Got my PIP award today — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Got my PIP award today

Retro89
Retro89 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Hi Everyone.

I moved home in Feb of this year so naturally I had to update the DWP on a change of address, at this time i was still on DLA (Indefinite lower care, higher mobility). A week after I got the letter to say my DLA was ending and that I would have to apply for PIP.
Had my PIP assessment (Home visit) in mid May which I thought went well. Today I received my award letter.

Daily Living Needs - Standard (8 Points scored)
Mobility Needs - Standard (10 Points scored)

I have no issues with the Daily Living part, that's perfectly fair. However the Mobility part is the major concern for me, I'm 2 points short of the Enhanced rate which means I lose my current mobility car and any sort of indepence I have left.

They have put on the letter stating I can "Plan and follow a route of a journey unaided" which isn't true. Me and my carer stated multiple times with the assessor that I can only make journeys when I have someone with me due to my physical and mental health.

Obviously my first step is to request a Mandatory Reconsideration, has anyone else done one of these and had success from it or will it eventually have to go to a full on appeal?

Thanks.

Comments

• lucylucy
    lucylucy Community member Posts: 13 Listener
    hi retro i got my pip response today i already knew my result sa i phoned monday but when letter arrived today shocked i got 0-12 for planning a journey as when i go out i need 100% help i need catherters wheelcair lift so i have to plan everything like a military operation i got 12-12 fot getting around it mistifies me how they come up with this stuff
  • Retro89
    For the mobility part I got

0 out 12 for Planning and following a journey
    10 out of 12 for Moving around

Any sort of journey I go on I need someone with me, even if it's to a familiar place.

Seems strange to me you can get points in one but not the other as they both tie in together.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    Retro89 said:

Any sort of journey I go on I need someone with me, even if it's to a familiar place.

Seems strange to me you can get points in one but not the other as they both tie in together.

For a start you cannot have a Motability car under the planning and following section no matter how many points you get.

To qualify for a Motability car you will need 12 points in the moving around section - that you cannot physically walk more than 20 metres.

You have received 10 points under that sector. Forget the planning section - that will not get you anywhere. You have to argue that your mobility is that poor that you are entitled to 12 and not 10 points.

They have split the mobility section that way to only allow those that have difficulty walking to get a Mobility car. 
  • Retro89
    Yadnad said:
    Retro89 said:

For a start you cannot have a Motability car under the planning and following section no matter how many points you get.

To qualify for a Motability car you will need 12 points in the moving around section - that you cannot physically walk more than 20 metres.

You have received 10 points under that sector. Forget the planning section - that will not get you anywhere. You have to argue that your mobility is that poor that you are entitled to 12 and not 10 points.

They have split the mobility section that way to only allow those that have difficulty walking to get a Mobility car. 
    20 Metres is all I can walk. So what you are saying is you need 12 out of 12 points to get the Enchanced rate even though the Planning and Following a journey part is under the Mobility bit of my letter.

I was under the impression it was a total of 24 points for Mobility. If this isn't the case then looks like any sort of freedom I have will be taken away.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.