How long did it take for your PIP decision? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long did it take for your PIP decision?

Androgen
Androgen Community member Posts: 86 Courageous
Just curious how long it took other people form applying to assessment, and actually getting a decision on their PIP claims?

I'm transferring over from DLA, received a letter at the start of December to apply, took them until March to send the forms, and then I had an unrequested home visit assessment 4-5 weeks ago in June, and still waiting to hear something from them, other than a text saying DWP have me report and I should hear from them within 4 weeks (sent on the 22nd June).

I've seen a lot of people claiming it depends on where you live, but my housemate applied at the same time and hers went through completely differently, she got her forms in January, assessment in a centre in February, and a decision made about 2 weeks later.

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    I would phone them and ask the question, can’t hurt 
  • Androgen
    I can't make phone calls due to hearing and speech issues, but I've asked my appointed person to call and I'm currently waiting for her to get a chance, hoping to ask for a copy of the report as well since they've had it for 4 weeks now
  • susan48
    Fingers crossed your appointed person can call for you soon. 
    The last time my friend called for me they were on hold for 45 minutes, be prepared for a wait.

yes they have had long enough, hopefully you get some answers.

Please keep us update on how you get on 
  • Androgen
    I think last time we tried to call we were on hold for about an hour, and then they just hung up instead of actually answering...
    I'm just hoping it hasn't taken them 4 weeks to decide they're not giving me an award, since they'd have probably wanted to do that sooner since they're still paying me DLA while I wait, but I guess we'll see
  • susan48
    Hope you get through today and finally get some answers. 
    Pits all the waiting that’s hard, they are quick at taking money from you though but to get what you entitled to, that’s a different story.

Good luck though
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya Androgen, Just wanted to put your mind at rest that you're not on your own, I had my assessment done on the 4th June, the dwp received my hcp report on the 8th June and I m still waiting ( had the hcp report on the 13th June ) your not on your own. Hopefully we'll hear soon. Good luck ???
  • curiousgirl96
    curiousgirl96 Posts: 8 Listener
    Hello!

I recently applied for PIP for my son.  I was awarded high rate mobility and low rate care. I honestly do not remember how long it took them to decide. My son’s social worker helped me with my claim paperwork. Eventually I got a report through the mail saying that a decision was made regarding my son’s award. I showed my son’s social worker the report and they were forced into manual reconsideration. I even considered taking my son to the assessment appointment with his bulky wheelchair and all of his medical equipment. 
  • Androgen
    Never managed to contact them in the end, but I finally got the letter through today with the decision, and I got awarded enhanced rates for both, and they seem to be backdating it for some reason, which I didn't think they did when transitioning from DLA to PIP
  • Gwendoline1
    Gwendoline1 Community member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    Hiya Androgen, Great news,well done. Do you mind me asking ( don’t reply if you don’t want to ) was it the same points awarded from the decision maker as the hcp assessment report. Only asking because I’m still waiting my dm report , was on the 4th June and still not heard.Brilliant news relax and enjoy the rest from the stress.???
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    Androgen said:
    Never managed to contact them in the end, but I finally got the letter through today with the decision, and I got awarded enhanced rates for both, and they seem to be backdating it for some reason, which I didn't think they did when transitioning from DLA to PIP

Your right @Androgen there is no backdating DLA to PIP? I would be very careful in accepting that back payment otherwise you run the risk of a whole lot of grief.

Glad you got your award.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,349 Disability Gamechanger
    I would check with DWP that, that back dated money is correct because when transferring from DLA to PIP there is no back dated money awarded. Your DLA continues for 4 weeks after the PIP decision, then your PIP starts 4 weeks after that. Maybe you've just misunderstood the award letter?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
    Androgen said:

Your right @Androgen there is no backdating DLA to PIP? I would be very careful in accepting that back payment otherwise you run the risk of a whole lot of grief.

Glad you got your award.

Also to add, this is from my DLA to PIP.

⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• Androgen
    I got that on my letter as well, but because the 4 weeks after the decision lands me part-way between the 4 week interval for my DLA payments they've adjusted the rate I get in that period, rather than an actual backpayment as such
    Androgen said:
    I got that on my letter as well, but because the 4 weeks after the decision lands me part-way between the 4 week interval for my DLA payments they've adjusted the rate I get in that period, rather than an actual backpayment as such
    @Androgen Yes you would have that worded the same as mine. that's sounds right now so you got the few quid to make up the difference between the changeover.  Sorted.

Sorry must ask how long did the give it to you for. Mine ongoing.
    ⬇️

• Androgen
    Mine's only valid until 2021, but they seem to be planning to contact me in 2020, so 2-3 years, which seems a bit odd since it's for lifelong disabilities, and my DLA was indefinite
    edited July 2018
    Androgen said:
    Mine's only valid until 2021, but they seem to be planning to contact me in 2020, so 2-3 years, which seems a bit odd since it's for lifelong disabilities, and my DLA was indefinite
    @Androgen that's 3 years but 2 as they review as you already know a year before, my DLA was the same but Capita see sense when they did my PIP no FTF ongoing and No review needed again.

Yes mine are lifelong and not getting any better any time soon either.

You can ask for your report they've done on you? If you had an assessment ask and phone the DWP for form  PA4, if No FTF ask for PA3. I have mine and it's 100% correct on all counts.
    ⬇️

• Androgen
    I was given a home assessment for my face to face, even though we never requested one (don't you usually have to provide medical evidence and ask for a home assessment?) so I should have a report somewhere, though based on the entitlement letter I have the points are in weird places, so I'm not entirely sure what happened and will probably have to try and get a copy of the actual report
    edited July 2018
    Sometimes if they think a home visit is needed with PIP they will Just grant it without medical evidence. As I diden't have a Face to Face I sent in so much to the point functional and medical and anecdotal evidence I was spared a FTF.
    Get another report. This is the back of my PA3.

⬇️

• Androgen
    I didn't actually send off any medical evidence with my claim, because they already had my diagnostic information from when I went on DLA 7 years ago, and they apparently decided it was relevant for me to have a home assessment, and an appointee, but that I'm probably going to improve in the next 2-3 years
    Androgen said:
    I didn't actually send off any medical evidence with my claim, because they already had my diagnostic information from when I went on DLA 7 years ago, and they apparently decided it was relevant for me to have a home assessment, and an appointee, but that I'm probably going to improve in the next 2-3 years

@Androgen oh dear, you learnt the hard way never trust what they say always add updated evidence and DLA is different to PIP in more ways than one.

I never allowed them to use my DLA. I believe if you had given updated evidence you would have got longer maybe. Never trust the DWP as they will do the opposite.
    ⬇️

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.