PIP decisions and mandatory reconsiderations — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP decisions and mandatory reconsiderations

gilliansidney557
gilliansidney557 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
I have asked DWP for a MR on my pip decision because they did not give the right points score, has anyone else suffered the same issues

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    1,000's have been there too.
  • gilliansidney557
    Yes I have been reading them, I am hoping they change it to enhance rate as I will lose my mobility car which would be devestating to me.
  • Yadnad
    Yes I have been reading them, I am hoping they change it to enhance rate as I will lose my mobility car which would be devestating to me.
    methinks that 1,000's also had the same hope and aspirations.
    I started off with DLA - High Mobility & Care. and had a Motability car.
    That was handed back after I failed the transfer to PIP. Then won the reconsideration and got another car. Then the second re-assessment came about which also saw that car returned. I won on reconsideration and got another car. The third re-assessment also saw the car go back again and at that point I gave up.
    All in all in over the past 5 years I have had three Motability cars taken off me. Now I get friends/family to run us about plus use the bus sometimes. 
  • gilliansidney557
    If I was you I would not give up as this is given in to the DWP and this goverment, why should you give in to them. DON’T quit.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Only 20% of MR decisions change, so expect to have to take it to Tribunal. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • gilliansidney557
    Yes thank you poppy, I hope it goes ok keep my fingers crossed
  • gilliansidney557
    I have got my pip award back after the mandatory reconsideration, but sadly they did not change the decision, motability car went back last thursday(9/8/18), I recieved the transition payment today monday 13/8/18, I am gutted it was a lifeline to me.
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Will you take it to appeal?
  • gilliansidney557
    No I have decided not too, as the stress you go through would be too much for me to cope with, my oldest son lends me his car when I need it.
  • Yadnad
    I have got my pip award back after the mandatory reconsideration, but sadly they did not change the decision, motability car went back last thursday(9/8/18), I recieved the transition payment today monday 13/8/18, I am gutted it was a lifeline to me.
    ...and to many others including myself.
  • Yadnad
    No I have decided not too, as the stress you go through would be too much for me to cope with, my oldest son lends me his car when I need it.

I don't blame you
  • gilliansidney557
    Yes so many have lost their cars, this goverment is hell bent on punishing the sick and disabled.
  • Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    Yes so many have lost their cars, this goverment is hell bent on punishing the sick and disabled.
    To be honest I doubt very much that the DWP see it that way.
    It isn't personal. the government want to cut down the amount of money that they are paying out. In this case it just happens to be the disabled and sick.

If you do want to blame anybody then I would suggest that you start with the banks with their risky lending attitude over the years to when the crash happened.
    Not forgetting the Labour party that were keen to spend more than what they were getting in taxes etc.
  • gilliansidney557
    Yes it seems to stem from years ago but the sick and disabled who are suffering the most and I am a labour supporter and have been for years. This need to change.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @gilliansidney557

Despite the stress, It's usually worth appealing as 71% succeed.  Tribunal increased my award from standard to enhanced both components.  Quite a lot more money.
  • april123
    april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    @gilliansidney557 I was in the same position but didn't take the money for returning car and appealed I was scared and thought I won't get appeal through before car due back in Oct. But the DWP decided to change thier mind gave me enhanced back and stopped appeal.  Now I'm in process of sorting out car refund etc with mobility took a big risk. But miracles can happen.

• april123
    april123 Community member Posts: 137 Pioneering
    You get £1.000 to return mobility car towards another car first date, or 1/4  ammount iIthink if  you return on second if your appealing. That would give you chance to remain on mobility if appeal successful.
  • Yadnad
    Matilda said:
    @gilliansidney557

Despite the stress, It's usually worth appealing as 71% succeed.  Tribunal increased my award from standard to enhanced both components.  Quite a lot more money.
    It's 71% only if you are legally represented.
    If you go it alone the success rate falls to below 50%
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn’t have legal representation and won my appeal so appealing if you cannot get help is still worth it, in my opinion 
  • Yadnad
    edited August 2018
    susan48 said:
    I didn’t have legal representation and won my appeal so appealing if you cannot get help is still worth it, in my opinion 
    Of course it is if you have the strength both mentally and physically to cope with it. I was only pointing out that you have at least a further 22% chance of success if you are represented.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.