Pip change to circumstances — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip change to circumstances

steve0306
steve0306 Community member Posts: 13 Connected
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
in June I phoned up pip (dwp) to tell them about  
change in circumstances .
I have since filled in the form and set it back early  July ,
since then I have been put on a extra tablet 
and am know seeing a psycholical well-being  person 
do I phone up pip or just wait till I see the assessment 
help will be great full 
thanks 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @steve0306 and a warm welcome to the community! I would wait for a new assessment a there is already one being sorted for you- although I would see what others think as well. Please do have a look around the community and let me know if there is anything else that I can do :)
    Scope

• steve0306
    Many thanks for the reply , 
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi. Steve0306, you will have a face to face acessment for change in circumstances, if your conditions have worsened and you meet the current descriptors for PIP to give you enhanced award for daily care and mobility your award will remain the same. Have you done a self test of PIP to see how you would, will fair in the acessment.  And don't forget to request a copy of your acessment a few days afterwards as this will give you a good Indecation of what your award may be. 
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    PIP is about how your conditions affect your daily living and mobility.  Additional medication and a psychological consultation might not make any significant difference.  Wait and see if they do.  Your present disabilities have to have been present for three months and expected to last a further nine months to be considered long term rather than passing.
  • steve0306
    It was my physio who started  it of , he wrote to my doctor saying my walking has got worst and I need help with my panic attacks and depression, I had a stroke 4 years ago ,so I let pip know about my change 
    but since I filed the pip form in am now on sertraline for depression and panic attacks, 
    and I have a medical letter from my 
    psychological officer about my metal health was I didn’t have when I sent the pip form in 
  • steve0306
    Mental health is a big part of pip now Matilda said:
    PIP is about how your conditions affect your daily living and mobility.  Additional medication and a psychological consultation might not make any significant difference.  Wait and see if they do.  Your present disabilities have to have been present for three months and expected to last a further nine months to be considered long term rather than passing.

• Chloe_Scope
    Hi @steve0306, you're right- mental health is a big part of PIP and which award you get. I believe @Matilda was referring to the two components that PIP is assessed in (daily living and mobility). The reason why medication may not make a significant difference is because PIP assessed how the conditions affect your life, rather than the diagnosis or medication you have been given. However, by having more difficulties to walk this may mean you can't walk the distances you previously could or cannot do this safely- this being a reason your PIP score could go up. Also, in terms of panic attacks, this will affect your life as well and therefore would be worth notifying the DWP about.
    Scope

• steve0306
    My last review I got hi allowance for the living due to my spasticity on myleft arm 
    and low for the mobility I could walk 25 m then 
    now my physio said in he’s report 5 save metres with a aid 
    plus he mention severe panic attacks of the thought of going outside ,
    thats when the doctor phone me up to but me on sertraline tablets for anxiety and  referred me to a psychological central 
  • Chloe_Scope
    That makes sense @steve0306, like I said, it is about the impact caused by conditions. I wish you the very best of luck with your claim and please do keep us updated!
    Scope

• steve0306
    Thanks again my pip form was returned July 12th
    so hope I will hear soon about my assessment 
    i have my  psychology report from my meetings  now , which I will show at my assessment I didn’t have that when I return the form 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    steve0306 said:
    It was my physio who started  it of , he wrote to my doctor saying my walking has got worst and I need help with my panic attacks and depression, I had a stroke 4 years ago ,so I let pip know about my change 
    but since I filed the pip form in am now on sertraline for depression and panic attacks, 
    and I have a medical letter from my 
    psychological officer about my metal health was I didn’t have when I sent the pip form in 
    The purpose of putting you on Sertraline is to reduce the impact of depression. If the medication is now working then the impact will have become less intrusive which then would possibly reduce the points being awarded. 

I have been on that medication for a number of years and must say that it actually makes very little difference to my depressive moods. I am on 150mg a day.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @steve0306, you're right- mental health is a big part of PIP and which award you get. 

Not to sure that I agree with you. It may well be the case put out by the DWP but the reality is that most mental health issues and the impact it causes is one of the hardest to prove.

In ATOS camp they have a habit of destroying the credibility of the claimant's claims by coming up with their version of a Mental Health Assessment. Unfortunately many like myself scored 0 for mental health in PIP because I didn't rock in the chair, had good eye contact etc etc - in fact 14 cut and paste reasons why I am not suffering from a mental health condition.

Given that a diagnosis of the condition is largely a self assessment test carried out by the patient/claimant themselves it is no wonder that the DWP and the assessors are sceptical when such a condition is claimed to exist.

In my case I didn't want to argue with them - the have their opinion and I have mine.  

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.