Comment on the content, not the contributor — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Comment on the content, not the contributor

Pippa_Alumni
Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2018 in Community updates
Hi everyone,

Lately on the community we've been really pleased to see people going above and beyond to provide advice and help other users with their issues. However, we recognise that people may have differing thoughts and opinions on what advice is 'right' in some cases, especially when somebody else's suggestions are different to their own views. 

We strive for the community to be a supportive and friendly place for everybody. Calling out or specifically targeting others, either on an individual or a repeated basis, can be upsetting and create a hostile atmosphere for other community users. We recognise that doing so often comes from a well-meaning place, the desire to help others and provide the best advice, however we kindly ask you to be mindful of others and respect each other's suggestions when posting your own guidance. Comments should be on the content, not the contributor. You won't always agree with others or change their minds- in these cases, accept that you don't agree and move on. The person asking the question can make their own decision on what advice they wish to follow.

If you would like to avoid seeing content from a specific user, you can do so by using the 'ignore' function to hide their discussions comments. If you feel that a post goes against our community guidelines or you have concerns about another user, be sure to report the post to the community team using the 'flag' icon. You can also reach the community team by emailing community@scope.org.uk.

Thank you for your understanding, and for helping to keep the community an accommodating and valuable place where people can turn to in times of need! 

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    Well said @Pippa_Scope, I totally agree and thank you for writing this post 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    There’s no room for haters here
  • Tigermoth42
    Tigermoth42 Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    Thank you @Pippa_Scope and brilliantly put ❤️
  • Kafoleg
    Kafoleg Community member Posts: 21 Connected

Hi !!!

I am a new learner....I enjoying reading the both side of any discussing or arguments of any subjects as it is made this site more interesting and it is helping me learning.... I do listen to everyone... I would thanks for those did given their times to discussing or speak their minds .... that's shows people does care.

Happy day to every one

Kafoleg

• Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Welcome @Kafoleg.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Shlbly
    Shlbly Community member Posts: 136 Pioneering
    Well said, let’s just hope people listen to it! ?
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    The best think anybody can do,who don't like a post that they read is either reply with some constructive comments or don't reply at all.
  • debbiedo49
    I would like to point out that the written word as opposed to the spoken word is open to misinterpretation. And, some people who may believe that they are giving constructive advice or critism could be perceived as being the opposite.. We cannot see or hear each other so we can only go by whats written and take it with a pinch of salt. When I see a post and think "grrrrrrr!" I tend to move along and go back to it later if necessary. It doesnt happen a lot but its like buses sometimes. 
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Just to add to Pippa's post - accusing someone of making personal attacks without providing a justification for your accusation is also a form of personal attack. 

If you believe someone is making personal attacks, please report the comment where this personal attack occurs using the flag button.  Serious accusations require serious evidence. If you want to discuss further you can get in touch with us - community@scope.org.uk (please note that this inbox is only monitored during office hours).
  • debbiedo49
    I. dont know why I bother somtimes. Canny do right for doing wrong?
  • susan48
    I. dont know why I bother somtimes. Canny do right for doing wrong?
    I know what your previous post meant. You can tell more from a conversation when your face to face and hear the tone of voice etc etc etc rather than txt as this can be taken out of context.

• susan48
    @Username_removed whilst I agree with your comment about grandparents what I mean is I could write something but the person reading it could take it in one context another in another context. 
    Nothing complicated in that, we are all different and think differently.

• susan48
    That’s me corrected then, bottom of the class ?
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    Thanks for all your reports this morning. I've closed this discussion. 

If you would like to avoid seeing content from a specific user, you can do so by using the 'ignore' function to hide their discussions and comments. 
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness