Why does it take so long to get a decision? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Why does it take so long to get a decision?

jules13
jules13 Community member Posts: 63 Connected
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi I had my PIP assessment yesterday, I think (hope) it went well! I know it takes 6-8 weeks now to hear off DWP. Is the face to face assessment the last process? Would they of already of contacted the doctors / consultants etc or is that why it takes so long to get a decision? 

Comments

• maybebaby36
    maybebaby36 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    They don't contact your doctors, or at least they didn't when I applied. You will more than likely need to appeal the decision (make sure you get help from a benefits advisor) you should get it on the appeal if you don't automatically get it.
  • jules13
    Ooh I thought because I put details of my doctors and consultants for my problems etc they would contact them. Makes you wonder why they ask for them in the form! Thank you. I’m on crutches and cannot walk far at all! Need help dressing etc and the assessor kept saying “oh bless you” and “oh gosh it’s frustrating for you” so I hope it went well. But I bet DWP say no. Is it easy to appeal? 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @jules13! Fingers crossed for the outcome you're hoping for- keep us updated and we'll assist where we can.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jules13

Welcome! Wishing you good luck for your result!

Ami :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Tigermoth42
    Tigermoth42 Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    Hi @Jules13, welcome to this lovely community. Good luck with your claim for PIP. If you don’t get the result you hope for then the first stage is a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR). You can request a copy of the assessors report to see what they wrote, I did this by phoning the dwp when I requested my MR and followed it up with a letter detailing where I felt the report was incorrect and included copies of medical reports and photos. If this doesn’t generate the entitlement you think you’re due then you can appeal. You do this directly to the court and they send papers to the dwp. I’ve just had mine cancelled as the dwp have decided not to defend their original decision and have awarded me back the enhanced mobility. Hopefully it won’t come to that for you, do keep us posted xx
  • jules13
    Thank you all for your comments xx I hope to hear soon xx
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jules13

Good Afternoon & Welcome to our Community/Family.

I do hope that things go ok for you with regards to your “pip”

Please please keep us up to date with things????

We are all here to “help/support”  you!!!!!!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    They very rarely contact anyone for evidence. It does state on the front of the form the additional information to send to support your claim, this includes evidence. They won't take your word for it.

As you've had the assessment, wait until middle of next week and ring DWP to ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report, this will give you some idea of what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with that report. It's also handy if you're refused and need to ask for the MR.

As it's now summer holidays a decision may take longer because lots of people off on their holidays but there's no timescales to decisions anyway. It really depends on backlog in your area.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    It's also handy if you're refused and need to ask for the MR.
    Is that really necessary? Waiting is stressful, to see your report before the DWP actually make a decision must be twice as stressful.
    For my three decisions the DWP included the report and other documents with the decision notice.
  • Tigermoth42
    Tigermoth42 Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    I had to request my report at MR once it became apparent that there were inconsistencies between what I’d said and what the healthcare professional put. I’m not sure it would have helped me to get it earlier, I think I would have been under even more stress, but we’re all different so it might be ok for you. Be prepared to read a load of nonsense! 
  • rayrar80
    rayrar80 Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
    My son had his assessment the end of june, dwp sent a text on the 3rd july to say we would hear in 4 wks, its 4 wks today and still nothing, i requested a copy of his report and he has scored the points he should have so its just a case of waiting on the decision letter now. I would always advise to request a copy of the report, just so u have an idea of what to expect. Good luck with you’re outcome.
  • Yadnad
    rayrar80 said:
    My son had his assessment the end of june, dwp sent a text on the 3rd july to say we would hear in 4 wks, its 4 wks today and still nothing, i requested a copy of his report and he has scored the points he should have so its just a case of waiting on the decision letter now. I would always advise to request a copy of the report, just so u have an idea of what to expect. Good luck with you’re outcome.
    But if it is bad news and the points won't add up to any award, waiting for the decision letter must be really stressful - you can't do anything about the report until the decision is made. Not something that I would want to wait for.
  • jules13
    They very rarely contact anyone for evidence. It does state on the front of the form the additional information to send to support your claim, this includes evidence. They won't take your word for it.

As you've had the assessment, wait until middle of next week and ring DWP to ask them to send you a copy of the assessment report, this will give you some idea of what the decision is likely to be as they mostly go with that report. It's also handy if you're refused and need to ask for the MR.

As it's now summer holidays a decision may take longer because lots of people off on their holidays but there's no timescales to decisions anyway. It really depends on backlog in your area.
    Oh I didn’t realise I could call up and ask for a copy of the report, I sent a lot of evidence, and also a few consultants and doctors details as it says in the booklet,I didn’t expect them to take my word for it, hence why I thought they would contact all medical professionals I have listed.  I was told 6-8weeks so that’s cool. Just a waiting game now. 
  • jules13
    Yadnad said:
    Is that really necessary? Waiting is stressful, to see your report before the DWP actually make a decision must be twice as stressful.
    For my three decisions the DWP included the report and other documents with the decision notice.
    A friend of mine who has got it showed me her award notice and it does state it and really I don’t think you can tell anything just by reading it. My assessor kept saying “oh bless you” and “that’s frustrating for you” still I don’t think that means I’m going to def get it, I will just wait for the letter off them xx
  • poppy123456
    Yadnad said:
    For your info yes it is and a lot of people ask for a copy of the report BEFORE a decision is made. It's useful as i stated because once a decision is made, there's not much time if a claimant needs to take it to the next step!
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Yadnad said:
    rayrar80 said:
    But if it is bad news and the points won't add up to any award, waiting for the decision letter must be really stressful - you can't do anything about the report until the decision is made. Not something that I would want to wait for.
    I disagree! If the points don't add up to an award you can start to write the MR request using the assessment report, which is always much more detailed than the decision letter. Why waste time waiting for the decision, after all most of the time the DM goes with the report. Yes, i know the MR can't be requested until the decision made but at least it will be there waiting to be posted...
  • LittleGizmo86
    LittleGizmo86 Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
    I totally agree with @poppy123456

I requested my report before getting the decision. It helped a lot. I wasnt stressing waiting for the decision aa i knew it was going to be a no... and i also had my MR letter written and ready to post. I also knew what additional evidence i needed to gather to counter claim.. the second the decision was made it went in the post.

Everyone is different but i think it has its advantages. Good luck
  • jules13

I requested my report before getting the decision. It helped a lot. I wasnt stressing waiting for the decision aa i knew it was going to be a no... and i also had my MR letter written and ready to post. I also knew what additional evidence i needed to gather to counter claim.. the second the decision was made it went in the post.

So how long after your face to face assessment did you call up for the report? 
  • Yadnad

For your info yes it is and a lot of people ask for a copy of the report BEFORE a decision is made. It's useful as i stated because once a decision is made, there's not much time if a claimant needs to take it to the next step!
    But you can't know what the decision will actually be and you can't make an application for a MR until you receive the decision and know what you intend to fight for.
  • poppy123456
    jules13 said:

So how long after your face to face assessment did you call up for the report? 
    If you leave it till next week, your report will hopefully be returned to DWP by then. Ring DWP for the report not the assessment providers.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.