my motability car. 

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    WaterLily said:
    In the meantime, I had purchased my own car. 
    To me that is the best thing anyone can do with PIP. They cannot take your car off you.
    In the past 5 years I have had 3 Motability cars taken off me. It doesn't bother me to be honest as I have given up driving as it no longer interests me. If I wanted to carry on driving I would have bought my own by now.
  • Eniskaya9
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Having a mobility car is great everything is paid for except the furl and any insurance excess.  Buying your own you have the insurance maintenance and  road side breakdown cover to pay for. Having my own car and able to put my second own mobility scooter in the boot allowing for fuel and my two daughter to be on the insurance, with enhanced mobility I am better off by over £1500 per year. So you take your money and make your chose. I know one mobility car owner who does over 12000 miles a year whereas I would do maximum 5000 a year if that now no worth having a new car sat outside to pose to the neighbours.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.