Just failed my ESA. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Just failed my ESA.

Jimmy85
Jimmy85 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
Got the letter saying my payments would immediately stop. This is terrifying as I dont know when Ill next get paid. I was on the support group. I'll send of a mandatory decision Thursday. When do you think I could be before an appeals panel? I'll have to apply for universal credit as I'm in that area. If I win the claim eventually will it be backdated? Thanks and what do I do if I need a payment Thursday if that's even possible. Like an emergency loan. So worried. This happened before with pip and I got infront of an appeal and was awarded the money. But it took like 7 months. 

Comments

• debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi @Jimmy85
    If you apply for Universal Credit straight away.You May like to read this article.
    https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit/get-an-advance-first-payment
    It tells you how to apply for an advance if you have no money to live on before your claim is sorted.
       Debsidoo.x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

The first step to an appeal is a mandatory reconsideration (MR) and you have 28 days to request this. You should be the request in writing stating what you disagree with and why you think you should be placed into the support group. Knowing why you were previously in there will help at this point. If the MR fails and most do then Tribunal is the next step. 

If you apply for Universal credit then you won't be able to go back onto ESA, even if you win the MR or Tribunal. There's a 6 week wait for universal credit payments to start after you apply online, you can get an advance payment yes but this has to be repaid and the payments can be fairly high, which will leave you with less month per month. Housing benefit is included in UC if you claim this. If you apply for UC and claim housing benefit you'll need to contact your landlord to tell them about your UC claim and you won't be able to pay your rent for 6 weeks. 

If the MR decision remains the same and most do then when the Tribunal accept your appeal after you've sent the form off, you can then go back onto assessment rate for ESA IF you haven't applied for UC. The better option here maybe to wait until the MR decision. Applying for UC you'll be without money anyway so the wait is unavoidable. I'd advise you to get further advise regarding this and help with the MR/Tribunal stages. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jimmy85
    Thanks for responses guys. Seems some helpful stuff. I'm a little jaded right now but I'll read again later. Thanks again. 
  • Jimmy85
    When I apply for a tribunal I can still get esa whilst I'm waiting? Hope I've not got that wrong. Yeah I'll look on this forum before I send off for uc. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi Jimmy85

Poppy123456 is exactly right. You won't get ESA of any kind whilst you are going through the mandatory reconsideration, but once your appeal has been accepted by the Tribunal Service, then you can be paid ESA at the assessment rate again. 

If you have housing benefit, contact the council about this, as this can carry on all the way through from now - though you will need to give the council bank statements to show them that you have ao other income.

Get some local advice if at all possible. Get back to us here if not, or call the Scope helpline 0808 800 3333. 

Gill_Scope
  • Jimmy85
    The only issue with getting esa whilst appealing and waiting for tribunal is I failed pip In the past . It says on the dwp website if you've been found fit to work in the past you won't be able to get esa whilst waiting for tribunal although tbf I've never failed on esa before. I guess it's best to ring them. I hope they'll be quick with my mandatory second thing. 
  • poppy123456
    PIP and ESA are totally different and being refused PIP won't affect any ESA claim. You will be able to go back onto assessment rate for ESA once the Tribunal have accepted your appeal, if it gets this far. If you apply for UC then you won't be able to do this.

For your housing benefit then you'll need to speak to your local council and fill out a nil income form. Good luck with the MR. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Jimmy85
    Thanks poppy. So uc would be a step back in regards for esa or do they not even pay that? 
  • poppy123456
    If It was me I certainly wouldn't start a claim for UC, i'd hold on for the MR decision and see what happens. You'll have a wait of 6 weeks for your money anyway if you apply for UC. 
  • Jimmy85
    OK I'm gonna do what you said poppy. My only concern is I wait that time and then they refuse to pay esa whilst I'm waiting for tribunal. Sorry to be pessimistic its just I'm worried. Thanks so much for help tho. Really hope I get a second answer fast. What's the usual eta? 
  • poppy123456
    They won't refuse to pay you assessment rate for ESA unless you were found fit for work for failing to attend an assessment or if this wasn't the first time you've been found fit for work. See this link.
    http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/ask-cpag-online-can-you-get-esa-while-you-are-challenging-decision

There's no decision times for MR but hopefully not too long. I would still advise you to get help with this process. 

Support group descriptors here. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/employment-and-support-allowance/esa-glossary/1353-support-group-descriptors
    reg 35 here.
    http://www.cpag.org.uk/content/making-exception

• Jimmy1985
    Jimmy1985 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    This is me. Had to set up new account. Still no response from esa regarding second decision. Anyway to hurry them? I know they received my document. It's getting to the point I think I'll just do uc as I'm concerned with paying council tax and spare bedroom fee. Thanks for any advice. 
  • poppy123456
    Jimmy1985 said:
    This is me. Had to set up new account. Still no response from esa regarding second decision. Anyway to hurry them? I know they received my document. It's getting to the point I think I'll just do uc as I'm concerned with paying council tax and spare bedroom fee. Thanks for any advice. 
    Unfortunately no there's no way to hurry them. PLease do be aware that claiming UC there's at least a 6 week wait for your first payment, so it maybe worth your while hanging on for the ESA MR decision. If the decision remains the same then request the Tribunal as soon as you've got the MR decision letter.

I would speak to your local council about the extra payment for the bedroom tax. Housing benefit can still be paid even if you're not claiming ESA, you just need to fill out a nil income form.
  • poppy123456
    Did you put your MR request in writing and have you rang DWP to ask if they've received it?
  • Jimmy1985
    I've received my mandatory reconsider thing last week. Sent all that stuff of to the tribunal place. Rang them today to which they said they had received my appapplicat for a tribtrib hearing. So I guess its close to the point social security will start paying me basic esa. I hope I've done things right. Will they backdate me any money as I'm very hard up with all this going on.  Also I read online you need doctors notes to get basic esa pay whilst waiting for tribunal. I didn't realise that? I haven't got any since i got the letter saying I've failed esa. Will they still pay me? 
  • poppy123456
    Once the Tribunal accept your appeal and you have your reference number then you'll be able to go back onto assessment rate for ESA. Yes, fit/sick notes will be needed. If you haven't been claiming any other benefits while waiting for the Tribunal then if you want your ESA backdated then you'll need your fit/sick note to be backdated to the date you want it back dated to. So if this is the date you were found fit for work then the fit note needs to be backdated from this date. If it's not backdated then they won't be able to backdate your money. You'll be paid assessment rate of £73.10 if it's a single claim and you're over the age of 25.
  • Jimmy1985
    Thanks. I was in the support group so haven't needed a sick note for a long time. I've seen the gps in regards to presprescrips in recerecrec months. Perhaps they will backdate it. 
  • poppy123456
    As you were found fit for work then you will need those fit notes. I'd advise an appointment to see your GP as soon as possible and ask if he/she can backdate it to when your ESA stopped.
  • Jimmy1985
    If I don't get them backdated but get them going forward do you think they will pay me say from this week if thatstl the date of the sicknotes? 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2018
    They will pay you from when the fit notes are dated from yes but you'll need your Tribunal reference number.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.