In case it's helpful — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

In case it's helpful

whistles
whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
Just in case this is is helpful to anyone, adding it here.

When you last saw your gp is kept on your file. If you have had telephone appointments, these are  not kept on your file.
I know as a rule the dwp don't contact your gp. But if they do, they only get told about your last f2f appointments.
I struggle going to the doctors so telephone appointments have been a god send. However these are not noted. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn’t know that @whistles, I assumed even a call would be logged!

Thanks for the info 
  • yingtong
    yingtong Community member Posts: 37 Pioneering
    I too have the same problem,as you do,but my doctor assured me that they record a telephone consultation in my note.
  • whistles
    A telephone call to mine the person got told when I last visited only. 
    I have had three telephone appointments, not logged.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Good point as many of us call the GP for an update or change in medication request ect so hopefully they are noted on you electronic data base.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    whistles said:
    Just in case this is is helpful to anyone, adding it here.

When you last saw your gp is kept on your file. If you have had telephone appointments, these are  not kept on your file.
    I know as a rule the dwp don't contact your gp. But if they do, they only get told about your last f2f appointments.
    I struggle going to the doctors so telephone appointments have been a god send. However these are not noted. 

I'll go one further, not all face to face meetings are recorded on record!

I went one day with a chesty cough. He asked how long had I had it. Told him on and off for nearly10 years. To this he remarked that I had not been before to see a GP? Rubbish I was told by another GP a couple of years previous that following scans/xrays I had Asthma and Pulmonary Fibrosis. To which he replied that it wasn't on my record (so why am I being prescribed medication for it?) He then ploughed through the online file and found the relevant documentation. He then asked having noticed something else if I was a military veteran - yes I was, is that not recorded either? Sorry no it isn't but there is a note of it within the file.

• whistles
    edited June 2018
    Maybe it's only recorded if your gp taps the computer. In future I will be saying log this. 

No outside input was a reason the dwp gave for refusing the award.
    Medication low dose. 
    To them it would look like all had been well for months!!!

• Angiebabes2410
    Angiebabes2410 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    I thought all consultations were on record both the ones face.to face as well as over the telephone and nurse practitioner or phlebotomist 
  • Yadnad
    I thought all consultations were on record both the ones face.to face as well as over the telephone and nurse practitioner or phlebotomist 
    Nope not in my surgery they are. Just the ones where further action is needed such as referral to a consultant etc.
    Anything like a chesty cough or arthritic pain which is ongoing does not get entered
  • whistles
    I only found this out by accident. There's me thinking I am keeping my gp in the loop- which I am. But to anyone looking at the file I am not. 
  • Yadnad
    whistles said:
    I only found this out by accident. There's me thinking I am keeping my gp in the loop- which I am. But to anyone looking at the file I am not. 
    Relying on GP's to provide evidence in support of any benefit - ESA or PIP is generally a mistake. I had a copy of what the GP sent in for an old DLA claim and apart from just a few medical problems being entered and most of my medication the rest contained the phrase - 'no idea, presumably he can'. Presumption is the keyword. None of my past GP;s nor the current one has the faintest of a clue how my life has been impacted with my medical issues - they don't live with me. If a GP does make a comment then it can only be either an assumption, but not a fact based on the medical history/medication or something that I have said and they are merely repeating it as coming from me. 
  • whistles
    edited June 2018
    The records thing came to light for something else, nothing to do with benefits.
    My point though is if the dwp had decided to make contact, it would look as if things didn't tally. We know they don't as a rule.

My gp is aware of how my life is effected, just not necessarily those descriptors.

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Seems funny this is happening to some of you all my GP documents everything including the last three telephone consultations as I needed and have just obtained them and my diagnosis list for my ESA. So it may seem some GP's don't.

GP's letters are very basic as a rule when filling in certain forms for the DWP im lucky mine do comprehensive reports for me as they know this system is wrong.

⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Yadnad
    whistles said:
    My gp is aware of how my life is effected, just not necessarily those descriptors.

Generally only because you have told him/her. The GP cannot confirm that it actually does impact because he/she doesn't see it first hand.
  • april123
    april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    They have more idea than a hp who only seen you for the first time for one hour if you normally see the same GP.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Even the gp doesn’t always read your notes after a phone call to the surgery, which is worrying.
    example, I called to say the sleeping tablets my gp changed me too were giving bad side effects and was not longer taking them and reverting back to old meds.
    i had taken the back to chemist as they were a controlled drug.
    Next prescription collection, no sleeping tablets and to see my gp.
    called and spoke to her, response was “ oh I didn’t look at you notes “

The problem is the gp,s are overworked and don’t have enough time 

• Yadnad
    april123 said:
    They have more idea than a hp who only seen you for the first time for one hour if you normally see the same GP.
    Well as a prime example I went to the GP's this morning. Turns out it was another doctor that I have never seen before! He had no idea whatsoever about any of my medical and mental health issues.
    His opening comments were that I was feeling rough because I had not bought my wife flowers recently?? **** is he on about!
    After that opening remark there was no way was I wanting to discuss my mental health problems so left it with telling him that my right shoulder blade was painful. With that I stood up, then he had me in a reverse bear hug with his right arm under my chin and started to pull backwards. and with his left arm twisting my left hand side ribcage - seriously. Then came the diagnosis - muscle spasm was my issue.
     I was out of there as fast as I could limp and waddle.

The guy was a complete nutter!
  • whistles
    Yadnad said:
    whistles said:

Generally only because you have told him/her. The GP cannot confirm that it actually does impact because he/she doesn't see it first hand.
    So how does the DM and assessor come to their conclusions? They are going by what's written and what's told to them. 
    I wasn't asked to show whether I could cook, it was agreed I couldn't for safety reasons, due to my condition.
    Then we get told its not about that, but for some, it is. 
    My gp knows my accommodation set up and so would be aware I can't manage. But I get what you mean though.  :)
    Yadnad said:
    april123 said:
    Well as a prime example I went to the GP's this morning. Turns out it was another doctor that I have never seen before! He had no idea whatsoever about any of my medical and mental health issues.
    His opening comments were that I was feeling rough because I had not bought my wife flowers recently?? **** is he on about!
    After that opening remark there was no way was I wanting to discuss my mental health problems so left it with telling him that my right shoulder blade was painful. With that I stood up, then he had me in a reverse bear hug with his right arm under my chin and started to pull backwards. and with his left arm twisting my left hand side ribcage - seriously. Then came the diagnosis - muscle spasm was my issue.
     I was out of there as fast as I could limp and waddle.

The guy was a complete nutter!

So @yadnad I guess from your above coment you want be going back to your GP. Sounds as if they employ nutters there. To be honest you don't seem to have much luck where you live maybe a move is on the cards buddy.
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• Yadnad

So @yadnad I guess from your above coment you want be going back to your GP. Sounds as if they employ nutters there. To be honest you don't seem to have much luck where you live maybe a move is on the cards buddy.
    As per the norm, I already avoid GP's like the plague that is unless it is absolutely necessary. I'm sure the guy was on something. My poor wife was sat down whilst I had this brute grab me from behind asking 'does that hurt?' - no this? Arrrh and this? Arrrrh! At that point I was about to lose it and give him my right elbow straight into his stomach!
    I saw her face of relief that I didn't hit the fella.
    Move where? Another practice? Why should I, it's 111 for me in future.
    @Yadnad sounds pretty rough where you live with nutter GP's and 40 different languages and built up area you now live, how I know this I was reading some of your other posts. Perhaps now the time to move.

I moved years ago from all that rat race to a village that is a world Heritage site and the population is on 500 it's bliss and they can't built new houses here period and only one language. I had enough living down south to hectic for me I prefere the quite life I won't even visit people down there they come here.

Trust me I'm surprised he treated you like that but seems the way country is going. To the dogs bring back the good old days when people had respect.
    ⬇️

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.