Confusing ESA letter — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Confusing ESA letter

Macky47
Macky47 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
Hi, received letter ESA3 Will (IBR). The letter says it wants to look at my claim again from 27/7/2013. It states that I could be entitled to extra payments/premium's. I am receiving contribution related ESA but says I could be entitled to income related ESA. The letter also states DWP will ring me within next two weeks. Am really confused. Anyone give me any advice please. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Macky47
    Welcome to the community! Unfortunately I don't know how to advise you however another member of the community may know and will be in contact with you soon. Please don't hesitate to ask any further questions :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Macky47 and a warm welcome to the community! I will move this conversation into the ESA section in the hope of getting more engagement for you. Please do let me know if there is anything else that I can do!
    Scope

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hello Macky47

When the DWP moved people from incapacity benefit or severe disablement allowance to ESA, they were supposed to consider, in every case, whether that person might be entitled to income-related as well as contributory ESA.

They didn't do this and now a series of court actions has high-lighted this and forced them, after some delay, to agree that full arrears, must be paid from the date where people started to lose out financially. This is usually the date when they were transferred from IB or SDA onto ESA.

This is the meaning of the letter you have received. The DWP are writing to about 70,000 people along these line.

Complete the form and send it back - if you were entitled to income-related benefit on the day you "moved across", then you should get some arrears money from this. 

I hope so! Good luck.

Gill _Scope
  • Macky47
    Hi, Gill, I actually received phone call from DWP yesterday, & completed form over the phone, the lady from DWP said this would save time. So is this normal, & in your opinion would you consider it to seem positive. She also said if I was eligible I would be moved across from cbesa to income based ESA. 
  • clarabelle
    clarabelle Community member Posts: 71 Courageous
    You will be entitled to backdated income related diability premiums for the periods in question. It's quite a lot of money ( you should have been receiving  in the region of £185 a week in total, so you have a nice lump sum due to you.
    Make sure you check the actual disability premiums for the years in question. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    This is great news Macky47, and I have heard of the form being done over the phone. I'm sure that this is alright. Fingers crossed!

Gill_Scope
  • Macky47
    Hi Clarabelle, thanks for that, I currently only receive £112 per week contribution based ESA. If I do get moved over to income based ESA, will they automatically add disability premium to my ESA. 
  • Macky47
  • Macky47
    Hi Clarabelle, my claim goes back to July 2013. How long does the whole process take, you have any idea.
  • clarabelle
    I think they are currently stalking on making back payments further back than the judgement date ( 21/10/14) - that may be challenged at some point. 
    Once entitlement has been established they should pay you within 12 weeks, but I think from what I've seen on here it's faster. 
    If you have a breakdown of your £112, then compare that to the actual  entitlement you should be able to work out roughly what you will get.  Ask the dwp for a full breakdown as well. 
  • clarabelle
    I think you are due about £80 a week - which is approximately the 2 disability premiums -  so about £16000
  • Macky47
    Clarabelle, I will check that, I've struggled for so many yrs, someimess going without food & heating, I think it's absolutely disgusting what DWP have put ppl through.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @Macky47i do hope this is fixed ASAP for you and everyone else.
    If infact you do get a massive lump sum then you relax and enjoy the money without worrying. Good luck 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,358 Disability Gamechanger
    I think you are due about £80 a week - which is approximately the 2 disability premiums -  so about £16000
    That amount will totally depend on the circumstances. The support Group Income related is an extra £16.40 per week, which is the enhanced disability premium. The severe disability premium has other criteria and not everyone qualifies for this one. To qualify for the SDP of £64.30 extra per week you need a DLA mid/high rate care award or PIP daily living. No one must be claiming carers allowance for looking after you and you must live alone or be classed as living alone to qualify. If you don't qualify for the SDP then Income related ESA is £16.30 extra and gives a total of £127.15 per week ESA for single person. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • poppy123456
    A rule has just recently been announced that they are backdating to 2011 and not 2014, if you qualified back then. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Macky47
    Am currently in cbesa support group, I live alone, also currently receive DLA mobility high rate, however I had f2f for pip 16 August so waiting for there decision. 
  • poppy123456
    If no one receives carers allowance for looking after you, regardless of the PIP decision then once your Income Related top has been assessed then you should apply for SDP for it to be at least back dated to the time you did qualify. 
  • Macky47
    Hi poppy, no-one receives carers allowance for looking after me, so pip decision won't effect the possible backdated income related ESA. If awarded income related ESA, in your opinion I should apply for SDP. 
  • Luv44
    Luv44 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Hi Macky47... I would just like to reassure you regarding the phone call esa3 form filling.. I had a phone call earlier this year from the DWP asking me if I would prefer to fill in this form over the phone, or they could send it by post which in my eyes would’ve meant waiting and then having to post it back if it ever arrived at all.. He said it would take roughly 20 mins to complete so I opted to do it.. he was surprisingly nice and said a lot of the questions will prob not apply to me ..  
    it was straight forward and there is no need to worry at all.. At the end he said the information will go to the process dept and should take 12 wks before payments will reach my bank acc.. it took 4 wks.. so I wish you good luck 
  • poppy123456
    If you're not awarded daily living PIP then SDP won't be payable from when your DLA ends, but you'll be able to claim it for when you were receiving the DLA, backdated to when you qualified. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.