Visiting York with a mobility scooter....advice please. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Visiting York with a mobility scooter....advice please.

exdvr
exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi,   I'm looking forward to a 4 night stay in York near the city centre.

As a mobility scooter user what are some of the best suggestions for attractions in the immediate area or even within about a 15 mile radius ?

Thanks in advance.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @exdvr

I hope you have a great time in York! When are you going?

There is a website called Euan's Guide which is where places are reviewed based on disability access. You can pin point it to look at things primarily in York so will be able to find out what is suitable for your needs.

https://www.euansguide.com/reviews/results/?city=York&countrycode=GB&location=York, UK&sortby=NumberOfReviews

Hope you have a great time and let us know how you found it!
    Scope

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @exdvr, hope you enjoy your stay! I'm from York myself and the website provided above by Chloe has some great suggestions. It depends on when you're coming, but the Great Yorkshire Fringe also starts in a couple of weeks, right in the city centre!
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @Pippa Scope,  Had 4 nights in York last week just after my 70th.  Travelled via M90/M8/M74/M6 and A66.  Stayed at the new-ish Layerthorpe Travelodge on the edge of the river Foss in an excellent twin accessible room with a wetroom and plenty of space for the scooter.  10 minute walk into the city centre with too many attractions to fit in on a midweek break.  Lots of cafes and restaurants to choose from.. Visited the Railway Museum, York Castle Museum, the Jorvick Centre, took a 70 minute evening cruise on the Ouse, and visited Rowntree Park. Unfortunately the Shambles was just exactly that with cobbles, narrow uneven pavements, and tiny inaccessible shops. Lovely to look at but really not disabled friendly.

We spent one full day visiting Pickering and Whitby.....love Whitby with its Captain Cook and Dracula connections.   Returned home on Saturday via the A19 bypassing Newcastle using the Tyne Tunnel and up the coastline to Berwick, Edinburgh then Perth.

Word of caution...very many uneven and sloping pavements and too many cobbles to comfortably contend with even though my scooter has suspension. Beware pedestrians who don't look where they're going !!  York being a main communications junction can be a very noisy place to visit, but all told we thoroughly enjoyed our break.  Wish it could have been longer.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• Erinesque
    Erinesque Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I just recently found out that my ancestors came from York, and have been wanting to visit as well, but the idea of mobility has been a concern for me as well. 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @exdvr, so pleased you had a good stay- I only recently discovered Rowntree park myself but it's quickly become a favourite!

Very well said about the cobbles too- I use a wheelchair/powerchair myself and steer clear of the Shambles! The main part of the city centre (Parliament Street) is relatively flat so I wouldn't let it put you off visiting @Erinesque- I suppose it's just a case of knowing where/where not to go. I can highly recommend Monks Cross and the Designer Outlet too- I've found them both to be very accessible! 

Brightness