How many points should I get mobility ? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How many points should I get mobility ?

PIPQuestions
PIPQuestions Community member Posts: 32 Connected
I can walk fine without any aids, I understand where I am and can navigate the area without an aid. However due to my severe social anxiety I cannot go out on my own and need someone with me everytime I go out, so while I am able to do all of that I can't do it alone due to mental problems

How many points mobility should I be getting for this if any ?

Comments

• Heidi415
    Heidi415 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    12- Pip descriptor 1f: Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid.  12 points.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    I can walk fine without any aids, I understand where I am and can navigate the area without an aid. However due to my severe social anxiety I cannot go out on my own and need someone with me everytime I go out, so while I am able to do all of that I can't do it alone due to mental problems

Are you saying that you have never left your home on your own? Shopping? seeing the GP? Maybe putting the rubbish bins out every week?

Those are the things that an assessor will be thinking.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    Putting the rubbish bins out? This has nothing at all to do with following and planning a journey.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Yadnad
    Putting the rubbish bins out? This has nothing at all to do with following and planning a journey.
    First of all the OP said that they never go out of their home alone. Obviously it depends where the bins are placed outside and if they have someone to accompany them to the bins.

Saying that they never leave alone will obviously be a subject that the assessor will want to interrogate.
  • poppy123456
    It will depend on the reasons why you need someone with you and you need to show the reasons why you need the support from another person.

11d or 11f only apply where a claimant could not reliably make their way along a route without an accompanying person, assistance dog or orientation aid. The presence of another person out of preference, is not sufficient.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Heidi415
    I agree with @poppy123456 I recieve pip enhanced mobility for the same reasons as @PIPQuestions and I put my rubbish bin out. I also go out into my garden alone. It all depends on your circumstances which the assessor will try to identify in the initial questioning when they ask what type of property you live in.

If for example I lived in a block of flats and used a shared garden I would not be able to do these activities. 
  • poppy123456
    Even if you were able to go out into the shared garden, this isn't what following and planning a journey is about.
  • PIPQuestions
    Heidi415 said:
    12- Pip descriptor 1f: Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or an orientation aid.  12 points.
    That's what I thought but my assessor already knew that then asked me if I got lost locally would I know my way home, would I know what bus to get into town etc ? Which I obviously answered yes. Why ask that if I should already have been getting highest points ? 
  • poppy123456
    Have you had a decision recently that you weren't happy with or are you waiting for a decision?
  • Heidi415
    @PIPQuestions this is what the government website states:

'The descriptor refers to “a familiar journey” rather than “any familiar journey”. Accordingly, claimants can satisfy the descriptor by showing that they typically need to be accompanied by another person or an assistance dog or to use an orientation aid on the majority of days when undertaking familiar journeys (it’s not necessary to show that they need such support for every possible familiar journey on most days).

This descriptor is most likely to apply to claimants with cognitive, sensory or developmental impairments, or a mental health condition that results in overwhelming psychological distress, who cannot, due to their impairment, work out where to go, follow directions, follow a journey safely or deal with unexpected changes in their journey, even when the journey is familiar. A claimant who suffers overwhelming psychological distress whilst on the familiar journey and who needs to be accompanied to overcome the overwhelming psychological distress may satisfy descriptor 1F'.

Were you awarded any points for mobility? Also when was your decision made? The government are currently reviewing all claims because of mental health being ignored previously.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    Hi im conusèd what is a orientation aid? could it be a scooter? Also what if the psychological issues fluctuate ie anxiety and panic due to ptsd?
  • poppy123456
    An orientation aid is not a scooter. It's a white stick/cane or guide dog. Fluctuating conditions apply yes but it depends how often you need support in this descriptor and your reasons for needing the support.
  • PIPQuestions
    Yadnad said:

Are you saying that you have never left your home on your own? Shopping? seeing the GP? Maybe putting the rubbish bins out every week?

Those are the things that an assessor will be thinking.
    Live with my mum. She puts the bins out. I go shopping with her and always have someone with me to the GP. 
  • PIPQuestions
    edited November 2018
    We have a garden but I don't go out and sit in it.

Last time I went out on my own was around 10 years ago when I was at right track ( school thing to help people get up to standards as I stopped going to school at the age of 13 or 14). Mum came with me, went in myself but ended up walking out and never going back at lunch time so I was only there for about 3 hours. 

I have spent many years in the past never going out period, even with mum or other relative. The only time I would go out would be maybe once or twice a year to my grans at christmas. This obviously hurt my social skills massively which only makes my anxiety worse. However I'm not as bad as back then any more.

I am awaiting my decision from the DM. Been on ESA for about 10 (?)  YearsYears  my GP and mum helped me get, was told many times to apply for pip but plans always fell through due to numerous reasons . I am just trying to add up how many points I should be awareded, the pip self tests say I should be on enhanced for both.

I was also in hospital for many months this year (multiple visits with pancreatitis ) where I stayed in my hospital bed all day until relatives came to visit the nurses weren't happy that I wasn't up exercising and what not and would complain about it regularly. Also had a major panic attack and walked out of the ward and then eventually hospital.... I was rushed from GP out of hours to the main hospital in an ambulance with blue lights, I was alone this one time as my dad had the car he drove up behind the ambulance and came in as soon as he got here. But I'm guessing this wouldn't count as making a journey alone as I was barely conscious and had no real option and the only thing I really remember was being given morphine in the ambulance the rest is supper fuzzy
  • poppy123456
    The PIP self test is only good if you fully understand the descriptors and there's a lot that do. It's always very difficult to advise on what could be scored on an internet forum because no one knows how your conditions affect you.

As advised, ring DWP for a copy of the report.
  • Yadnad
    vickyanne said:
    Hi im conusèd what is a orientation aid? could it be a scooter? Also what if the psychological issues fluctuate ie anxiety and panic due to ptsd?
    All this has now got me confused.
    I also suffer from PTSD following a botched armed robbery that I tried to stop and received 2 x 9mm bullets for my trouble. In addition I have frontal lobe damage also caused by trauma that affects my thinking and communication skills. 
    Having said that the DWP on three occasions refused to accept the conditions could conceivably create an impact with my life even though I am maxed out on 200mg Sertraline for depression as well.

• PIPQuestions
    edited November 2018
    Actually I just remembered I went out on my own on holiday in Spain however was heavily under the influence of alcohol (which helps a lot, but takes a lot despite not being a drinker only on holiday not at home). Alcohol helps (never drink at home country as I know I'll become too reliant on it to solve my problems and family had alcohol problems and lost multiple family to alcohol). Also since I have pancreatitis I don't think I can even drink any more anyways?

Diazepam also helps a bit, but I've only been given it once from my dad when I kept having panic attacks at haven holiday and another time during one of my hospital visits. I have asked my GP for them. But as expected she refused (presumably because I'd need to be on them long term)

I don't take any medication for mh, I hope this does t hurt my claim .I have been on 150mg sertraline that done nothing and started giving me some side effects, she switched Mr to 15mg mirtazapine that was even worse so I stopped that , she put me back on 100mg sertraline but as it was doing nothing I stopped it on my own accord, I don't like taking tablets at the best of times, let alone medication that does nothing . I think my Dr has given up on antidepressants too as she always tries to refer me for therapy now but I don't think I can do that just now (also the whole idea of it sounds stupid and pointless but I realise this mindset is probably why I need it...)
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    It is not a good idea to stop taking prescribed medication without talking to your GP. It it is not having the desired effect then you should get a second opinion. It may also be worth talking to a pharmasist as thet are more aware of different medications than GPs
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • PIPQuestions
    edited November 2018
    It is not a good idea to stop taking prescribed medication without talking to your GP. It it is not having the desired effect then you should get a second opinion. It may also be worth talking to a pharmasist as thet are more aware of different medications than GPs
    I stopped and cut down months ago with no issues coming off it.  Saw no point going to my GP about it as she would've just tried to convince me to stay on them. But I stopped anyways and coming off was ease with no side effects or withdrawal symptoms. I did tell receptionist I was cutting down and asked for 50mg ones which my Dr left no issues anyways.

Fwiw I was on them 8 months so I have them a good shot 
  • Yadnad
    Actually I just remembered I went out on my own on holiday in Spain however was heavily under the influence of alcohol (which helps a lot, but takes a lot despite not being a drinker only on holiday not at home). Alcohol helps (never drink at home country as I know I'll become too reliant on it to solve my problems and family had alcohol problems and lost multiple family to alcohol). Also since I have pancreatitis I don't think I can even drink any more anyways?
    I too have chronic pancreatitis caused surprisingly by alcohol.
    No you should not drink alcohol or smoke.

Mind you I understand your comment about drinking.
    I hit the cider when they closed down the mental health day service leaving us all nowhere to go for help. An enormous amount of cider a day topped up with whisky in the evening all on top of a cocktail of anti depressants and anti psychotics. I was singing with the angels for a couple of years until the pancreas decided to give up big time!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.