Husband has PIP assessment in a couple of weeks. Will I be allowed in the assessment with him? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Husband has PIP assessment in a couple of weeks. Will I be allowed in the assessment with him?

anneellena
anneellena Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited August 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My husband had a stroke almost 7years ago and has been getting DLA payments  Never had a face to face assessment before and recently completed his PIP application. Got appointment for his assessment in a couple of weeks .I have to complete all forms as he can no longer read or write .He also has memory problems, and speech  and language difficulties. Will I be allowed in the assessment with him to help him understand and answer questions for him ?  If so can I take a copy of the form in with me ? 
Thanks for any advice /help

Comments

• Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @anneellena,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board.

You will be able to attend the PIP assessment with your husband as moral support, but I'm afraid you can't talk for him when he is being asked questions. In terms of taking the form with you, do take in a copy of your application and any supporting evidence which may help you.

We have lots of information about PIP - along with an FAQ section - on our website, which you may also find helpful.

Best of luck to your husband for his assessment. Do let us know how it goes!
    Liam
  • Pin
    Pin Community member Posts: 139 Pioneering
    My mum came with me and was allowed to add to the questions asked. I think it’s tribunals that only certain people can speak during.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @anneellena   Pleased to meet you welcome.

Thank you for sharing.  Understand the difficulties and problems with the assessment. With every PIP assessment you receive or should have received a booklet.

In it describes what you can do or need to do, to prepare for the assessment.

You are allowed to have support and I have the booklet. It says you allowed to have a companion or family member.  Support worker is another option. To answer any questions he is asked.   He will need to answer some questions about his health.  If he can. 

I myself have memory problems and am partial deafness and had to answer the questions.  Have some issues with  communication.

Had my friend prompting me to the assessor. 

I understand how hard and difficult this is. I would contact the Customer Service Centre.  The people doing the assessment.  Be a number on the assessment letter you have received.  To say any problems if that helps.

I wish you all the best for a successful outcome. We are here to help, advise and support.

Please take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @anneellena

You need to ask for a reasonable adjustments from the HPC at the very start of the assessment, to speak and assist on behalf of your husband.

Are you an Appointee for your husband, with the DWP? If yes, then again you will be able to speak and assist your husband, throughout the assessment.

At my assessment my wife spoke and assisted me.

Let us know if you need any further assistance.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    My husband had a stroke almost 7years ago and has been getting DLA payments  Never had a face to face assessment before and recently completed his PIP application. Got appointment for his assessment in a couple of weeks .I have to complete all forms as he can no longer read or write .He also has memory problems, and speech  and language difficulties. Will I be allowed in the assessment with him to help him understand and answer questions for him ?  If so can I take a copy of the form in with me ? 
    Thanks for any advice /help

As has been said already the claimant can take someone in with them but only for support.
    It is not a requirement that someone does go with the claimant. the claimant can go in on their own.
    As for answering questions put to the claimant then that depends on the assessor. Some will ask that the claimant only talks, whilst some will actively involve everyone present so as to get better understanding. 
    Some assessors or their staff can and do suggest that the claimant goes in alone so as to avoid anybody else adding to the answers. This happened to me where my wife was told that she need not be with me.

It is all down to the assessor he has on the day - they all have their own ideas on how the assessment will be carried out.

Finally if someone is the official appointee of the claimant and has been approved by the DWP then they can and generally do answer the questions for and on behalf of the claimant.
  • anneellena
    Thank you for your help. All my husband's correspondence comes in my name and says I am responsible for supply all information so I presume I'm an appointee. I think I had to sign something when I filled his first claim form in .
  • Yadnad
    Thank you for your help. All my husband's correspondence comes in my name and says I am responsible for supply all information so I presume I'm an appointee. I think I had to sign something when I filled his first claim form in .
    As long as it was done officially through the DWP then yes you would be his appointee
  • atlas46
    Hi @anneellena

It does look like you are the Appointee for your husband and thus you will be entitled to speak on his behalf.  But you should call the PIP helpline to ensure they have got this formally recorded, on your behalf.

Also, have you got or have applied for Power of Attorney, or Duputy on behalf of your husband?

As far as Yadnad, "He knows not what he says".
  • Yadnad
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @anneellena
    And the purpose of that comment is?
  • anneellena
    Am just in process of completing power of attorney application. All our accounts and assets are in joint names with either to sign so there is no problem at the moment
  • atlas46
    Put any evidence you have to HCP at assessment, you are on a winner.

How old was your husband, when he he had stroke?  This is inmport.
  • Yadnad
    atlas46 said:
    Put any evidence you have to HCP at assessment, you are on a winner.
    It's highly unlikely that the assessor will accept it never mind read it.
    You are better advised that as soon as you have the evidence you should submit it to the DWP.
  • atlas46
    Yadnad said:
    atlas46 said:
    Hi @anneellena
    And the purpose of that comment is?

• anneellena
    He was 50 when he had the stroke and was in hospital for 3monthsc
  • atlas46
    Tattoos is important, will speak tomorrow.
  • Yadnad
    atlas46 said:
    Tattoos is important, will speak tomorrow.
    ?????????????????????
  • anneellena
    Thank you. The only worry I have is that he will just answer yes to all the questions when he doesn't understand what's being asked. I have to explain most things to him. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    As you signed the form and the DWP letters are addressed to you this does sound like you're his appointee. Being his appointee means you'll be able to speak on his behalf, I did exactly this during my daughters PIP assessment. The only thing she had to answer at the end was 2 questions....spell a certain word backwards, and add 2 numbers together. Make sure you give as much information as possible during the assessment. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • anneellena
    Thank you. My husband cannot read or spell any words. Does know alphabet but doesn't recognise any letters. Has trouble with sight test which has to be adapted for him .He can count but not sure about adding 
  • anneellena
    How long did it take to get a decision after attending assessment .

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.