PIP Appeal Form - what to send ?. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP Appeal Form - what to send ?.

skinnygirl101
skinnygirl101 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
I am appealing my PIP decision and I’ve filled in the appeal form and I have a doctors letter that proves what the DWP is saying is wrong but the person I saw at Citizens Advice said not to send any of the medical evidence with the appeal form and hand that in on the day of the tribunal rather than send it in with the appeal form. So I’m stuck on what to do ?. Any help would be great , thanks. 

Comments

• clarabelle
    clarabelle Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
    I'd send it and take it with you. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    I would not advise you to hand it in on the day of the hearing. You don't have to send it with the form but you should make sure that any evidence you send arrives at least 10 days before the hearing. If you don't then it may not be used as evidence, if you take it on the day.

Any evidence you previously sent DWP will be sent to the Tribunal by DWP. They also send everything you sent, this will include the original form you returned.

Don't expect date for your hearing anytime soon. Backlogs are huge across most of the country and some are waiting 1 year for their hearing. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    You can send additional evidence to tribunal up to two weeks before hearing date and even not more than two pages of A4 on the day.  I was given this advice by BenefitsTrainingCo.

I don't understand why CAB told you to take medical evidence on the day if you have it available at least two weeks before hearing.  Sending in evidence in advance will give the panel more time to consider it.  

I think the allowing of brief additional evidence on the day is for papers that only become available at short notice.  The clerk will come out and ask if you have any additional evidence to submit.
  • skinnygirl101
    Thanks guys , @Matilda he said to take my evidence on the day so the DWP don’t have time to prepare an “attack” to dispute my evidence.
  • Matilda
    Maybe CAB are right though DWP only send reps to hearings in a minority of cases - but you might be one of the unlucky ones.  As long as the doctor's letter isn't more than two pages of A4 you can submit it on the day.
  • poppy123456
    Thanks guys , @Matilda he said to take my evidence on the day so the DWP don’t have time to prepare an “attack” to dispute my evidence.
    Terrible advice you've been given here, sorry, who ever advised you needs kicking out of the door.  As mike also stated, you'll need more evidence than just a letter from your GP too.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • skinnygirl101
    I know they can review your whole reward before anyone jumps down my throat but I’m only disputing one section of my reward. I was awarded enhanced daily living and standard mobility (10 points moving around) and I feel I should’ve scored 4 points for “planning and following a journey” but they scored me 0. I have a doctors letter stating I have a cognitive impairment that prevents me from planning and following a journey plus a letter and scan from a neurologist stating this too. 
  • Matilda
    edited July 2018
    @skinnygirl101

CAB have a good reputation and know a lot about appeals.  If the evidence they say you should not submit until the day is not more than two A4 pages, then you have nothing to lose by submitting it on the day.

While medical evidence is important, the most strongest testimony is your own on the day.  The panel are interested in what you can and can't do and will ask you a lot of questions to ascertain this for themselves.  While every case is different, the only medical evidence submitted to my appeal was 19 years old from when I first claimed DLA (though still relevant because I have a degenerative disease).  But mainly I won my appeal based on the strength of my own testimony.  Enhanced both components, up from standard both components.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Send phptocopies to them.
    Take originals  with you.
    Dont let them out of your sight
  • poppy123456
    @Matilda, I have to completely disagree with you here.

Why would you want to hold onto the evidence until the day of the Tribunal? A claimant has months and months to send their evidence, you should make sure that the evidence arrives at least 10 days before the hearing. What good will it do to hold onto it?
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2018
    I agree with Mike, but on the other hand can fully understand why people don't want to put the DWP on notice that further evidence is available that could help swing the award from Standard to Enhanced. People simply don't trust the DWP to take notice of the evidence. They are fixated on their decision and the feeling is that they will try anything to discredit it. 
    I had a report from my GP way back that clearly said that my mobility issues were proven in hospital by way of a walking machine. Two tests were carried out with the results being the same - failed at 10 metres. Yet It took me two attempts to get the DWP to actually read the report properly before they upped my award from 0 points to standard mobility and then to Enhanced. It was as though they tried everything to get me to accept Standard and then when they had no alternative they relented.
    Until the DWP can show that they can be trusted to be fair and honest not that many people would want to put their trust in them.
  • Matilda
    @poppy123456

For the reason that the OP said the CAB had given her.  Take a look at the OP's second post above.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Definitely send the evidence, but keep copies, before the hearing date. As already stated this will give the tribunal panel time to read it before your hearing. 

Good luck
  • poppy123456
    Matilda said:
    @poppy123456

For the reason that the OP said the CAB had given her.  Take a look at the OP's second post above.
    I did, which was why i commented quoting the comment. Which is why i'm sticking to what i said. Terrible advice given by CAB!
  • Matilda
    skinnygirl101 can make up her own mind whether to take CAB's advice.

It is permissible to hand in a couple of pages of A4 on the day.  BenefitsTrainingCo told me so.  And the clerk came out before my hearing to ask if I had any additional evidence to submit.
  • Yadnad

I did, which was why i commented quoting the comment. Which is why i'm sticking to what i said. Terrible advice given by CAB!
    Absolutely agree but let’s be clear that it’s not CAB it’s CA abd it’s a renegade individual not the organisation.
    Hi Mike - not the CAB? This is the second time in as many weeks that the advice given by the CAB or one of its advisors that may well lead claimants into trouble or unnecessary difficulties. The first was the advice given on the CAB website regarding what to do if the claimant thinks they have had a change of circumstances.
  • poppy123456
    Matilda said:
    skinnygirl101 can make up her own mind whether to take CAB's advice.

If that was true then skinnygirl101 wouldn't have asked the question in the first place. It seems like to me that she was worried about the advice she was given, which was why the question was asked.
  • Matilda
    But she's now received advice so she is better placed to decide what to do.
  • Yadnad

Having managed a bureau back in the day for a short period and do various bits of liaison over the years I can say with some confidence that like all advice work the quality is dependent upon funding and management. Like anything it will vary but also like anything the actions of one individual do not tell you anything about the organisation as a whole.
    I'm not disputing what you say but all it takes is a couple of 'bad apples' and a little poor advice on a web page to bring the whole organisation into disrepute.

My own opinion of the branch that I have managed to visit over the years was mediocre - some very poor advice and one or two bits of good. I even had my DLA form filled out by them back in 1995. They completed the care part but failed to put anything in for the mobility part. I had to rectify that when I received the decision and questioned why there was no mobility award - I was told that it was because I hadn't completed that part! Taught me to read the completed from next time before signing it and allowing them to post it off for me.
  • Yadnad
    Maybe the desert when it comes to good quality, easily accessible Welfare Rights advice and help  but this area is fortunately known as the 'Garden of England'.

I actually checked out the Law Centre that covers this part of the South East - it's based in West London approx. 95 miles away!
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.