pip tribunal wait time ??? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

pip tribunal wait time ???

misstracey
misstracey Community member Posts: 85 Pioneering
hiya everyone does anyone know how long the pip tribunal  takes ive been waiting  9 months at the minute and have not heard any news yet when it could be thanxs

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,350 Disability Gamechanger
    Some are waiting a year and more. Give them a ring and ask them how much longer do they think it's going to be, they'll tell you approximately.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • misstracey
    misstracey Community member Posts: 85 Pioneering
    thankyou poppy123456 seems  a never ending wait
  • affii1993
    affii1993 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    Waiting since May 2018
  • Mikey44
    Mikey44 Community member Posts: 74 Courageous
    Call the Tribunal service ask them how long is the wait in your area as different areas vary?? my wait is 14 months,it took them 30 minutes to stop my PIP and 14 months to wait to talk to them about it at Tribunal 
  • anonymous1981
    anonymous1981 Posts: 15 Listener
    hiya everyone does anyone know how long the pip tribunal  takes ive been waiting  9 months at the minute and have not heard any news yet when it could be thanxs
    Hi, I’m in Middlesbrough and the current waiting time for a tribunal date is 39 weeks, purely due to the enormous number of people appealing against the dwp. Had my pip stopped in may, I’ve been waiting since. It just causes unessesary worry and stress, leading to more health problems. It truly is a satanic procedure. Why else would the government want millions of disabled people to go through this suffering? I hope everyone wins their appeal, we shouldn’t have to jump through hoops to prove our disability! Soz for the rant ?
  • Lorry
    Lorry Community member Posts: 23 Connected
    I waited a year to go to tribunal (Devon), I won and they have just sent me my letter confirming it. Good luck 
  • Cheshire2
    Cheshire2 Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    Hi,

We lodged my wife's appeal at Chester in early January.

In April we rang and were told it would be another 19 weeks, taking us to the end of August.  

We had heard nothing by the end of September and rang again on 3rd October, to be told we had waited 38 weeks and the current average is 33 weeks!   After a long pause the operator said we were 5 weeks over and she could chase it up.   Plan to ring again next week to find the result.

We'll keep you informed....
  • poppy123456
    Hi,

The waiting times are just a guide. Lots of areas have backlogs for Tribunals and a lot of people are waiting as long as 1 year, sometimes longer. Is your wife appearing in person? This will give her the best chance of a decision in her favour. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Cheshire2
    Hi,

The waiting times are just a guide. Lots of areas have backlogs for Tribunals and a lot of people are waiting as long as 1 year, sometimes longer. Is your wife appearing in person? This will give her the best chance of a decision in her favour. Good luck.
    Yes, I have seen people waiting 1 year+.   Still seems odd that we are so far over the average for our area.   Not that one expects anything to be easy with PIP!

Yes, my wife will be appearing in person.   I had read on this forum that it's the best thing to do.   I must say although we have only just started posting, the Scope forum has been one of the most useful sources of info.  Thanks everybody!
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • Kevin1960
    Kevin1960 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Good luck with your tribunral 
  • Cheshire2
    For info.
    Further to my post of 9 Oct., we rang HMCTS again and they said they posted a letter yesterday giving us a date at Chester in mid-November.   That will take the total wait to 44 weeks.
  • Weedavey72
    Weedavey72 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    I’ve been Given my date for December - this is over a year since I appealed ... hope yours is quicker 
  • Cheshire2
    My wife had her Tribunal at Chester last week.   That was a 44 week wait when they said the average in our area was 33 weeks(!)

If anyone else is heading for Chester, the building is pretty well hidden behind a derelict girls' school behind the amphitheatre.   The panel sit on a raised bench and ask some pretty searching questions.   

They posted the result to us which arrived two days later.   Hardly dare open the letter, but we had won!!!
  • Weedavey72
    Weedavey72 Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    Cheshire2 said:
    My wife had her Tribunal at Chester last week.   That was a 44 week wait when they said the average in our area was 33 weeks(!)

If anyone else is heading for Chester, the building is pretty well hidden behind a derelict girls' school behind the amphitheatre.   The panel sit on a raised bench and ask some pretty searching questions.   

They posted the result to us which arrived two days later.   Hardly dare open the letter, but we had won!!!
    That’s good news on your win. Well done for persevering
  • donna63031
    donna63031 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    Hi,
    I am awaiting for my date, in my area its over a year waiting time, Bradford.
    How long where you and your wife at the  tribunal for and did you feel you could answer all the questions put to you by the panel, did you take any paperwork with you.
    Sorry for asking soo many questions, 
  • justg72
    justg72 Community member Posts: 173 Pioneering
    Hi misstracey and all who are going to a tribunal,
    I am from Bradford too and I have been told 54 weeks I could be waiting so that could be September 2019 in all I would have been waiting 1 and a half years. If I win it will be for a very short time as it runs out in March 2020. My heart goes out to each and everyone of you, who is having to fight for their benefits. Its so hard living and coping with your health problems daily without all the added stress and suffering from been turned down for PIP!  The long tribunal waiting times just make the situation worse. I wish all of you all the luck in the world and hope you all receive the benefits you all rightly deserve.
  • poppy123456
    justg72 said:
    Hi misstracey and all who are going to a tribunal,
    I am from Bradford too and I have been told 54 weeks I could be waiting so that could be September 2019 in all I would have been waiting 1 and a half years. If I win it will be for a very short time as it runs out in March 2020. My heart goes out to each and everyone of you, who is having to fight for their benefits. Its so hard living and coping with your health problems daily without all the added stress and suffering from been turned down for PIP!  The long tribunal waiting times just make the situation worse. I wish all of you all the luck in the world and hope you all receive the benefits you all rightly deserve.
    Reviews are done 1 year before the award is due to end. With an award until March 2020 your review will be March 2019.
  • Cheshire2
    Hi,
    I am awaiting for my date, in my area its over a year waiting time, Bradford.
    How long where you and your wife at the  tribunal for and did you feel you could answer all the questions put to you by the panel, did you take any paperwork with you.
    Sorry for asking soo many questions, 
    Taking the questions in turn:

Worth ringing the number on your Tribunal letter to check how long before your case will be heard.    We both got the impression that our case had been "lost" till we rang.

We arrived at the building 15 minutes before the appointment - there is an airport style search and it makes sense to sit and compose yourself.  The previous case over-ran so we were 15 minutes late going in.   From the case actually starting to being back on the pavement outside I reckon was about 45 minutes, but we didn't really note the time.   Also there was only one descriptor under discussion.   Have read of cases going on over an hour.

I have a folder with everything in it, so took that.   I would suggest at minimum you take the bundle of documents that the court sent (it's a copy of everything you submitted plus DWP reply).   Also originals of any documents just in case judge wants to satisfy himself they are genuine.   

For a couple of weeks beforehand we had read through the papers and I tried to ask my wife what I thought were the most probable questions so she could practice saying the answers out loud.   Don't aim to remember 'perfect' wording, just an outline of things you can say or important points.  Take a pause for breath before you start talking.   She was happy answering all the questions.   The only exception was the one asked by the disability expert, which seemed long and confusing.   My wife merely re-iterated her problems and the judge seemed happy.

I had to keep quiet while my wife was questioned, but I was allowed to speak afterwards - I had a few rough notes prepared,   

You WILL feel nervous, but remember these are the first intelligent people you are going to talk to about the claim.   You are an expert on the subject in the sense that nobody knows more about how your problems affect you.   

Finally, try this YouTube video.   I know it's about Northern Ireland, but it was useful for us.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16zduVcxsLM

Hope all this helps you, and that you get a hearing soon.

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Cheshire2 said:

Also originals of any documents just in case judge wants to satisfy himself they are genuine.   
    A very good point especially given that there are some excellent 'artists' that can forge anything including what appears to be medical reports, and test results! I have even seen what appeared to be a genuine HMRC self assessment that purported to show very little income - the paper, the printing and even some of the calculations looked perfect - that is until I had hold of a copy sent to me by HMRC showing figures of income that would make your eyes water.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.