ESA changes are taking their toll — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA changes are taking their toll

Options
HunterJ18
HunterJ18 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi everyone,
I have had my ESA payments stopped after a Capability for Work Assessment.
I have finally managed to get through to make an appointment to see someone at the local Jobcentre Plus. The phone for the place is constantly engaged and the DWP phone gives you the run around something chronic. 
I tried to apply online for an appointment and also to claim Universal Credit but wasn't able to as its not in my area yet....
I also tried to claim Jobseekers Allowance but can't because of having ESA in the last month which made me ineligible for it.
I rang the number on the Assessment letter and was finally put through to a living talking person who spoke to me about my ESA stopped payments and I told them I wanted to appeal against the decision. He put me through to someone who was able to fill in an online application with me giving details over phone.
So tomorrows appointment is for the JSA 'New Style' benefit and I can still appeal on the decision of payment stoppage.
I am severely depressed and this is pushing me back a lot more I lost both my parents just over a year ago and I am finding it really hard to come to terms with this...my depression wasn't taken into consideration...I just want to shut everything out as I can't cope with it anymore.
I also have to wear a BAHA and find it very hard to speak to people and the fact I struggle wasn't taken into account either.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @HunterJ18, and a warm welcome to the community!

First and foremost, I'm so sorry for your loss. Do you have any support for your mental health in place at the moment?

It's good to hear that you're appealing the decision. I hope your appointment tomorrow goes well, and do keep us updated on your progress. This page on DWP appeals may be worth a read, and feel free to come back to us with any questions: we have lots of knowledgeable community members who will do their best to advise!
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @HunterJ18 welcome to the community!

My thoughts are with you, if you ever need to talk to us, we will be here for you.

I really hope your appointment tomorrow goes well! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    HI,

Sorry for your loss.

As you've been found fit for work you now have 28 days from the date of the decision to request the Mandatory reconsideration. You should put this in writing stating what you disagree with and which group you think you should be in an your reasons why. Sending in evidence to support your claim will help because they rarely contact anyone for this, the onus is on you to make sure it's sent.

You say you've claimed New Style JSA? This is Contributions based JSA and is only for those who have paid enough National insurance contributions in the last 2 tax years from working and you can only claim this if your area is a full Universal credit area. Have you worked in the last 2 tax years or have you been claiming ESA for this time?

If you haven't worked in the last 2 years then you should be claiming Income related JSA with a sick note for an extended 13 week period while you wait for the MR decision on your ESA claim.

I really do advise you to get further help, advice and support with this MR and your benefits claim because it could be that you've applied for the wrong benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.