Pip award should i try for the extra 2 points — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip award should i try for the extra 2 points

Alybongo65
Alybongo65 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi ?? everyone warning ⚠️ long post

I’m new and have just found out I have been awarded pip enhanced 12 points for daily allowance and the standard for mobility 10points awarded till 2020 . 

I have Bi polar,  ptss , anxiety and depression I have high medication for them all , Im in therpy and under a phychiatrist ...

I am on esa in a support group 3years ,  I didn’t have any other benefits I found out that I may be untitled to pip , but after hearing so many story’s most negative about people losing there claims . 

I decided to call and see if I could get pip while waiting I nearly had a nervous breakdown & was put on dizapan , in the face to face I had a avocate with me who was lovely and supportive, but we had to stop the meeting half way as I got myself in such a tizz . 

I find it hard to go out Especially if it’s somewhere new or meeting people I don’t know most off the time unless someone is with me I won’t go out , I also won’t answer door , even to good friends, which has sadly lost me a few , since finding out I’ve bipolar ive become even more housebond and very unsocial 

one off the reasons I’m asking is should I go back and see if I can get the mobility enhanced I’m 2 points away . 

I did have a car a old mini 13 years old was mylife line and only way I got out and I was in control, if I suddenly wanted to get back home I could and I felt safe in my own zone  ...can’t take buses or trains to many people and I feel out off control ...it triggers my anxiety big time .

Any advice would be great , many thanks in advance ? sorry for the waffle . 

Comments

• Saracen
    Saracen Community member Posts: 66 Pioneering
    Hi Aly
    Welcome to the forum it sounds like they have awarded you the mobility points on the planning a journey descriptor dont quote me on this I am only going by my own experience .
    Be careful because if you go down the road of appeal for 2 points then you may or may not lose a lot more they are not concentrate and the decision is yours there are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum who are extremely helpful that could give you more sound advice be patient they will answer your post , I am awaiting my decision with fingers crossed I got nearly the same mental issues as you have but also other mobility problem s especially my legs but they dont go by your illnesses or diagnoses just how it effects your day to day living hope this helps u  in some way  but be patient scope advisors on here I found priceless through my pip process .
  • Alybongo65
    Thankyou for takingthe time outto message, it’s terrible that we are to scared to dispute it in case we are penalized for what we all ready have .... I noticed that on another page someone was saying that Benefits & work guides you can trust is a great support ? 

I wish you all all the luck it’s been stressful process, but a happy outcome especially as I’ve struggled on esa
    nearly loosing my house surviveing on £125 a week for everything. If it wasent for my son who works full time helping paying the bills I would have lost my house for sure . 

I look forward to hear from the others in the group , & Thankyou again for your comment and first support in group ? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,941 Disability Gamechanger
    HI,

I'm guessing you scored the points in descriptor D "cannot follow the route of an unfamiliar journey without another person, an assistant dog or orientation aid" is that correct?

The descriptor refers to “an unfamiliar journey” rather than “any unfamiliar journey”. Accordingly, claimants can satisfy the descriptor by showing that they typically need to be accompanied by another person or an assistance dog or to use an orientation aid on the majority of days when undertaking unfamiliar journey.

To qualify for 12 points in descriptor F cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistant dog or orientation aid.

The descriptor refers to “a familiar journey” rather than “any familiar journey”. Accordingly, claimants can satisfy the descriptor by showing that they typically need to be accompanied by another person or an assistance dog or to use an orientation aid on the majority of days when undertaking familiar journeys (it’s not necessary to show that they need such support for every possible familiar journey on most days) This means that if you can go out on a familiar journey (somewhere that you're used to)  on the majority of days on your own then you won't qualify for this descriptor. 

If you claim for mental health rather than physical health then you won't score points in the moving around part because that descriptor is for those that have a physical disability.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alybongo65
    Hi yes I got the D for my 10 points , so sorry if I get this wrong but is that your way off saying because it’s a mental health problem and not physical I would get rejected so just leave it ? 

I will I’ll say I could definitely not go on my own to a new place in added I would have to use a Tom Tom & even then I’m a nightmare as I always get lost and become very overwhelmed and panicked...if you see me you would be omg she’s mad 

I’ve also got glaucoma it’s controlled with eye drops and I’m monitored yearly ,  In the future could be blind my mum is already SSI registered blind it sadly runs in the family 

im waffling just very nervous and not sure if I should or shouldn’t ask for a review even chatting on here has caused my anxiety to be sky high ...

• poppy123456
    You can't score points in the moving around part if you don't have problems walking because  of a physical disability. Moving around part isn't for those with conditions caused by mental health. You need to look at the criteria for the descriptors.

Do you go out alone to a familiar place? if so how often do you do this?

Using a sat nav won't score you any points because it's not classed as an aid.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Alybongo65
    I go to doctors appointments therpy and hospital unfortunately I’ve no choice in the matter to go alone but I make sure I’m organized but will say I don’t sleep the night before and I’m in and out no messing about very nervous and it can get me either very high or on a massive low that can keep me inside for days even weeks ...

i think im getting the picture!!! But what I’m trying to say is because it’s mental not mobility I’m never going to get the higher amount so fighting a loseing battle ? 
  • poppy123456
    The fact that you suffer from mental health rather than a physical disability has nothing to do with it at all. Lots of people claim Enhanced mobility by scoring 12 points in following and planning a journey.

You have to understand the descriptors and what they mean and moving around part is not for those that suffer from mental health. Going to appointments is something you're familiar with and is classed as a familiar journey so you won't qualify for Enhanced mobility.
  • Alybongo65
    Ok but not all my appointment or journeys are familiar ,I don’t go to them on a day to day basis ...that’s only one part off my journey history it’s like a puzzle there’s lots off parts 

sorry if im not getting it ...I wish I had just not bothered ? feeling very defeated 

thanks for advice 
  • poppy123456
    edited November 2018
    As you go to appointments alone and you don't need assistance from another person then this is classed as a familiar journey because you're used to going to that place. You've planned the route, it's something you're used to doing even if it's difficult, you can still complete that journey. There's absolutely no point in asking for a Mandatory reconsideration if you don't meet the descriptor to be awarded Enhanced mobility.

I'm not sure how you can feel defeated when you've been award Enhanced daily living and standard mobility. That's amazing, you should be feeling really happy that you've been awarded this.

• Alybongo65
    I am pleased this is exactly why I wish I had not put this comment on here thanks for making me feel bad for asking 
  • Alybongo65
    Admin please can you delete this post please and I will leave the group ...I am feeling very overwhelmed and judged which I didn’t expect I was only asking a Q to be told I should be happy I am I was just finding out if I would should go for the extra points ...something I regret 
  • poppy123456
    I'm sorry i made you feel bad, that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to explain what the descriptor means because asking for the MR you could risk losing everything you already have. If you don't meet that descriptor then you can't score the points. You should never feel bad for asking a question.
  • poppy123456
    I most certainly wasn't judging you. I was trying to help you understand the difference between the 2.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Alybongo65

Sorry to learn of your distress.

I note in your first post, that your assessment was stopped at half way point.

Do you feel that you were able to explain your mobility problems due to your mental health? This is important, as the assessor needs to understand in detail your needs, not a notional person.

Suggest you discuss this with your Advocate that attended with you.

As you explain you do undertake some journies on your own, but not by choice.

This should not bar you from being awarded more points, as if you did not attend hospital appt, it could have servere impact on your health and well being.

Please seek guidance from welfare rights advisor.

Hope this helps.

• Alybongo65
    Thankyou I definitely was not able to say everything it was dreadful I had to leave the room and get air also she asked if I wanted to stop the meeting as I was so distressed and she was worried ...Thankyou I spoke to my Avacate and he said as I d been awarded he’s closing my case ....I’m all over the place this has been dreadful experience...I hate to say it but it nearly got me to a point off taking my own life ....I’ve also got a massive weight with a court case about possibly losing my house Dreadful situation...

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi

I thought you must have been in a distressed state at the assessment. Sorry to learn of the negative impact this process, has had on you.

Have you got legal advice, about your housing situation?

Have you spoken to Shelter for guidance?

• Ronin
    Ronin Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    Benefit and Works website is worth looking at, it explains all the descriptors and has some excellent guides.
    It is about £20 to join but I found it very helpful.
    Incidentally my friend and next door neighbor seems to have the same problems as yourself and he was on lower rate for mobility and was awarded the rate you are on, so your award seems right but can always be challenged in the future if things change.
    Good luck.
    Ronin.
  • Fight4Justice
    Fight4Justice Community member Posts: 63 Pioneering
    edited November 2018
    I get the same award for my autism based claim i.e. enhanced daily living and standard mobility. Unless you have some kind of physical disability that prevents you from being able to walk, you won't score anything for the Moving around section. To get 12 points for the Planning & Following a Journey section, you need to be unable to go to a "familiar place" by yourself. I think in your case, it seems like you can do this. So you can't get the 12 points in the Planning & Following a Journey section. The 10 points you received I'm guessing is for being unable to go to an "unfamiliar place" without help, this is the second best you can score for a mental health based claim, and it's good that you got it.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    atlas46 said:
    Hi
    Have you got legal advice, about your housing situation?

Have you spoken to Shelter for guidance?

As a warning Shelter is not the be all and end all place that will successfully solve a housing crisis. They are probably the best around for those in rented (especially housing association properties) but when it comes to owner occupied issues they are limited.
    I am aware of an elderly guy (73) that had an interest only mortgage. He owed approximately £28,000 secured by a property worth in excess of £300,000. He did not have the capital to repay the debt and being a pensioner could not afford whet the bank wanted him to agree to - a repayment mortgage over 3 years costing in excess of £1000 a month. 
    Shelter's only advice was to plead with the bank to reduce the repayments. They refused so he had to hand the keys over to the bank (Barclays) and try to find private rented accommodation.
  • Christianuk
    Christianuk Community member Posts: 14 Listener
    Hi qll i know itd an old post ans pwople do see this untill now  march 2024

People wirh daily living  enhanced and wish to do MR foe enhanced mobility who are 2 points or moee away feom it  can do MR secrion 11 ans 12 planing ans following a journey  its is really hard to score points on this criteria  most likely you be granted with evidence peoven on moving around

Foe mental health this is considered under the daily living  

Anyrhing to do wirh walking  bkindness  etc with evidence then part 11 ans 12  mobility

If you planing to do appeal under MR  letter be speciic what part you want them.to have a looked at such ex.mpl

Daily living (agree)
    Mobility part (desagree)
    Moving around (desagree 
    Planing ans folowing a joueney(disagree)

To which your ehnaced rate is not effected and only what you want them to to look at it again this is the same story for the pip tribunal.part  

Same as MR what you disagreeing  which component and explaoning the situation do not use mental health  foe mobility as this does not scoee you points 

If appealing to tribunal then you menrioned  all your health condition  inckuding new medication and any test resukts or awsiting  any refferals 

Soeey foe my spelling  hope everyone  understanda as nor much on here people would comment ans be specific to help others understand clearly 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.