Moving home please help decision needed tomorrow — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving home please help decision needed tomorrow

aylasnan
aylasnan Community member Posts: 33 Connected
Does anyone know what is currently happening to new UC claims rgarding loss of severe disability premium? Wiil I lose it if I move to full UC area. I need to make a decision on a move by tomorrow morning! 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,357 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

You will lose the SDP if you change to UC as no changes have been put into place since DWP made the announcement in June. Further announcements are expected sometime in the Autumn, but when is anyones guess.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    That's one reason I had to turn down a move to a new area with live UC because of loosing my SDP and other benefits.

So I now have to suffer more because of all this. This is what they do to you as if one dosent have enough problems to deal with, good luck on whatever you decide it's not an easy choice to make.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• aylasnan
    Thankyou @Chatterbox oh no what other benefits? I am on ESA support group. 
    @aylasnan

The income guaranteed element of £16.40 if I remember that I'm sure gets taken away too. I was in a right state when I was told regarding the SDP, If I was you I would get further advice regarding it.

⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• poppy123456
    No premiums are paid on UC but UC LCWRA (ESA Support Group equivalent) pays more per month than ESA Support Group IF you don't claim the SDP, which of course you do, so you'll be £180 approx per month worse off.

Also when a change of circumstances prompts a move to UC DWP are supposed to honour your Support Group award and place you into the relevant group for UC, however this isn't always the case and more often than not this doesn't happen. This means that you maybe asked to look for work and provide GP fit/sick notes all over again. I've heard it happen so many times. Claiming UC with a fit note doesn't mean you're excused completely from looking for work, it depends on your Job coach and their discretion. A lot of people are forced to look for work regardless of sending in the fit notes.

It's a minefield and to be honest, this is the very reason why i haven't moved to a different local council because i also claim SDP.

If you move house and stay with the same local council then this doesn't prompt a move to UC and you'll be able to stay on ESA and claim housing benefit for your new property.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    So with the advice above you will be left per week with £110.75. As being in the Support group. So yes in affect it's a lot of hassle more than I first thought going on the post above.

O'dear they certainly f*ck you all ways.

⬇️

• poppy123456
    Indeed, so true. If you can avoid the move to UC then that's the best advice anyone can give. Some are better off on UC, while others will be worse off, at least for now anyway.
  • aylasnan
    Thanks everyone. So when the managed migration starts in June 2019 will our transfer over be straight forward then? ie should we keep our SDP and go straight into UC support group etc?
    edited October 2018
    UC Managed migration is suppose to start from July 2019, no final details of how this process will work yet? Although a draft is due in the next few week how this will start. I do know that you will recieve a letter to start the transfer and is all done online.. Many will struggle with this process.

Yes we will keep out SDP etc as long as No change of circumstances is made that otherwise could affect it.

Im afraid there is No other news yet on how this will be managed and could take years before you will be migrated over to UC.

But I'm really hoping this will never happen but I'm sure pigs might fly as Government are hell bent on screwing us...
    ⬇️

• aylasnan
    Was told I could apply for housing benefit in the UC area and stay on ESA keeping my SDP. I had to refuse the bungalow of my dreams because of conflicting info from ESA and UC. It was rhe welfare officer at the housing association that told me the above. He was more clued up than anyone else and said he heard from housing benefit manager that this was the case. After all Ive been through stress wise I couldnt take the risk. Only had today to decide and needed to check it further. 
  • poppy123456
    Is the area you're thinking of moving to a different local council to the one you currently live in? or is it the same local council?
  • aylasnan
    Different. Full UC. Im not moving now. Couldnt handle the confusion. Gutted.
  • medwaymum
    medwaymum Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    My own personal opinion is I would stay where you are for now and if you need to move wait till everything has settled down and UC is everywhere then you have  better informed information on making such a big descision, good luck.
  • poppy123456
    aylasnan said:
    Different. Full UC. Im not moving now. Couldnt handle the confusion. Gutted.
    Then you would indeed need to have claimed UC and not housing benefit, this would have meant you would have lost your SDP. I'm sorry to hear you've not lost your new home :/
  • aylasnan
    Anyone have insight on what the welfare officer said? He really knew his business and insisted along with the housing ben manager that I could stay on esa and get housing ben in the uc area because of being a special case ie sdp ...
  • poppy123456
    This will be to do with the announcement made by DWP in June of this year but there's been no further updates made yet. The announcement was that those currently claiming SDP will not have to move to UC if a change of circumstances prompts a move but it's not in place yet unfortunately. Further announcement expected sometime in the Autumn.
  • aylasnan
    Thankyou but why did the manager of housing ben say mark the application sdp and it will be accepted?
  • poppy123456
    Just goes to prove that some people from local councils often give out the wrong information. The changes haven't yet taken place and people claiming the SDP are still moving to UC with a change of circumstances. I'm also waiting to move house but refuse to do so until the changes are in place.
  • aylasnan
    I cant believe the manager of housing benefits has it wrong? Perhaps this is whats happening in the interim? The report did say no one would be made to go on UC so perhaps this is whats happening??
  • poppy123456
    Nothing has been approved yet so anyone claiming the SDP will need to claim UC if their circumstances change. As stated further announcements will be made and no further announcements have been made since June 2018.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.