Dealing with freezing weather and pain — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Dealing with freezing weather and pain

AnkyieSpon
AnkyieSpon Community member Posts: 138 Pioneering
It's certainly freezing cold today in London I don't feel cold but i feel cold at the joints & no matter how many layers I wear doesn't help, make sense? Anyone else & any tips? #Fibromyalgia #AnkylosingSpondylitis #osteoarthritis #Chronicpain #raisingawarenes
Tina 
(Ankyie Spon)
I'm a Pain Warrior

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @AnkyieSpon, I'm sure others will be able to relate to this. Definitely not an easy time of year for those with joint pain!
  • AnkyieSpon
    It's always good to share things that help. I'm not embarrassed to say I'm wearing my thermal undies ? 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @AnkyleSpon…..I have to agree that as the temperature drops all the aches and pains worsen.  Sadly winter hasn't even started yet and the next 3 months will be unbearable for some of us.

In my area -10 is not uncommon some nights only rising to +2/3 during the day. I want to move to the Canaries for winter but have to hope for the lottery to come up!

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• AnkyieSpon
    Oh if only we could wish for a persciption sending us away to warmer climates ? 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • daisyboo2011
    daisyboo2011 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Hi AnkyieSpon I have fibromyalgia but I tend to get the worst symptoms when the weather is hot my body actually prefers the cold except my hands they are almost always cold and often end up with chilblains x
  • AnkyieSpon
    That must be why my body gets so confused. I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and Fibromyalgia oh and a little bit of Osteoarthritis to add to the mix ? 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • JulesA65
    JulesA65 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    I have started to get osteoarthritis in my hands so find i am going to bed in fingerless gloves to keep my hands warm and reduce the pain in the morning 
  • AnkyieSpon
    Compression gloves are great for painful hands. I take hot water bottle to bed. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • XenasMum
    XenasMum Community member Posts: 27 Connected
    I find the cold is a real problem for me especially my feet. I wear 2 pairs of socks and leggings under either jeans if it's not that cold or thick trackies. Always have a vest of some description under a top sometimes t-shirt too then a top. My joints especially in my legs really hurt. Any one got any other tips?
  • AnkyieSpon
    Hot bath with Epson salts is great
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • Firefly123
    Firefly123 Community member Posts: 530 Pioneering
    I'm really struggling with the change in weather my whole body hurts. The colder it's getting the pain is constant. A trip to somewhere hot would most definitely help more than the pain killers 
  • Angiebabes2410
    Angiebabes2410 Community member Posts: 70 Courageous
    I am also really struggling with the cold more so this year than before and every year it seems to be getting worse I actually went out wearing knickers leggings and jogging bottoms with thermal socks and boots I had a bra t-shirt a fleece jacket a coat hat scarf gloves but I was still freezing cold and when I came in I put the heating on but I kept my fleece on until about 3 a.m. when I dared to take it off and jumped under my thick duvet but still I am cold and in a lot of pain so I pray you are doing ok
  • helen73
    helen73 Community member Posts: 11 Courageous
    Hello I'm new hers I'm also suffering badly from the weather but can't put on too many layers as suffer with hot  flushes a lot which are supposedly because of my meds or at least that's what the doctors tell me. I hate winter and would love to just move abroad somewhere it's hot all year round. 
  • AnkyieSpon
    I totally understand Helen. Thing is I suffer in the summer too, like this year humidity was so bad I was in agony. Im ok in dry heat. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • AnkyieSpon
    I am also really struggling with the cold more so this year than before and every year it seems to be getting worse I actually went out wearing knickers leggings and jogging bottoms with thermal socks and boots I had a bra t-shirt a fleece jacket a coat hat scarf gloves but I was still freezing cold and when I came in I put the heating on but I kept my fleece on until about 3 a.m. when I dared to take it off and jumped under my thick duvet but still I am cold and in a lot of pain so I pray you are doing ok
    Totally get that, I never used to feel cold like I do now. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I wear fingerless gloves when my hands feel sore or cold. I wear fluffy bed socks in boots. My neck gets really cold but I also get hot flushes so I wear cotton or soft scarves. Layers. My winter jacket has built in hand cover.what a bonus! I suffer in hot weather more due to flushes but find it hard to heat up in winter. Beenlooking at hot pockets. Anyone tried them?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 587 Listener
    I have no tips, I'm the same way and I'm no better when it's too hot lol. I'm still learning about FM though.
  • AnkyieSpon
    @debbiedo49 sorry for late reply. What are hot pockets? Am interested to know. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • AnkyieSpon
    @WF2k we can only learn as we go and share with each other. That's why social media and forums like this are so important. I personally wear layers rather then heavy winter jumpers so easier to cool down and doesn't flare up anxiety. 
    Tina 
    (Ankyie Spon)
    I'm a Pain Warrior
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2018

Hot Hands Hand Warmer Value Pack, Pack of 2(5 pairs each) 

Brightness