Driving — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Driving

Niclevi99
Niclevi99 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Has anyone claimed PIP stating they cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey due to anxiety or other mental health problems and they drive? 
Reason I ask is I have done so and the response from DWP was if my condition is that bad clearly I am a danger on the road and should lose my license.
This has caused me so much distress that I have had panic attacks because I am scared to lose my license. This is my life line as I can’t walk far or get the bus 

Comments

• topshoes
    topshoes Community member Posts: 442 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    Hi @Niclevi99 if i was you i would not take any notice what they have said they say all these things to all different people , at the end of the day they are no dr , if i was you i go to your dr and tell them what was said and it will be logged , please dont worry x  as long as you are not in danger to others on the road or yourself carry on driving x
  • pee14
    pee14 Community member Posts: 172 Courageous
    @Niclevi99 Well I know I wouldn't  want to get in your car with you. Stress and anxiety could make you loose controll of your vehicle. 
  • topshoes
    edited October 2018
    @Niclevi99 that was abit  below the belt what you said ,,,,i do know people who still drive who have mental problems and so on and taking pills for it all 
  • pee14
    The more reason they shouldn't drive 
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2018
    I have to admit that there is no way would I want to be in the car with the poster.
    Although I have had Motability cars on and off for many years, I gave up driving when I felt that I would not be able to cope and avoid the possibility of a high speed accident caused by another driver. On today's roads, you have to have a sharp and instantaneous and reactive mental capacity. Calm in all situations and patient when everybody around you is not.
    My wife used to do the driving simply because I felt that I was not safe.
    Notwithstanding the mental health issues, the medication that I take slows my ability to react.

There are plenty of other options - taxis, bus, train etc   
  • topshoes
    i even know people  who had epilepsy who was not allowed to drive  untill they had pills to control it , then they had to have a all clear from hospital and drs for  dvla so they can drive again
  • pee14
    topshoes said:
    @Niclevi99 that was abit  below the belt what you said ,,,,i do know people who still drive who have mental problems and so on and taking pills for it all 
    No not below the belt just common sence
  • topshoes
    i do  apologise @Niclevi99 for above that was for  @pee14 what i said below the belt x
  • lindadenise
    lindadenise Community member Posts: 302 Pioneering
    edited October 2018
    I would go to your doctor and get it noted also discuss how you can get your anxiety under control. 
    People have so many different opinions on here, if you feel you are capable of driving safely then thats what you need to put across.

• topshoes
    we  do not know if  @Niclevi99 have or have not seen a dr or is or not taking pills  x 
  • Niclevi99
    For a start pee14 I am on medication and do not drive or attempt to undertake any journey I do not feel comfortable with I have been driving for over 20:years without one single accident or speeding fine I have never had points on my licence and I have never used my phone whilst driving. I drive 6 miles a day on a journey I have been taking for 13"years. Quite frankly I find your comments extremely ignorant and wouldn't want to get in a car with someone who can't even spell simple words!!
  • Niclevi99
    Maybe I should've started by explaining this but on this site I didn't realise people would be so quick to judge. You sound just like DWP. I have had this condition for over 20 years and my doctor has never once said that I should not drive. 
  • topshoes
    edited October 2018
    you got me looking at all my spelling now  @Niclevi99 lol x 
  • pee14
    Niclevi99 said:
    For a start pee14 I am on medication and do not drive or attempt to undertake any journey I do not feel comfortable with I have been driving for over 20:years without one single accident or speeding fine I have never had points on my licence and I have never used my phone whilst driving. I drive 6 miles a day on a journey I have been taking for 13"years. Quite frankly I find your comments extremely ignorant and wouldn't want to get in a car with someone who can't even spell simple words!!
    @Niclevi99 please take time to read properly I never said you was on meds, @Topshoes said knows people on meds. 
  • pee14
    pee14 said:
    Niclevi99 said:
    @Niclevi99 please take time to read properly I never said you was on meds, @Topshoes said knows people on meds. 
    @You still shouldn't be driving if you can't follow a unfamiliar journey I agree with the DWP @Niclevi99
  • Yadnad
    Niclevi99 said:
    I passed my motorbike test in 1964 and car test in 1965 - both first time, with no driving lessons and within weeks of my 16th & 17th birthdays (mind you I had been driving tractors and all manner of trailers since the age of 10).
    When I was 19 I joined the Army and passed HGV tests.

I have never had an accident or points on my licence or even a parking ticket.
    I have owned and driven all manner of vehicles including high performance cars and bikes.

Yet because I knew that both with age, illness and disability I would not be as safe on the roads as I was in my earlier years I gave up driving. I didn't have to I just knew that my reaction times were getting slower whilst traffic on the roads was getting faster. There comes a time when having to stay in the inside lane of a motorway and trundling along at up to 70mph I felt that I was being a nuisance on the road to other users.

• Niclevi99
    I did read properly it was the  ' I wouldn't get in your  car with you ' part I was referring to don't be so condescending. I have never lost control of my vehicle and have full concentration when I drive. I see other people on the road that clearly shouldn't drive for example not indicating or undertaking on dual carriageways or not observing give ways or stop signs but I have always been fully alert and have even had to swerve and brake to avoid other people crashing into me! I can anticipate what  other drivers are  going to do before they even do it. If I ever felt like I was putting anyone at risk I would give up driving immediately .my original point was that the DWP were trying to be condescending as they have already concluded that I exaggerated all my symptoms and scored me 0 points. I hope that puts everyone's mind at rest! 
  • Niclevi99
    I learned to drive in the RAF and did my car, motorcycle, class 1 and 2 and counter balance and rough terrain fork lift truck i have driven in icy conditions and four feet of snow all without incident I sought advice from my Doctor. My husband has depression and has the same qualifications as me and drives a lorry for a living and the DVLA found him fit to drive as he had to complete a form and get a letter from our doctor. I think the only person who knows is the person getting behind the wheel so now I'm quite happy you wouldn't get in my car because I wouldn't want you there either 
  • Yadnad
    Niclevi99 said:
    I did read properly it was the  ' I wouldn't get in your  car with you ' part I was referring to don't be so condescending. I have never lost control of my vehicle and have full concentration when I drive. I see other people on the road that clearly shouldn't drive for example not indicating or undertaking on dual carriageways or not observing give ways or stop signs but I have always been fully alert and have even had to swerve and brake to avoid other people crashing into me! I can anticipate what  other drivers are  going to do before they even do it. If I ever felt like I was putting anyone at risk I would give up driving immediately .my original point was that the DWP were trying to be condescending as they have already concluded that I exaggerated all my symptoms and scored me 0 points. I hope that puts everyone's mind at rest! 
    Given those capabilities you mention I can see why the DWP would challenge your claim that you cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey due to anxiety or other mental health problems.
    If your mental health has degraded to that extent then I cannot see that you are as capable as you say you are - sorry but I would have handed back my licence a long time before it became that bad.

• Niclevi99
    Well clearly I misinterpreted their guidance on this activity  I am no danger on the road but I do happen to work for DWP in a different department so I do have all their guidance readily accessible to me and Social Security Law and tribunal decisions so will look further into it. I wasn't even born when you took your test yadnad so I imagine the it was different for you and if you don't feel safe then fair enough 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.