Let’s hear some success stories! — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Let’s hear some success stories!

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
So some of us are newly applying for PIP and some of us are having to transfer over from DLA - there’s got to be some successful stories and I think they need sharing more to give other people hope :)

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Both lovely positive outcomes x
  • oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 216 Pioneering
    Nice to read some good news from contesting DWP decision.
    I am contesting my Mobility Award.
    I've gone from full DLA lifetime award to lower mobility, to be reviewed in three years time.
  • [Deleted User]
    @Castleford1 how did you know yours was paper based and how long did it take? I’m hoping for a paper based decision from DLA to PIP xx
  • stapeley
    stapeley Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    You really have to read their own descriptors and use them in your replies , if you stick to it and not get side tracked its hard for them to deny you . Got put in support group of ESA . will use same tactics for PIP claim .

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,905 Disability Gamechanger
    niknoo said:
    @Castleford1 how did you know yours was paper based and how long did it take? I’m hoping for a paper based decision from DLA to PIP xx
    If you have a paper based assessment then you'll know because you wouldn't have been to a face 2 face assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • [Deleted User]
    Lovely positive answer and outcome @debsidoo
  • yingtong
    yingtong Community member Posts: 37 Pioneering
    I transferred from DLA to PIP a year ago without any problems whatsoever.I had ATOS assessor who was a paramedic,at home,it lasted about 40 minutes,he was kind and considerate.I was awarded enhanced in both elements and my review wouldn't be until 2027.Age UK filled my PIP application forms in.
  • [Deleted User]
    Lovely to hear all these stories, especially regarding nice assessments! Keep them coming. Xx
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    My f2f in October last year was actually ok,

assessor was politie and spoke to my friend more than me as I couldn’t talk very well, anxiety.

she said numerous time I can appeal which gave me an idea of the outcome. She said some of my issues physically and mentally didn’t fit the deciphers so to appeal.

she was honest and I did appeal and won.

I don’t blame her in the slightest as they have certain questions to ask.

• [Deleted User]
    It really does help as it can be all
    doom and gloom, so heating other peoples good experiences give other people hope. Xx
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    niknoo said:
    It really does help as it can be all
    doom and gloom, so heating other peoples good experiences give other people hope. Xx
    The statistics clearly show that for the vast majority of PIP claimants they receive the correct award first time. It is only a minority that have difficulties.
    So in a way you can disregard those in the minority group.

However you have to look at the system and try to find out why do the minority have problems with all of their claims, whilst the majority sail through them?

It should be an equal and level playing field for everyone and should not be decided on knowledge of PIP, lack of evidence as well as obtaining quality welfare advice and help. To me it is a two tier system.
  • [Deleted User]
    @Yadnad I absolutely agree with you but I done this post so people can share their positive experiences to help ease the minds of other people, whilst I’m fully aware that the outcomes differ for everyone - it’s nice to hear that some people are getting the right awards first time round with no issues. Xx
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

My DLA to PIP assessment was done by an OT.

It took 60 minutes and it was carried in a kind friendly way.

The lady could see I was struggling to answer questions, asked my wife them.

At the end I had some reports to give and she asked my wife to get them copied, at the desk, so she could read them.

We left the room and asked my wife to get me to car, before getting the copies.

The assessor was by the front office, when my wife met her.

The assessor asked how I was, to which my wife saiid I was exhausted and wanted to get home.

The kind lady said she sorry that the assessment had caused problems, "but not to worry about anything " .

I got enhance for both for 5 years.

Best wishes
  • Castleford1
    Castleford1 Community member Posts: 59 Courageous
    Niknoo, I knew my daughter would be having a paper based assessment because when DWP received the application, a lady rang to ask me some questions (I am my daughters appointee).  She told me on the phone that Alison would not be having a face to face.   I asked her again as I needed to know because if there was a f2f my daughter would need an advocate (she has severe learning disabilities).  She confirmed that there would definitely not be a f2f and they would write to tell me the outcome.  Alison received enhanced on both parts for 10 years.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.