Can you get PIP and housing benefits? — Scope | Disability forum

Can you get PIP and housing benefits?

nykkie1 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Good evening all
im getting pip and have just moved over to universal credit
i was told my housing benefit will continue to be paid
yet I receive a letter stating it has been ended.
am I able to claim housing benefit as I get pip?
im really confused as one person is telling me one thing and another total different 
please can someone help me understand what's going on!
many thanks in advance


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,390 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @nykkie1   Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing. I do not know the answer to your question. There will be some one from our community or team be able to advise.

    Have you spoken to CAB for guidance and advice. Benefits are complex and confusing. They may be able to advise on your situation.

    Something to consider.

    We are a supportive community. Care and share and friendly.

    Hope that helps.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,738 Disability Gamechanger

    PIP isn't means tested and will depend on circumstances. As you were previously receiving housing benefit and move to Universal credit then your housing benefit is paid as part of UC in what's called a housing element. To claim this with your UC then DWP will need your tenancy agreement.

    What were you claiming before UC and what was your reasons for claiming it? Possibly a house move to a new local council maybe?
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 7,807 Disability Gamechanger
    You can only get UC and HB in specified accommodation such as temporary accommodation. Outside of that you get your rent included as a housing element in UC but you just get all of it as one payment of UC per month. It’s up to you to pay your landlord from your UC. It may be limited to local housing allowance levels or reduced for any number of reasons such as non-dependant deductions.

    If your UC calculation on your journal does not show a housing element or shows a figure well below your actual rent you should query this but it’s often down to having what’s called an “untidy tenancy”. This is where the rent you say you pay and that listed on your tenancy are different and DWP use that as an excuse to pay you a random figure for your housing element until the two are reconciled.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.