Escape from fires in residential homes — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Escape from fires in residential homes

connormcguigan
connormcguigan Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi. I am master product design engineering student currently looking into improving methods to evacuate disabled/mobility impaired individuals from residential homes in the event of a fire. To help further my research I am looking for some feedback from people within disabled community. Specifically I am wondering
a) How do you feel about the current evacuation methods & technology. (either in homes or flats)
b) Do you feel like these methods & technology could be improved to give individuals more independence when evacuating.
c) Have you any suggestion in how to improve the methods.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you have!

Comments

• JulesA65
    JulesA65 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    I have worked in residential units for Adults with LD and been a care worker. I think having to use the Evac chair is ok but if someone is wheelchair bound, they have to transfer to the Evac chair which can be a bit embarassing for them. Not sure how you would get round this. A hoist perhaps that could be attached to the wheelchair to help down the stairs? 
  • connormcguigan
    connormcguigan Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks very much for your response Jules. I completely agree that the main issue exists with having to move the from wheelchair to chair. I also feel it can be time consuming.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.