Discrimination at a theme park — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discrimination at a theme park

Options
keleann6
keleann6 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I recently took my son to a theme park. My son has cerebral palsy with limited mobility, he has a wheelchair. He was advised he could not go on the rides just by sight of his wheelchair without any information about his ability. The rides did not state he could not go on them as the only advise given was back and neck problems to avoid. I have been to other theme parks where he has only been declined entry due to not being able to evacuate if a ride failed. I would like more information on my rights.

Comments

• forgoodnesssake
    forgoodnesssake Community member Posts: 502 Pioneering
    Options
    We have had awful trouble with Blackpool Pleasure Beach...in fact there was a petition last year or the year before started by a young lad with CP.  We complained and my son even got asked down to supposedly be consulted about what they could do better but it all came to nothing so I would advise anyone with a disability not to go there.  However Southport Pleasureland is a completely different experience; my son actually went there twice last year and they couldn't have been more accommodating.  He did have 2 helpers with him but Pleasuarland staff were also happy to help.
  • ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    Options
    Hi keleann6,

In the first instance and if you haven't already done so, talk to the Customer Service Team at the theme park. You haven't told us which theme park you visited so we haven't been able to look up their customer service details for you or look at their accessibility arrangements so it's difficult to advise.

If after you've contacted Customer Services you're not happy with the response you get, you could seek advice from the Equality Advisory and Support Service who can advise on disability discrimination. https://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com

Let us know how you get on and good luck!

Scope helpline
  • kimbo777
    kimbo777 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    My son who had cp is also in discussion with Blackpool about letting him on the rides , he had been going on the rides for years  then all of a sudden he’s been stopped he’s really frustrated about it  

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Leighton
    Leighton Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    Sadly some theme parks will pull out the ‘refusal on the grounds of health and safety does not constitute discrimination.’
    A lot of parks are more accommodating than others. There is no standard Park-wide policy that applies to disabled guests. What park was it? I’ve travelled to many theme parks with a wheelchair user.

Maybe I can shed some light on the type of rides and how their evacuation procedures could affect a disabled rider.
    The way they went about refusing your son is wrong. 

Brightness