Emotional support assistance dogs — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Emotional support assistance dogs

flute
flute Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited September 2018 in Research and opportunities
Did you know that you can not have an assistance dog/ service dog for emotional support in the UK.   In the US you can have a dog to help with depression, Anxiety etc.  My daughter who suffers severely with anxiety and depression has started a petition.  I would really appreciate if you could sign so that she could get enough signatures to go to parliament.    

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/228676

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @flute, and a warm welcome to the community! 

Wishing you all the best with your daughter's petition: I've moved this post into our 'events, research and opportunities' category where more of our members will be able to see it.
  • flute
    Thank you so much.  I do have another question and do not know where to post. My daughter who is 17 and ASD would benefit from a support dog but we have not been able to find anywhere that helps for children of her age.  It would help her so much with her anxiety and being able to do normal things.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @flute
    I have signed the petition, I wish you and your daughter all the best! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @flute, Dogs For Good specifically mention assisting autistic adults and children on their website, so they definitely seem like they're worth getting in touch with. You can express your interest in their services on this contact page. Good luck!
  • flute
    Ami2301 and Pippa_scope thank you so much
  • flute
    thank you so much
  • goldenollie
    goldenollie Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I have a phychological assistance dog for PTSD he is provided by veterans with dogs and are for veterans with a PTSD diagnosis,I believe the emotional support animals that they have in America are not trained specifically to do tasks and do not have acces rights like as assistance dogs, it is still early days in the uk for PAT dogs. 
    Dogs for good are definitely the ones to contact in the UK, if you go on assistance dogs uk you will see a list of all the charities and for what purpose they provide the dogs for. 
    i will definitely sign your petition, and I hope more animals are provided in the uk soon, my dog is such a big help to me, but it was a long process to be accepted.

• flute
    Thank you.  Unfortunately Dogs for Good only help children with Autism from age 3 to 10.  They help also children or adults  with physical disabilities. If you know of any others I would appreciate it.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.