What advice would you now give your younger-self? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What advice would you now give your younger-self?

2»

Comments

• Anderson
    Anderson Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello everyone , I would party less and have gone to Art college despite my mother .
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @Anderson!
  • Anderson
    Anderson Community member Posts: 2 Listener
  • AmyVW
    AmyVW Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    My advice would be -
    •  Being 'normal' is underated 
    • You will have friends, you will make friends and those friendships will last
    • You will do well in education
    • you will find your place in the world
    • You will go to university and get a degree
    • You just need to patient and in time you will be able to make some amazing memories
    • You will explore the world, not just be stuck in your town
    • You will get a job 
    • Seeing the world in a different way is amazing 
    • You might be rubbish a playing sports or riding bike but you can speak in front of a large audience
    • You arent the only one who has dyspraxia
    • You will have the most amazing life - travelling to meet some very famous friends, meeting new friends, gaining a degree, Chair of an award wining  social enterprise and attend the Royal Wedding

I mean some days I think how am I still going but I look back to how far I have came in 26 years and all the things i have achieved.

Amy 
    *Its all about seeing the ABILITY within the disABILITY*
    *People who are different their time is coming* Tracy Turnblad - Hairspray 
  • Sue52
    Sue52 Community member Posts: 78 Courageous
    Hello eveyone , not been on here for a while due to personal circumstances. 
    The advice I would give to my younger self ( I have sero negative arthritis, osteoporosis. 
    Do not knock yourself out in a job that pays good money but takes everything out of you.......... Take a role that you can easily cope with. Take things easy on yourself 
    xxx
  • DylanEvans
    DylanEvans Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
    Prioritise. I spent a lot of time trying to maintain the status quo (walking, mostly) to the detriment of my quality of life. Also spent a lot of energy trying to do silly things like laundry independently when there was no need.

For other people, walking or doing the laundry might be really important. I just try to think about what is actually important to me when my disabilities prevent me from doing it all, rather than maintaining a suboptimal status quo.

Brightness