Doctors note — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Doctors note

Anthony1987
Anthony1987 Community member Posts: 93 Listener
Hi I'm just wounding if u have to pay for a doctors note for the tribunal as got told it's like £20  for  a full report or somethingGP phoning me some time soon.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

A lot of GPs charge for a letter for support for a benefits claim but a letter from your GP isn't the best evidence you can send to support a PIP/ESA claim. GPs don't know how your conditions affect you, they will only know what you tell them. Paying for a letter from your GP is a waste of money for support with a PIP/ESA claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Anthony1987
    Okay thanks it was citizen advice what told me to asked for full medical report 
  • poppy123456
    Evidence should state exactly how your conditions affect you and letters from GPs very rarely state this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Okay thanks it was citizen advice what told me to asked for full medical report 
    Sounds like another brush off from the CAB. At one time they used to take over the running of a claim all the way from helping to fill out the claim form, obtaining evidence right through to working with the claimant should their case get to a Tribunal.

• Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    May I suggest. Your are entitled to your full medical records, as held by your GP surgery. Some surgery's charge, about £25.00. If you can get the last wto years, and make notes about how your various conditions impact of daily living and mobility, that will go a lot further than a standard letter from the GP. They only confirm what you have ben diagnosed with, not how it impacts upon you personally.
  • Anthony1987
    Yeah there are messing up big time twice I've been back and kept saying we can't find u on the system even tho got appointment this friday finllay they called me back to get a appointment next week   even put the the phone down when i was hold to them last week the woman on thw phone said sorry like 
  • Anthony1987
    Hi i just got a evidence letter form the GP it's  everything on it she even put need  medical supervision  and input  do i send it to pip? Or just wait for the tribunal
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    You should send any relevant evidence to the tribunal as soon as you can. It is easier to do so when you make your submission so that it can be referenced with all previous evidence
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Anthony1987
    Okay thanks all the forum been sent to the tribunal it was just waiting for letters who I'm  seening  etc  pip as citizens Advice said not to take loads of  new evidence with me but surly they would need to see them if i have any new evidence
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    the tribunal might accept one sheet of evidence on the day but it is better to submit it in advance so that it can be considered with the bundle
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Anthony1987
    Okay i will pop into town get photocopies so i need to send it to the tribunal court place instead of pip? I've  got a letter saying from tribunal court they have received my letter so just waiting on the date now 
  • poppy123456
    You need to send it to HMCTS and not DWP and make sure you put your reference number on the top.
  • Anthony1987
  • affii1993
    affii1993 Community member Posts: 103 Courageous
    From May 2018 anything u ask from doctor should be free by law they can’t charge you!! It’s illegal to charge you now 
  • poppy123456
    affii1993 said:
    From May 2018 anything u ask from doctor should be free by law they can’t charge you!! It’s illegal to charge you now 
    This is correct for medical records. For a letter of support for a benefits claim then very often they charge which is perfectly within their rights.
  • Anthony1987
    Yeah she didn't  charger me very strong letter as well 
  • Anthony1987
    A community nurse is involved with all this medical side  as i Shaw him today so he said he will come to the appointments with me so he can wright down everything the docters say etc and there sending me over to the 700club
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 118 Listener
    Peasmold_01
    I tried to get my medical file and was told I would have to pay per page ..i think they said 50p each page and I didnt know some Drs charge £25 ...i was charged that for a Drs letter that the DWP insisted I got only to find it was dismissed.
  • poppy123456
    vickyanne said:
    Peasmold_01
    I tried to get my medical file and was told I would have to pay per page ..i think they said 50p each page and I didnt know some Drs charge £25 ...i was charged that for a Drs letter that the DWP insisted I got only to find it was dismissed.
    If it's paper copies of your medical reports you've asked for then they'll be charging you for printing them. If you ask for digital copies then this would be free.
  • Peasmold_01
    Peasmold_01 Community member Posts: 144 Pioneering
    I've decided to come back to the forum, for this posting. Poppy 1234 is absolutely correct, digital copies of medical records are free. There is no law that says doctors cannot charge for letters or hard copies of medical reports  It is entirely up to the doctor or the practice policy. All GP's are self employed, and or employed by a practice, within the NHS. The same rules apply if you ask for a medical or medical report for insurance claim or any other personal requirements. I would add, not all doctors or their practices charge. However, in respect of medical reports, digital copies are free,. Thus, download and print off yourself  If you cannot do that yourself, have the download sent to an email address of a friend you can trust  and get them to print it off. 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.