Universal credit and Esa — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Universal credit and Esa

Coffeecazzy
Coffeecazzy Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited June 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi can anyone help me please.

I was getting 30.00 per week in working tax credits credits per week and my partner has now moved in so we have had to make a joint claim for universal credit.

I work 30 hours per week and my partner receives contributions based esa of 223.00 every 2 weeks as he is severely disabled and can not work.  He also gets both advanced elements of p.I. p.

MY QUESTION IS.  WILL HIS CB  ESA BE COUNTED IN UNIVERSAL CREDIT.  IT SAYS THAT THIS BENEFIT IS NOT INCLUDED BUT I HAVE HAD NO TAX CREDITS FOR 4 WEEKS NOW AND I HAVE NO CLUE IF I WILL EVEN GET ANY  U.C. AT ALL AS ALL THE BENEFITS CALCULATORS GIVE ME DIFFERENT ANSWERS.    

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Yes his ESA payments will be taken off the UC payments. Most likely the reason you're getting different answers on the benefits calculators is because of the CB ESA claim your partner has. I don't think it takes this into account.

You won't receive tax credits anymore but it will be in with the UC child element. When did you apply for UC? Once you apply online you'll be sent an email to confirm your email address followed by another email to confirm your identity, have you had any of these? You can also log onto your online UC account to see what it say.

First payment of UC takes 6 weeks and then it's paid monthly.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Coffeecazzy
    Coffeecazzy Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi there.  Thank you for your reply.  My uc account says that if I am entitled to u.c. I will get it in 9 days.  I have no children and I do work.  I used to get 28.00 per week as working tax credits but even though I was advised to claim uc as my circumstances had changed, I have been through this for nothing as I doubt if I will get anything under u.c.  I do receive pip standard rates though.  I just couldn't understand the system so thank you for clarifying it for me.     X 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Coffeecazzy,

Yes, as Poppy says the contribution-based ESA is taken into account. The benefits calculator should take this into account though. I'd recommend EntitledTo and Turn2Us - you should get the same answer, but it is tough going sometimes to fill out the online calculator.

The contribution-based ESA will be taken into account pound for pound. Your earnings will be taken into account too, but not on a pound for pound basis (you'll be able to keep some earnings before they reduce your UC).

You may find that you're worse off but it's complicated by the fact that we don't know what you would have got under the old system (ie if you had been able to make joint claims for Working Tax Credit etc when your partner moved in, instead of UC). Without doing the old calculation I can't be sure, but I'd expect that you will be worse off than you would have been if you'd been able to claim the old benefits as a couple.

If you are substantially worse off it's probably worth seeing your MP. One of the problems is that UC doesn't have any adult disability premiums. However, if your partner is in the support group for ESA (I think he is), you should get what's called the limited capability for work-related activity element in your UC. When you get your statement, it should look something like this:

standard allowance for a couple £498.89
    limited capability for work-related activity £328.32 (this will be substantially less if your partner is NOT in the support group)
    housing costs element (if you pay rent)  - I can't say what this is & it will also depend on whether you rent from a private or social landlord

There's also the possibility of a carer element which would be £156.45. You can get this even if you work, but you'd have to be caring for your partner for at least 35 hours a week which may not be possible with your work etc. Something to think about anyway.

Let's say then that there's no rent & no carer element at the moment. Your maximum UC would be £827.21. That is what you'd get if you had no income to be taken into account.
    The whole of the contributory ESA would come off it: £479.92 a month (this is his fortnightly benefit on a monthly basis). 
    Then your wages would come off it, but because your partner is in the support group, they will ignore the first £198 (if you have housing costs in the calculation) or £409 (if you don't have housing costs in the calculation, eg you own your home). Then they take 63% of the excess, and that comes off your UC.

It's also worth saying that it is net income they take into account (ie your take home monthly pay).

Without knowing your housing costs or your earnings, I can't do the rest of the calculation, but I hope this helps a bit. 

First payment of UC should now take 5 weeks (one month plus 7 days), which is bit better but still not great. Do feel free to come back to me & I am happy to help some more (I'm only on the forum about once a week, but my colleagues are here the rest of the time).

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.