I'm a young carer please help me with this questionnaire — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm a young carer please help me with this questionnaire

Options
Charlie_Rideout
Charlie_Rideout Community member Posts: 3 Listener
My mother is permanently disabled due to slipped discs. I decided to Base my GCSE DT project on disability. However, I only know one disabled person, my mother, to do a questionaire. Therefore I would like to ask all member of this forum that use crutches, and not permanently in a wheelchair to answer just a few questions for me. Thank you very much it would help a lot.

1. How often do you use both crutches?
All the time
20+ times a month 
10-20 times a month
<10 times a month
Never 

2. How often do you fall on crutches?
Every day
Every week
Every month 
Never 

3. When you fall do you need assistance?
Yes
No

4. Do you ever find yourself unable to carry a drink ?
Yes
No

5. If not how do are you able to?

Thank you very much for participating I will update you with my final product which aims to aid and improve a disabled persons day to day life, if you would like.

Comments

• Charlie_Rideout
    Options
    I completely understand if you do not wish to participate but it would help me greatly!
  • Amskidoodles
    Amskidoodles Community member Posts: 16 Courageous
    Options
    HI Charlie_Rideout - I am also interested in design work for disabled people. Any tips you pick up along your journey would be greatly appreciated.
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Charlie Rideout, I'd love to have helped you but unfortunately I'm in the wheelchair most of the time so I'm not much use to you. Good luck and I hope you'll have many replies ?
  • Amskidoodles
    Options
    Hello @Gwendoline1 - I have been hoping to design a product to help wheelchair users! I would really value your opinion on some of the discussions + polls I have set up! Thank you, Amskidoodles :)
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi Amskidoodles, I'd love to help if I can! ?
  • Amskidoodles
    Options
    GREAT! My discussion is 'Design for Disability' - I am soo excited to hear your thoughts, many many thanks! 
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    Options

1. How often do you use both crutches?
    <10 times a month

I only have full use of one arm and that is becoming worse now, i usually only use 1 crutch.

2. How often do you fall on crutches?
    Never

i'm very slow moving.

3. When you fall do you need assistance?
    N/A

4. Do you ever find yourself unable to carry a drink ?
    Yes.

I need assistance every time i use my crutch.

5. If not how do are you able to?
    N/A
  • Charlie_Rideout
    Options
    Thank you very much feir and thank you as well gwendonline. My current design idea is a capsual to go inside the chrutch shaft and be pinned in place using the holes. It could go anywhere but the higher the better. Inside the capsual would be a circuit board and as far as I know the follow components so far. 
    - piezoelectric disc 
    - capacitor
    - resistors
    - tilt switch 
    - some yet unresearched circuit wizardry to pattern the load buzzes similar to a fire alarm, to SOS In more code.

The main idea is that it's easy to put in/take out and when vertical the tilt switch breaks the circuit, but when horizontal it makes it and the buzzes begin so that when the person falls the alarm will sound.

I'm only in rough design stages atm and I have a few problems to sort out as well a few other small ideas or changes to consider however.

To Amskidoodles, my advice is to take it as slow as possible. It is frustrating at times, but also important that you don't rush it. Its important to take into account all the possible ideas then designs and pages upon pages of research for inspiration and to design the best product possible.

Thank you and I hope that helped.
    Charlie.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Charlie_Rideout

It sounds like a very interesting product that you are wanting to design! We would love to see the progress and I hope you get enough questionnaire responses :)
    Scope

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.