How many people with fibromyaliga have got accepted for pip? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How many people with fibromyaliga have got accepted for pip?

mariamatthews90
mariamatthews90 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Maria matthews 

How many people with fibromyaliga have got accepted for pip? 2 votes

to scared to apply
0%
yes after appealing
0%
yes first time
50%
livonia 1 vote
got declined
50%
Jurph 1 vote

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it totally depends on how your conditions affect you daily and you certainly can't compare 2 people. We're all affected differently by these conditions and what might affect one person, might affect another person totally differently. Lots of people claim PIP successfully because of how they're affected daily from fibromyalgia. Evidence will be needed to support a claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it totally depends on how your conditions affect you daily and you certainly can't compare 2 people. We're all affected differently by these conditions and what might affect one person, might affect another person totally differently. Lots of people claim PIP successfully because of how they're affected daily from fibromyalgia. Evidence will be needed to support a claim.
    spot on Poppy. It does not matter what your condition is, it's the impact it has on your life when matched to the descriptors.

You could have someone with a serious illness or disability say heart failure, or Parkinsons or even Emphysema but if the impact on their lives does not feature with the descriptors they will not get an award. Yet someone with Depression who can match the impact with the PIP descriptors  will get an award.
  • poppy123456
    Hard to disagree with @poppy123456 or @Yadnad. I wonder if polls like this really hide an anxiety about struggling with a condition a lot of people don’t understand and which divides the medical profession and then being anxious about a benefits rejection on top of that?
    Thanks! I have to admit, at first i didn't like you BUT the more i read your comments, the more i'm liking. You really do talk perfect sense and another thing i have to admit.... i've learnt an awful lot from you in the past few weeks. Thanks for all the advice you give to everyone here.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    @Username_removed you're welcome! I have no problems admitting when i'm wrong about something or someone.

As i'm currently in the middle of filling out my own ESA50 renewal and in about 5 weeks my daughters PIP renewal form will be dropping through the letter box, as i'm her appointee it's down to me to sort that out.  You're advice has been invaluable! :) Thanks, once again!
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I got pip at tribunal. Although I have fibro at the time it was undiagnosed chronic pain. At tribunal I told them it was fibro and how it affected me day to day. They didn’t seem that interested to be honest. I got the points for mobility around my mental health mainly and I’m not sure if fibro influenced it. I was disappointed to not get points for daily living as fibro really affects me in this way. As I got a short award I accepted this decision and would hope to provide more evidence next time around. They asked a lot of questions about other help I may be getting to help me with fibro from other agencies and any aids I may have which I do not get. I felt this went against me.
    I couldn’t vote as this option wasn’t available perhaps don’t know? 
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    Good luck with your application. Whilst I understand that PIP focuses on the effects of your condition, not the condition itself, I totally understand why people look to speak to others with a similar diagnosis. It’s not something I’m affected by, but I do wonder what the outcomes tend to be like for people who are affected by invisible illnesses like CFS, chronic pain with no associated disease/diagnosis and Fibromyalgia.
    I live with chronic pain and have recently been awarded pip so don’t be disheartened. 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Pin said:
    Good luck with your application. Whilst I understand that PIP focuses on the effects of your condition, not the condition itself, I totally understand why people look to speak to others with a similar diagnosis. It’s not something I’m affected by, but I do wonder what the outcomes tend to be like for people who are affected by invisible illnesses like CFS, chronic pain with no associated disease/diagnosis and Fibromyalgia.
    I live with chronic pain and have recently been awarded pip so don’t be disheartened. 
    The outcomes for individuals who suffer from the same disease range from no award right through the scale up to Enhanced Care & Mobility.

I too live with chronic pain and am under the care of the pain clinic. Yet it serves no purpose unless you can prove that a descriptor fits the impact that the pain causes. I could not find any descriptor that fitted
    I was offered 0 points!
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    I know yadnad, I’ve read your story many times.

• mariamatthews90
    mariamatthews90 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    HEy all thanx for your reply’s and informations so helpful havnt been able to log on since I posted this but managed to sort it and will read through all! Totally understand what ppl are saying from the bits I have read and appreciate the comments :) xx
    Maria matthews 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.