Pip assesment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip assesment

Fireantguy22
Fireantguy22 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
Just had my pip assessment at 9am and my wife was with me and the assesor asked how many pets I have?I replied 3 dogs and a cat she typed it in computer but never even asked if I feed them?i don't my wife does daily but she did ask if walk dog,I says one of them on a night with my wife.none of this means I don't have mental health problems depression ocd because I can walk my dog.i know it's to see if get out and about and socialize or whatever but I'm still I'll,it doesn't disappear when I pop out with the dog with my wife

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    Hi @Fireantguy22
    @MEMPHIS23 asked a simillar question about pets and PIP assessments and there were some great reponses you might like to read through.

@poppy123456 said:

During a face 2 face assessment they do ask some claimants about pets and it can sometimes be a trick question. Basically, they could say that because you have a pet then this must mean that you can do the things you say you can't. For example, if a person had a dog and they state they can only walk a certain distance, they could turn around and say that you have a dog, which needs walking therefore you can't possibly have problems walking. This doesn't mean that your review won't be successful though, far from it.

@Matilda said:

I was asked about pets.  Looking after pets especially dogs can indicate a high level of energy.

@t@Topkitten said:

There are many ways in which having a pet and looking after it could show what you can and cannot do. Feeding them is obvious but taking a dog for a walk, clearing up any mess cats or dogs make indoors or, in some cases, outdoors, another is your ability to get to the vets and dealing with the waiting room and the vet staff. I suspect this has been included to catch out those that really shouldn't receive the benefit. Personally I would love to have a pet for company but have had to accept for a long time that I could never look after it properly because I simply cannot make certain movements that would be necessary if I had one.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    I think you've not had the time to explain how you can or not look after your pets?

When you explained you have them and said Yes? you then should have told and explain to them in full why if you can or can't look after them, and I really believe this now may go against you. I wish you luck.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Having a pet, in a relationship doesn’t mean you have to or do all the activities related to looking after the pet. My wife feeds our dog changes the water gets her treats ect but as for dog walking I do it not that I am able to walk but I use a mobility scooter and have acess to open spaces and good track ways off road if you like where Maggie can run around. Yes I can drive to where I need to, to clean up after her nearly falling over but I do my best and duty unlike many other able bodied people to busy messing with their phones oblivious to what their dog is doing or fouling. I travel over three trips a day between 5 to 7 miles a day, am I mobile on a scooter yes self propelled no.
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    As previously stated it is 'trick' question. However, if you suffer from depression. some psychiatrist advocate having a dog or cat. They can be a distraction from dwelling on a depressive situation. In the same way as some hospitals allow dogs onto wards. They are what's known as recuperative pets. Hold that thought when you ask for an MR, and possibly an appeal.

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to!
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I think you've not had the time to explain how you can or not look after your pets?

When you explained you have them and said Yes? you then should have told and explain to them in full why if you can or can't look after them, and I really believe this now may go against you. I wish you luck.
    This is extremely common, the assessor does not really want you to explain your first answer away so will move on to the next topic even if you are still attempting to give your explanation. The claimant has admitted that there are pets in the household - the upshot of that is that the claimant manages to look after the animal's welfare alone.
    Best answer which I don't suggest that you do as it is not truthful it is to play the assessor at their own game - never admit to having a pet in the home, never admit to driving a car.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    This is where filling in the forms correctly with as much information about how your conditions affect you helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
    edited October 2018
    Why my dear @Yadnad I know how this works and what their game is but as I've explained the member did unfortunately did not know this, and did not get the time to explain about the pets?

Thus being a problem to a possible failed claim because he was simply not able to explain the full situation about his pets.

Now going on the advice in not telling them about pets and driving cars, that in itself is not to practical to advise the claiment not to this on an open forum?

I would leave that one out as the claiment would be placed to make that decision if they decide not to declare those about pets and driving etc, also remember failing to tell this could and be an open door if your were reported for say fraud etc I believe you get where this is going.

⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• Fireantguy22
    I think it is a very bad sytem with many flaws.do you have pets yes,how many 3 dogs cat.do you walk dog,yes with my wife.did not ask who feeds my pets,just seems like it's assumed I do also.
  • poppy123456
    I think it is a very bad sytem with many flaws.do you have pets yes,how many 3 dogs cat.do you walk dog,yes with my wife.did not ask who feeds my pets,just seems like it's assumed I do also.
    It's a trick question that they often ask, if you just say "yes" to walking the dog then it may go against you.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Fireantguy22
    This is where filling in the forms correctly with as much information about how your conditions affect you helps.
    Still wouldn't think I would have to put in form that I have pets and DON'T feed them as my wife sees to all there needs.
  • poppy123456
    If you answered "yes" to walking your dog then it could go against you.
  • Fireantguy22
    I've been on the sick since the year 2000 with depression severe ocd and anxiety,I have been to many interviews over the years I have had congnitph therapy on one to one and group therapy,I have seen a professor for a 3 hour interview which was recorded for students many years ago I have been in a mental hospital for 3 month and had my brain zapped 7 or 8 times 
    ,I have attempted suicide twice (a cry for help,also many years ago)I have tried day centres and nurse home visits,I am on medication have been all these years,I have medical evidence from doctors phychtrists a behaviour therapist and my ocd is very very bad,bit they ask if I have pets?
  • topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    Yes I do wonder about the people who any one has to Go and see , they don't know what it is like to have what any one who walks in that room has to put up with , there is no point in worrying over it you have done your best know just got to wait x
    I'm sorry to hear this @Fireantguy22 I really feel for you as I've also been and are still in this bad situation. One thing I must ask did you submit all your evidence and explain how it all affect you.

Did your Health professionals explained in their letters on how this all affects you and tells them of your functional situation.

Sounds like you suffer bad like I do. My advice if it all goes wrong try and get one of your team to explain to the DWP.

Its so wrong and a shame you diden't get a chance to explain better about your pets.

How long was you in the assessment for.
    ⬇️

edited October 2018
    @Fireantguy22 also to add it might be worth you getting a copy of your assessment before you get a decision from the DWP.

If you leave it a few days and then phone the PIP helpline and ask for the form called PA4 you are allowed this and it will not cause any issues for you.

What the PA4 form is. Its a report that was done of your assessment today and will give you an idea where it might or might not go wrong, once you have this it will give you an idea what you've scored or not scored on and it will give you chance to hopefully get hold of a decision maker or get one of you Health professionals to do it for you at least it's a chance.
    ⬇️

• Fireantguy22
    Hi thanks for your kind message,I was only on 25 mins supposed to be a hour and I'd already done all the information on the form about my medical background and wgo to contact and wrote about all my problems.
    Government_needs_reform said:
    I'm sorry to hear this @Fireantguy22 I really feel for you as I've also been and are still in this bad situation. One thing I must ask did you submit all your evidence and explain how it all affect you.

Did your Health professionals explained in their letters on how this all affects you and tells them of your functional situation.

Sounds like you suffer bad like I do. My advice if it all goes wrong try and get one of your team to explain to the DWP.

Its so wrong and a shame you diden't get a chance to explain better about your pets.

How long was you in the assessment for.

• Fireantguy22
    Thanks i will ask my wife to look it to this as in form it said i had to wait dor a desicion before could get a copy of the face to face.
    overnment_needs_reform said:
    @Fireantguy22 also to add it might be worth you getting a copy of your assessment before you get a decision from the DWP.

If you leave it a few days and then phone the PIP helpline and ask for the form called PA4 you are allowed this and it will not cause any issues for you.

What the PA4 form is. Its a report that was done of your assessment today and will give you an idea where it might or might not go wrong, once you have this it will give you an idea what you've scored or not scored on and it will give you chance to hopefully get hold of a decision maker or get one of you Health professionals to do it for you at least it's a chance.

edited October 2018
    @Fireantguy22 your welcome...

No you don't need the decision from the DWP first, unless you live in Northen Ireland, you can ask for this form about a week after the assessment and don't let them fob you off.

25 minutes doesent seem long maybe a good sign.
    Please let us know how you get on buddy and good luck??
    ⬇️

• Yadnad
    Now going on the advice in not telling them about pets and driving cars, that in itself is not to practical to advise the claiment not to this on an open forum?

I would leave that one out as the claiment would be placed to make that decision if they decide not to declare those about pets and driving etc, also remember failing to tell this could and be an open door if your were reported for say fraud etc I believe you get where this is going.

Thanks, I did say that it would not be a good idea to go down that route as it is not truthful.
    But in fighting fire with fire it would possibly make others consider otherwise. 

• Yadnad
    Agree entirely but I don't seem to remember any question or suggestion on the PIP2 that could possibly relate to what the claimant does or doesn't do with a pet.

The question is at first glance far too removed from the PIP2 system, descriptors or points. Yet it is a clever way of establishing the truth in an indirect way of examining abilities/disabilities - looking for contradictions.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.