I worry about my adult son with ADHD — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I worry about my adult son with ADHD

wenlock
wenlock Community member Posts: 9 Listener
This discussion was created from comments split from: Support for my son after he turns 18.

Comments

• wenlock
    wenlock Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Hi. 
    I have a son who turns 18yrs of age in December, he has ADHD and is very immature for his years. It worries me that without my guidance he will make inappropriate and impulsive decisions which could put him at risk of being in harms way. I know we have to let our children grow up and cut the apron strings but ADHD is a whole new ball game. Already the secrecy, the lying and coming home late has started and I worry so much about how vulnerable  he is. So... any help or advice is welcomed. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this with us, @wenlock.

Hopefully some of our community members will be in touch and able to offer some guidance- I'm tagging in @theresa73 and @anonG who have also discussed experiences with adult children with ADHD on the community.
  • theresa73
    theresa73 Community member Posts: 25 Connected
    Hi. My SON Ronan lost is PIP and mandatory appealed it as what they said about during his assessment was a lie. Now he won't let it go to court to appeal it because he doesn't want to go through the stress of it.   He is supposed to see a new psychologist today and it's took me weeks to beg him to go to this because he hates meeting new people..  He is 19 and still convinced that there is nothing wrong with him now because he lost his PIP that's convinced him all the more  so it's not helped.   It took him alot to go to the assessment in the first place  so now he thinks im the lier and they know better.    It's so hard when you have a child now teenager with ADHD especially one that is is denial.  I'm hoping I can convince him to go to his meeting today..  he comes out in a stress rash and gets himself worked up.. but i can only try. ?
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for sharing this @theresa73, and I'm so sorry to hear about your experiences- the PIP outcome must have been really tough on you both. Really hope today is worthwhile, and if we can be of any assistance, please do let us know.

Brightness