PIP POINTS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP POINTS

Options
Luggah
Luggah Community member Posts: 18 Listener
Hi, good evening.

Does anyone know how pip points are calculated.  Eg can points be added up for preparing food. Like 4 for using aids and then add 3 for having supervision

Ddd

Comments

• Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Options
    Hiya it's only one set of points from each descriptor only.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,018 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Luggah
    Options
    Thank you, was asking as read somewhere they can be added.  Bit confusing.
    Ddd
  • Cazann
    Cazann Community member Posts: 83 Pioneering
    Options
    Luggah said:
    Hi, good evening.

Does anyone know how pip points are calculated.  Eg can points be added up for preparing food. Like 4 for using aids and then add 3 for having supervision

I don't think you can do it that way. I thought the same when I was adding my points up. Preparing Food; It is 2 for using aids and 4 for needing supervision. So you would have 4 points. I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Good Luck.
  • Luggah
    Options
    Think it's correct, but wanted to double check. 
    Ddd
  • Luggah
    Options
    Thanks for help everyone :)
    Ddd
  • Luggah
    Options
    Goings for mandatory reconsideration.. it's really tough, don't know where to get advice. Citizen ad vice refuse as only help with appeals
    Ddd
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Options
    @Luggah okay let's explain this a little better. So if you look at this as an example. You use aids to help you aids or appliance and can't use them you would score 2. Then you say you cannot use as microwave or cooker again 2.
    Then you need prompting again 2.

So im theory you would add all these above you would have 6 points. But if you then need supervision or assistance that would give you 4 points.

And then you don't get points from 1 f if you don't fit within this (Cannot prepare and cook food. 8 points.)

But if you fit in this (need supervision or assistance) this is your highest scoring descriptor.. So therefore you will only get the 4points for 1 e even though you scored in the above. You would only score one set of point, I hope this makes sense to you.

Preparing food. 
    1 a. Can prepare and cook a simple meal unaided. 0 points
    1 b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points
    1 c. Cannot cook a simple meal using a conventional cooker but is able to do so using a microwave. 2 points
    1 d. Needs prompting to be able to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 2 points
    1 e. Needs supervision or assistance to either prepare or cook a simple meal. 4 points.
    1 f. Cannot prepare and cook food. 8 points.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Cazann
    Options
    Luggah said:
    Goings for mandatory reconsideration.. it's really tough, don't know where to get advice. Citizen ad vice refuse as only help with appeals
    I went to CAB and was given a Mandatory Reconsideration letter to send in and was told that they usually turn you down anyway. Which they did, so I'm now appealing to a tribunal but haven't got a date yet. I don't think that I'll hear from them for months, as they are snowed under with appeals. So don't be too disheartened if you are turned down at the Mandertory Reconsideration stage. Have you claimed DLA before, or is PIP your first claim?
    Good luck with it.
  • Luggah
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Was on indefinite DLA before,  I now understand how points system work, cheers guys.  It is stressful
    Ddd
  • Cazann
    Options
    Hi Luggah

I too was on DLA for 13 years and last year I had to apply for PIP. I have osteoarthritis in both of my knees and lower spine. Since I was awarded DLA (higher rate imobility, indefinitely) I was diagnosed with HNPP.  The problem is many doctors haven't even heard of it. It's an heredatory neuropothy with  pressure palsy that affects my nerves and muscles and it has made my osteoarthritis far worse than before. The assessor only gave me 4 points and put down things that I hadn't said and didn't include things that I had told her. It was very upsetting to read her report but when I went on this site and read what others had said about thier face to face meetings, it seems that I'm not the only one.
    What is your disability Luggah?
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You choose the highest descriptor that applies in that category.

For example, using aids to prepare food is one descriptor, 2 points, and needing someone to help prepare food is a different descriptor, 4 points.I claimed 4, DWP awarded 2, tribunal awarded 4.

Yes it is complex - no wonder people get confused over these fiddly 'descriptors'.
  • Luggah
    Options
    Thank you for advice, my gp now saying I missed out a lot of other problems I have which he can evidence.  If I now add these dwp will think im lying as not mention before..
    Ddd
  • Luggah
    Options
    Does anyone know how I can change my user name, I don't want two reading this
    Ddd
  • poppy123456
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Luggah said:
    Thank you for advice, my gp now saying I missed out a lot of other problems I have which he can evidence.  If I now add these dwp will think im lying as not mention before..
    As you've been refused and the MR is your next step then unfortunately unless those conditions were mentioned either on the PIP2 form, or at the assessment. Then DWP and the Tribunal (if you get that far) will not take any new conditions into consideration. You need to concentrate on the conditions that you did mention and send evidence for those and not anything new.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Luggah
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It's an another exiting condition I have but did not mention clearly how it affects me,  but I did mention on form.  They said I have no evidence and this condition is reason for my pain
    Ddd
  • poppy123456
    Options
    It's not about a diagnosis, it totally depends on how those conditions affect you.
  • Luggah
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thank you every for advice,  can i say in letter how much points I think  I should be awarded. 
    Ddd
  • Luggah
    Options
  • Luggah
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone, do you know where I can find out how long my award is for,  i want to challenge this on the mandatory reconsideration.  Do i go by what it says on the assessment report.  also is there a way i can edit my user name on my profile
    Ddd

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.