Parking spaces — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Parking spaces

jacquie59
jacquie59 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2018 in Transport and travel
I am very concerned about the trend putting one cross hatch between 2 parking spaces and non the other side 2 new built shops have done this reciently.   I am disabled and have a disabled friend and am prevented from using the shops as we cannot open both doors wide to get out.  New Aldi both in skegness and the new Tamworth shops have both adopted it.  If my husband was still alive we would not have been able to use the stores.

Comments

• AlexandriaUK
    AlexandriaUK Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Hi we have some shops that have done this, it's too increase the amount of spaces available, if I need to drive and it's a day I'm requiring my chair we reverse in this makes it possible to have the space to get out depending on which side has the most room
  • fenfisher
    fenfisher Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    I allways the the spaces as I have lower spine problems and find it very difficult to get in and out of my car unless the door is wide open when I shop I only go where there are marked bay or I simply go elsewhere 
  • jacquie59
    jacquie59 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I feel pushed out with the new type of parking. 2 disabled people can't go together. It is possible to have more than one disabled in  car. 
  • JillyJ
    JillyJ Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    All the local shops where I live have changed the Disabled Parking Bays to mother and child and the DIsabled are no further away. This is madness, as people elect to have children I did not elect to be Dsiabled!  I also noted the Vans and supplies vehicles will respect the Mother and child spaces, but will not think twice before parking in a Disabled bay. I saw a CHinese resturant who had a Disabled bay where people would park and he was always told I have a small child with me so I need it. He placed a sign saying having Children is a blessing and you have chosen to have children a Disabled person cannot or stuggles to walk so do not park unles you are disabled. 
  • JillyJ
    JillyJ Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Waitrose, Asda, Tesco, Aldi, Lidl, Sainsburys and Co-Op are serial offenders of marking  the closet parking being designated for Mother and Child. These cars are often huge and they park encroachinh into a disabled bay where people need to open the doors wide. I could not get into my car due to the mindless parking of a women with 5 children who parked well into the the cross hatches and into the disabled bay! 

Brightness